O/T CRguy's diagnostic ramblings

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CRguy

O/T CRguy's diagnostic ramblings

Postby CRguy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:55 pm

Having read a BUNCH O' topics here for the last 9½ years or so .....
dealing with Docs and their diagnosing, follow ups, scans etc.etc.etc.

I do not recall ever sharing this little gem from an acupuncture seminar during my own training in 2001 :

" I don't make a tentative diagnosis... and then try to "prove" it ....
I make my tentative diagnosis and THEN ... do the FULL follow up to try to prove myself wrong,
thereby assessing all the things which "could not be" .... but often ARE ! " -R.S.

Very interesting perspective, only afforded those who truly embrace Integrative medical practice,
and practice in a socioeconomic medical realm which would allow the necessary "follow up" .....

to extrapolate : younger patients who are "dismissed" by their Docs 'cos ...
they are too young for CRC .....Or have colitis / hemorrhoids / IBD / IBS / etc. etc. etc.
AND IN FACT DON'T.... :twisted:

NOT that every test needs to be done on every patient,
just that the "standard" needs to be more flexible ... as a starting point
AND Docs need to be LESS attuned to what "should not be" BUTT... MORE attuned to, what in fact, could be.

just a thought here, as I review a whole buncha' posts and topics of current relevance, on forum and over the years.
We all kind of take things for granted, Docs too.

Kind of like Top Gun :
" Hop 31 ... Just a walk in the park Kazansky ... "
and then .... Goose is gone ....

NOTHING should be taken for granted
Not on this Journey ... ever

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Lee

Re: O/T CRguy's diagnostic ramblings

Postby Lee » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:46 pm

I am so grateful to my PCP for my colonoscopy referral. That referral saved my life. What were my symptoms, bleeding hemorrhoids. That was all. All those tests that should have been a warning flag came back negative or normal. My PCP figured those hemorrhoids were my excuse for getting my baseline colonoscopy early in life. Handed the script to me, said make the appt today because it will probably be 6 months before it get done.

Yep took 3 months just to see the GI doc, on the way out the door, nurse just hung up with someone that canceled their scope. Asked me if I wanted it, sure lets get this behind me. The rest is history.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

AnnClare

Re: O/T CRguy's diagnostic ramblings

Postby AnnClare » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:43 am

My colorectal surgeon believes the 'standard colonoscopy screening age of 50' needs to be pushed waaaay up, like in the early 30's, at least.

Having been Dx'ed at 41 (with zero 'risk factors' and the only symptom being blood in the stool here & there - even my bloodwork at the time of Dx was 'normal'), I fully agree with her.
There was a story in the news a few months ago about how more and more people in their 20's & 30's were being diagnosed with CRC. Clearly, some things need to change.
42 yr. old female
Rectal cancer Stage 3C T3 N1 M0 - Sept 2015
28 rounds radiation w/Xeloda - Nov - Dec 2015
2/17/16 - Surgery to remove rectal tumor, lymph nodes (2/20+), ovaries & fallopian tubes, temp. ileostomy
3/28/16 - 9/26/16 -12 rounds FOLFOX w/full oxi
Ileo reversal 10/27/16; Port removed 12/1/16
Lung mets confirmed 2/6/17
March-May 2017 - brain mets; brain rad. 5/9-5/29/17

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”