Should I still be so tired?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Rob in PA

Re: Should I still be so tired?

Postby Rob in PA » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:59 pm

AnnClare I like your chutzpah! Latte and living life. Keep it up and my absolute best wishes to you. Hell....I'm still tired.,get used to it. :D
Rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:53 am

AnnClare,
I've got a pair of bright pink athletic shoes that I've affectionately named the 'ass kickers' in your honor.
And the three of us have an appointment with the treadmill pretty soon.

Hope you're feeling a bit better this weekend, and have something fun to do.

Best Wishes,
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

AnnClare

Postby AnnClare » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:52 am

peanut,

Aw, shucks - I'm honored and humbled. :)

Had the port put back in yesterday. In the afternoon I took a nap, which I believed went on for hours, but when I checked the clock (i.e., my cell phone), it had only been one hour.

Ever since last Thursday I feel like I'm struggling more each day with unsteadiness while walking, headaches when I wake up, and a general, overall "head pressure" sensation. From what I've read online by others who've undergone whole brain radiation, this is not uncommon. I'm 1 1/2 weeks out from my last zap, and this seems to be par for the course for how I'm feeling. I still have many Decadron tablets left in the bottle, but I refuse to take them. I don't want to get back on the steroid train unless I absolutely have to.
Yesterday afternoon my headache responded nicely to one Tylenol. (Although it didn't help the unsteady, foggy-headed feeling, but I didn't expect it to.)

Went out in the backyard a little while ago to walk some laps, but after just 6 (I shoot for 12 on each outing), my head was like, "No. Let's stop and rest." So now I'm back on the sofa, 2nd cup of coffee nearby.

Happy Weekend, my fellow warriors! :)
42 yr. old female
Rectal cancer Stage 3C T3 N1 M0 - Sept 2015
28 rounds radiation w/Xeloda - Nov - Dec 2015
2/17/16 - Surgery to remove rectal tumor, lymph nodes (2/20+), ovaries & fallopian tubes, temp. ileostomy
3/28/16 - 9/26/16 -12 rounds FOLFOX w/full oxi
Ileo reversal 10/27/16; Port removed 12/1/16
Lung mets confirmed 2/6/17
March-May 2017 - brain mets; brain rad. 5/9-5/29/17

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:16 am

AnnClare:
Enjoy that cup of java/coffee. Coffee can actually reduce some types of headaches by its vascular effects.

No one "wants" to take a corticosteroid. No one "wants" to take decadron (dexamethasone). Its effects are potent and its side-effects are significant.

I a Queen of steroids, of sorts. I have been on corticosteroids for 20+ years and and depend on daily steroids to sustain life due to Addison's disease.

Your situation with use of dexamethasone is vastly different and more complex now than it was when it was being used as a pre-med for your chemotherapy or as an tool to dampen inflammation during your pelvic radiation. Your use of dexamethasone now is targeted to lower intra-cranial pressure. And that is a Big Deal.

When you feel a headache, you are feeling effects of pressure on pain receptors that line the brain/bone interface. Deep brain tissue has no pain receptors. That is why you see surgical patients who are awake (with twilight sedation) undergoing deep brain stimulation and electrode placement for epilepsy and Parkinson's.

Dexamethasone is not a medication that you can take ad-lib . . . i.e it is not a medication that you can take once in a while when you feel a headache. It is not like taking a tablet of Tylenol.

I encourage you to touch base with your radiation oncologist to discuss: 1. your headaches and balance issues; 2. and when/where/and how to incorporate decadron/dexamethasone to hopefully improve how your body feels living in your body space as you do and to enhance your quality of life. It's OK to get your medical team's advice and guidance on this important issue.
- Karen -
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”