Recovery following Bowel Obstruction Surgery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Arielt6

Recovery following Bowel Obstruction Surgery

Postby Arielt6 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:38 am

Hi!

My husband had total colectomy in January 2014, J-ponch created in April 2014, then the Takedown surgery in January 2015.
He's had countless blockages that have all resolved on their own by eating a very strict diet of meats, starches, dairy and only blended fruits, vegetables, nuts etc. Last Friday night, 5/26/17 he had a blockage that was so painful I called 911 and he was taken to the hospital by ambulance. An x-ray showed that he had a twist in his instestine where the scar tissue was its worst, the section of the bowel that has been the repeat offender in these blockages.

He had surgery very early last Saturday morning, 5/28.His healing had been going well, the epidural was keeping him comfortable and he had been slowly drinking clear liquids. On Wednesday, 5/31 he ate a piece of GF bread. This was followed by hours of nausea and eventual vomiting. The vomit was bile only, none of the bread he ate. After vomiting he felt better over night. The next day (yesterday, 6/1) he tried bread again, only for the nausea to return. He vomited overnight (again only bile) and also ended up having 3 bowel movements.

I am so confused as to why He would have bowel movements, but be vomiting bile? The nurse cant seem to give us an answer. Other thoughts are that the liver has "woken up" before all the intestines.

Anyone have ideas why the vomiting? He is getting an NG tube now and I know how everyone hates those. I thought after a week he would be home too??
Just feeling discouraged. Anyone have input or ideas? Would love to hear from you all. . .

Thank you

TXLiz

Re: Recovery following Bowel Obstruction Surgery

Postby TXLiz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:15 pm

I had a bowel obstruction and right hemicolectomy.

I didn't eat solid food for 7 days after the surgery. After surgery I was in the hospital for 7 days, and was only given clear broth, decaf tea and coffee, popsicles, etc.

Perhaps it is too soon for your husband to be eating solid food? Maybe he can try broth and popsicles?

When I left the hospital my husband took me to get food and I wanted nothing. Food wasn't my Buddy again for quite some time. Like a month.

Good wishes! TXLZiz
Vomiting and blockage 9/19/16 46 y F
R hemi colectomy 9/20/16
Stage 3 B CRC, located in cecum
3 out of 16 lymph nodes positive
perineural invasion/lymphovascular invasion
infiltrating, mod differentiated adenocarcinoma with a mucinous component
separate tumor nodules present in pericolonic adipose tissue
MSI-high
Baseline PET scan clear 9/16 CEA 0.5
FOLFOX 10/16- 3/17
April 16th, CT scan clear. CEA 1.1