RFA vs Lung met surgery in Germany

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
crazylife

RFA vs Lung met surgery in Germany

Postby crazylife » Tue May 30, 2017 7:46 am

Does anyone know the difference between RFA and the surgery done in Germany?

DH has a few lung mets. He's having one removed, but others they will try to shrink with chemo at some point. Watching them for now to see if they grow. The one that is being ablated did grow.

Seems like if we went to Germany, they would just remove them all, right? Would love any insight.
Wife to DH, 41 years old, diagnosed 11/15
Stage 4, Mod diff, 13/24 LN, 1 liver met
Colon/liver resection at MSK, 11/15
8mm lung met (not confirmed) and enlarged lymph nodes 1/16
12 rounds of folfox (9 with Oxi) 6/16
NED - July 2016
NED - October 2016
3 lung mets - March 2017
7 lung mets, May 2017
RFA to largest met, June 2017
Lung mets growing slowly, October 2017 (off treatment since June 2016)
Right lung surgery, November 2017
Left lung surgery, January 2018
NED - May 2018

peanut_8

Re: RFA vs Lung met surgery in Germany

Postby peanut_8 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:09 am

Crazylife,

I'm by no means an expert on the this subject, butt think you're on the right track. They do remove all of them. If I were ever to develop lung mets, it was always in the back of my mind to do go to Germany or London and have them removed.

I think our member Sophy has been to Germany to have mets removed. You can try and search the forum by using her name to pull up old threads on the subject. I think there have been other members that have similar stories but unfortunately don't recall who they are.

Best Wishes,
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

Sophy

Re: RFA vs Lung met surgery in Germany

Postby Sophy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:06 am

Crazylife - this is a difficult decision and I hope my experience can help.

The surgery done with the lung laser is like an ordinary thoracotomy (large incision, maybe broken ribs) but the tumours are removed with a laser which cuts and cauterises at the same time. This means that instead of cutting the lung with a scalpel which needs at least a 3-4cm margin to be cut out of the lung the laser only needs a 1-2mm margin. Up to 100 mets can be removed as loss of surrounding tissue is minimal, Dr Rolle told me he developed his laser because he could not remove more than 4 mets with traditional surgery. With the lung open to view the surgeon can see and feel the lung, in 40% of cases finding and removing mets not visible on scans and therefore missed by non-invasive procedures. Also the surgery can be repeated if needed.

If you look at this link our amazing friend Maia has brought together many threads and links about the lung laser surgery and also the ADAPT chemo protocol I have been using for nearly three years.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57644&p=454418&hilit=Maia#p454418

This isn't a certain way to a cure as both CB and Mastan who posted in these threads have died but they both lived longer than with traditional treatment and I have had no further recurrence in the 34 months since my third lung laser surgery.

Sophy
dx T3N1M0 Feb 2011 when children age 11, 7 and 2
Xeloda/rad March 11, LAR June 11 temp ileo
Xelox 6 rounds, NED
Lung mets Oct 13
Laser surgery Germany Jan 14. 3 mets left lung.
Laser surgery UK Jun and Aug 14 one met each lung, NED
Aug 14 Started Xeloda and Celebrex (ADAPT)
June 20 CT shows nodule, bronchoscopy confirms is scar tissue, still NED
Dec 20 stopping Xeloda continue celebrex, cimetedine
Aug 21,March 23 scans show still NED
March 2023 CURED - discharged from Oncology, no more scans or follow up

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”