Lower anterior resection post op 2 months leak?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Larguy

Lower anterior resection post op 2 months leak?

Postby Larguy » Fri May 26, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi,
1st post, I had a LaR about 2months ago and it was pretty rough process. I had been doing good until 2 days ago. 2days ago I felt like I had severe flu symptoms to include body aches chills, hot flashes, diarrhea, stomach aches. I took theraflu and felt better the next day, still had diarrhea but the aches and chills were gone. I do have discomfort in the area of the surgery , a definite dull pain that has been persistent, this pain is new. While the aches and chills are gone and I have not noticed I high fever I do feel warmer that normal and last nite and this morning woke up sweating. So now my symptoms are just the the warm flashes with light sweats and stomach pain. I called my dr and they think it my be bacterial an prescribed me flagyl 500 for seven days. Unfortunately this is Memorial Day weekend so everyone will be closed for the next few days. The nurse told me if I experience a fever of 102 got to Er.
Was wondering what symptoms are for leak. Does this sound like one. Ps. I haven't really been eating much last few days cuz I've felt really horrible and I don't want to make possible leak worse if that's what it is. Any thoughts or ideas much appreciated...
Cameron

dmondgirl

Re: Lower anterior resection post op 2 months leak?

Postby dmondgirl » Fri May 26, 2017 8:52 pm

My fiancé had a leakage three days after they did the LAR and they found out because he complained about chills and back pain.... they did a scan without contrast and that's where they found it
Fiance – Diagnosed 7/ 2015 @ 41yrs old- rectal cancer
Initial staging - T3N0M0
4 tx of Folfox/5FU
28 radiation with Xeloda
LAR surgery 3/17/16 final stating T2N1M0.

Rough Recovery
9/16-Recurrence @ resected area
Biopsy - Poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma, with signet ring cell features & neuroendocrine differentiation.

8 tx of Folfiri! No shrinkage everything stable .. lymph nodes behind his abdominal area grew a little bit
4 tx of Erbitux + Irinotecan- No shrinkage everything stable

Larguy

Postby Larguy » Fri May 26, 2017 10:19 pm

Did they have to do another surgery, my body is so beat up not sure if I can handle much more, I have lupus and Sjögren's syndrome so this has really sent me over the limit. I had hernia repair and then 6wks later the lar. :?

dmondgirl

Postby dmondgirl » Sat May 27, 2017 7:55 am

Larguy wrote:Did they have to do another surgery, my body is so beat up not sure if I can handle much more, I have lupus and Sjögren's syndrome so this has really sent me over the limit. I had hernia repair and then 6wks later the lar. :?

No no surgery , the interventional radiology put a drainage that came out thru his "butt cheek" and we used to irrigated with saline water and also every 3 weeks we used to go and they will check if it was healing and if there was no more leakage.
It took a while for his to heal but I have read others heal like in 3 weeks or so. They also gave him antibiotics for a week and that's pretty much all they did to heal the leakage
Fiance – Diagnosed 7/ 2015 @ 41yrs old- rectal cancer
Initial staging - T3N0M0
4 tx of Folfox/5FU
28 radiation with Xeloda
LAR surgery 3/17/16 final stating T2N1M0.

Rough Recovery
9/16-Recurrence @ resected area
Biopsy - Poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma, with signet ring cell features & neuroendocrine differentiation.

8 tx of Folfiri! No shrinkage everything stable .. lymph nodes behind his abdominal area grew a little bit
4 tx of Erbitux + Irinotecan- No shrinkage everything stable

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”