Pills vs. Pump

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
TXLiz

Re: Pills vs. Pump

Postby TXLiz » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:51 pm

My onc said pills had in his experience worse side effects.

I had a pump and I disliked it intensely, but if the side effects of pills would be worse I'd choose the pump.

I got used to the pump. Feeling worse with pills would be bad, the ill feeling from the pump was bad enough.

Good luck to you whichever you choose.
Vomiting and blockage 9/19/16 46 y F
R hemi colectomy 9/20/16
Stage 3 B CRC, located in cecum
3 out of 16 lymph nodes positive
perineural invasion/lymphovascular invasion
infiltrating, mod differentiated adenocarcinoma with a mucinous component
separate tumor nodules present in pericolonic adipose tissue
MSI-high
Baseline PET scan clear 9/16 CEA 0.5
FOLFOX 10/16- 3/17
April 16th, CT scan clear. CEA 1.1
Lynch "inconclusive"
Colonoscopy 10/5/2017 clear

kellywin

Postby kellywin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:42 pm

Pills. I took them during 5.5 weeks of radiation and after surgery with Oxi. I had zero problems/zero side effects with the pills. I also chose not to have a port, took the Oxi straight into the vein. It wasn't a picnic, but I didn't have to have the surgery to put the port in or out. I was only planning on 6 Xelox cycles, so in the vein was doable. If you had to do more than 6, I'd say do the port for sure. But the vein was doable.
Kelly, mom 14 yo girl
Dx 11/15/12 Rectal Cancer @ age 40
Stage IIIC
5.5 weeks Xeloda & Radiation - complete 2/5/13
Colectomy 3/12/13, 7 of 14 nodes positive - no ileo
4/24/13-8/20/13 - 5 rounds Xelox, 1 Xeloda only

LeonW

Postby LeonW » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi All,
I was on pills for half a year; 8 three-week cycles with a short extra holiday between 3 and 4. Thus have no experience with the pump. But considering what is being said in this topic, I'm glad I did the pills (Capox)

What I really liked about the pills is that I was in control, each cycle. Day-1 (infusion day) was the conscious start of another round, each time. Found them important, long (08:30-17:30) day. Mostly boring, uneventful days, felt in good hands / plenty of attention. With weird neurological effects on the way back home once the day was over. Then feeling sick for three days (first day the worst (pretty bad), thereafter being much better each day.

I didn't mind taking the pills during the 2 weeks after infusion - convinced myself that they were my friends in the fight with the intruder. Living the 3rd week felt great each time. Referred to it as my holiday week, with time for some going out (careful shopping), celebrating another round under the belt (dinner+sip of wine in a nice, friendly, nearby Italian place), consciously gaining strength in preparation for the next cycle. Mentally celebrating each 3-week step.

I *think* that because of this all, I had less reason to feel a patient throughout the chemo months.

Again, I have no pump experience and may well be rationalizing. But being aware of the day-to-day effects was a big help. also knowing that the pills were my friends/allies, made it bearable. I've no regrets.

My 2-p.
Best wishes, Leon
Dec 2012 - CC 2 unresect liver mets, CEA 41.8 (MM 65yrs)
Jan 2013 - colectomy @ spleen 2/26 nodes IVa T3N1bM1a
Feb-Jul - 1x Xelox-7x Xelox/Avastin, shrinkage from #3
Aug - 2x PV embolization (both failed)
Sep 2013 - R liver resect, 25d hosp (liver failure/delirium, lung emboli, encephalopathy), no living cancer (pCR)
2014/15 - recovery, scopy: 2 polyps
2016 - new town/life
2018, scopy: 2 polyps
2018/20 low (1.0-1.4) CEAs/clean CTs: 4x2014, 6x2015-17, 3x2018-20
next June 2021!

horizon

Postby horizon » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:43 pm

LeonW wrote: Living the 3rd week felt great each time. Referred to it as my holiday week, with time for some going out (careful shopping), celebrating another round under the belt (dinner+sip of wine in a nice, friendly, nearby Italian place), consciously gaining strength in preparation for the next cycle. Mentally celebrating each 3-week step.

I *think* that because of this all, I had less reason to feel a patient throughout the chemo months.

Oh God yes. I lived for that third week. It was a huge help for me. No pill, no infusion, and I did my best to pretend I was "normal" during that time.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”