Need advice for my grandmother

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Annavelik

Need advice for my grandmother

Postby Annavelik » Tue May 23, 2017 7:46 pm

Hello,
I felt the need to reach out because what the Drs are telling my grandmother seems so wrong. She is a 76 year old with colon cancer in Russia. I believe she was diagnosed at stage 3, as she had to get a couple lymph nodes removed. She had 2 rounds of radiation and surgery to remove her tumor. Has a colostomy. Forward 6 months, she has been weak, poor appetite, low hemaglobin, blood work off, goes to the doc to find out the tumor is back, same place, apprx 3cm, no metastasis. Her oncologist is refusing to operate due to her weak state or do chemo, she can't do any more radiation and they are recommending hospice...does that even sound right? Her cancer hasn't spread, she is not having pain, besides being super fatigued bc of the low blood count etc. They are telling my family that the cancer is "poisoning " her system and can't do anything unless she gets her strength up....it just sounds so wrong to me...has anyone had to deal with this?

daisydaisy

Re: Need advice for my grandmother

Postby daisydaisy » Wed May 24, 2017 10:53 am

Hello, Annavelik! Where exactly in Russia is she? She should try and get a second opinion at least.

Annavelik

Postby Annavelik » Wed May 24, 2017 11:23 am

She us in Tyumen, a large city. She does have access to the best physicians available.

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri May 26, 2017 7:05 pm

Hi Anna,

I don't know Russia that well, butt if she can get a 2nd opinion at a major cancer treatment center. There is such a thing as light chemo that might help her. If she is weak, surgery may not be a good idea. This is major surgery. Because she had radiation, I assume she had rectal cancer. And yes, if she had the full dose, I don't believe they can radiate that same area.

Is is possible for you to go with her to her Dr visits?

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”