Ya Gotta Love Doctors

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
JudeD59

Ya Gotta Love Doctors

Postby JudeD59 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:24 am

Saw my oncologist today for my 4 month checkup. He's doing iron studies and thyroid tests to try to figure out why I still feel so tired and lousy. If nothing shows up on those, he wants me to see my GP and have him run some autoimmune, lyme disease, etc. tests. Whatever.

While I was there, I reminded him that I had an oozing spot where my incision was closed in August of 2015. The spot just suddenly started oozing about six months ago. At my last appointment, I showed it to him and he said it was probably a stitch working it's way out. About a month later, a sharp black stitch poked through. I told him he had been right about what was causing the oozing. He asked me if I had pulled the stitch out and I said, "No way. Every time I think about pulling that stitch, I imagine a sweater unraveling and I don't want to know if that thing is attached to other things that need to stay stitched together." He couldn't stop laughing. He actually doubled over laughing at me. He said it wouldn't pull apart like a seam and it was probably just the knot that worked it's way loose.

Then he looked at it and stopped laughing. He said, "I'm not comfortable pulling that out. I don't have the proper instruments and I'm not sure pulling it out is a good idea. Let's let it work it's way out on it's own for a while more and if it bothers you, make an appointment with your surgeon and have him remove it." Oh, okay. It's a laugh riot when I don't want to tug on the thread holding my guts together, but when it's up to you to take it out, suddenly it's not so funny anymore.

I'm fine with him not removing it. It doesn't bother me and I'm sure it will eventually fall out like a splinter that works it's way to the surface. But I just think it's funny that he gently mocked me for not pulling it and then wouldn't do it himself.

If CEA and blood studies come back okay, I see him again in September and have my CT scan in October.

Judy
56 yrs old, wife, mother to 4 daughters
RC Stage II T3N0M0 DX April 2, 2015
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
Xeloda and radiation finished 06/15/15- CEA 242
CEA right before surgery 81
LAR performed 8/12/15 Temporary ileostomy
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
PET scan 11-4-15 All clear
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Folfox stopped due to bad reaction
Reversal 2/17/16
CEA 2/3/16 1.7
CEA 3/31/16 1.3
CT Scan 4/12/16 All Clear
Port removed 4/21/16
CEA 5/24/17 1.4

Joannerogers

Re: Ya Gotta Love Doctors

Postby Joannerogers » Tue May 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Haha too funny!
53yo married 27 years, 2 children, 24 and 25
Diagnosed april 23,2015 rectosigmoid
Starting CEA 1845
Port placement and liver bx April 27
Folfox started april 29
Avastin added on May 6
Stage IV crc with mets to 50% of liver

10/13/15 dc'd transfusion #12...toxic
Pet/ct scan on 11/3/15
20% liver resected all margins clear 11/30/15
8/18/15 cea 21.
9/15/15 cea 13.9
10/13/15 cea 14.4
1/22/2016 cea 2.5
LAR 02/15/16 all clear

MissMolly

Re: Ya Gotta Love Doctors

Postby MissMolly » Tue May 23, 2017 8:07 pm

Judy:
Here is where your skills as a writer shine. You are able to bring levity to the doctor-patient interaction.

Physicians know what they know. Which is limited. The truth is that there is a lot about the human body and disease processes that physicians do not know and that remains unknown and, as yet, undiscovered.

Thank you for sharing your writing skills and for sharing a smile.
- Karen -
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”