Liver blockage-Oxaliplatin Hail Mary

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ACPdiddy
Facebook Username: Albert Pierce

Re: Liver blockage-Oxaliplatin Hail Mary

Postby ACPdiddy » Tue May 23, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi Elenitsa,
The one option they're giving you doesn't sound great, obviously. If you haven't been to Princess Margaret recently (as in since you got the "we're basically out of options" talk) please go back for another consult. And go to any other big cancer center you can. Maia is absolutely right, if they're not calling you back, just keep at them. Call every number for every doctor on their website, explain that it's a life or death situation, sooner or later someone will take care of you.

That trial Maia recommended looks good too. Here's the contact info at Princess Margaret for that: Lillian L. Siu 416-946-4501 clinical.trials@uhn.on.ca.

At one point I felt like the second opinion was what you did when got your diagnosis. But I think it's really worth doing every time you're at a treatment 'crossroads'. With a complex situation like your husband's, you need the best minds in the field thinking on it, preferably several of them. And if you get the sense a doctor is just going through the motions with you, try turning the tables on them. Say, "Okay doc, let's pretend you just got this diagnosis for yourself. What would you be thinking about that we're not already doing?" Believe it or not, that's worked for me, at least to some extent.

Lee

Re: Liver blockage-Oxaliplatin Hail Mary

Postby Lee » Fri May 26, 2017 5:12 pm

Maia wrote:BTW, Lee. You always says nice things to me, that I don't even know how to respond; they just make me blush. But your permanent support to all in this forum, new and old, your caring attention so important questions don't go unseen, your willingness to share your experience... wow. Your words always make me happy, each time I visit the forum. xoxoxo

Thank you, you made my day.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”