Edible Marijuana and Pain Control

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
scohow66

Edible Marijuana and Pain Control

Postby scohow66 » Sun May 21, 2017 7:24 am

Hi all - any input/experience using edibles to help manage post surgery (LAR) pain and to aid in sleeping? I am about 4 weeks post op and still have signifiant anal pressure, pain and trouble sleeping. Looking for options outside of pain killers (oxy) to manage.

Thanks

Scott
52 Year old male
Dx with RC 10/2016 (T2N0M0)
Port implanted 11/2016
Rad with 5FU December 2016-January 2016
LAR robotic with temp loop ileo 4/2016
ypT0N0M0 - cPR to chemo/rad
Ileostomy reversal 10/2017
LARS

benben

Re: Edible Marijuana and Pain Control

Postby benben » Sun May 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Hey Scott, I'll be 5 weeks post LAR tomorrow.
I got some edible chocolates that were 10mg THC and 10mg CBD.
I also got some CBD 15:1 ratio in vape form.

I'd suggest sticking with all edibles if you can. Vape reduces 95%, supposedly, of the smoke - but none-the less it is still going into lungs.

Here's what I've found.
CBD - has bit stimulative yet calming effect. Overall pain is drastically reduced with 2-3 drags off vape. Hunger is increased.

the 1:1 chocolates. First one I ate about 1/3rd and 2 hours later was in mild quantum state of existence.
I've since built up resistance and 1/3rd of candy does not produce a trip. What is produced - decrease in pain, increase in hunger, increase in sleepiness - depth of sleep.

While I've slowed my use down as I go into Chemotherapy tomorrow and want to be of clear mindset to get a feel for base chemo state of being, I find the best combination
was to take a few drags during the day of CBD then 2 hours before I want to go to sleep eat 1/3rd candy. Usually about 1.5-2 hours after ingesting the thc/cbd 1:1 I'm knocked out and usually don't wake for 4-5 hours at least.

The only strange thing that may or may not be related at all - is that the use of CBD while overall decreasing pain seemed to increase a pressure or discomfort in the lower tail/bone - rectal area.
I'm not certain it was related - may have just been more related to some healing/scar tissue being flushed in my resection area. But I've stopped the CBD for past few days and that sensation has also diminished.
That said my bowel movements seem to also be transitioning more to "normal" as I was going 9-12 times daily and past couple days have been 5-6 times with more solid stool.

anyhow, that's my experience. I hadn't used any mariJ for over 20 years. If you're already a consumer you may find the 1:1 ratio to low for you. Guy at dispensary was saying like 25 or 50:1 were what a lot of folks were using in cancer treatments, studies suggest higher rates of CBD fair better with killing of colon cancer cells as well.
----------------------
3/29/17 diagnosed CRC - 44 y/o Male
4/17/17 ULAR - Straight anastomosis - no ostomy.
Path: low grade T3n1m0 - moderate diff.
KRAS - NO, MLH1/PMS2/MSH6/MSH2 - Normal.
5/3 med port install
5/22 folfox - first treatment.
3rd treat, delayed - low ANC - reduced to 90% OXI
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
Treats 8-12 - NO OXI, Luke & 5FU
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

Stewsbetty

Postby Stewsbetty » Mon May 22, 2017 1:01 am

Hi Scott,

I didn't use edibles but used the CBD oil. I was first attracted to it because a friend told me it helped her with sleep. I had already started chemo and was having issues with sleep (steroids and worry). I found that it helped with nausea, appetite and sleep. This was my first experience with marijuana in any form and I found it helpful. My friend that recommended it is undergoing treatment for another cancer and has 2 crushed vertebrae. She experiences quite a bit of pain and says the CBD oil keeps it in the manageable range.

Hope that helps.

Beth
42yo At diagnosis. Female in BC, Canada
Dx: CC ascending
Right Hemi colectomy 06/16 clear margins
Adenocarcinoma 6cm High Grade
pT3 pN2a Stage 3
10 out of 16 lymph involved
MSI-h, Kras mut, Braf wild
Finished chemo Feb. 2017
PET scan showing active area April 2017
July 2017 CT showing LN mass and spread to other LN
Stage 4
Aug 2017 failed Fofiri
Sept 2017 keytruda scans every 3 months showing shrinkage and stability
November 2018 CT shows only 1 small tumour left
September 2019 clear CT finally NED!!!

scohow66

Postby scohow66 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:38 am

Thanks for this feedback. I have some edible candies that I am looking to experiment with and hoping it will help with pain and sleep. Will keep you posted, but appreciate this info.

Scott
52 Year old male
Dx with RC 10/2016 (T2N0M0)
Port implanted 11/2016
Rad with 5FU December 2016-January 2016
LAR robotic with temp loop ileo 4/2016
ypT0N0M0 - cPR to chemo/rad
Ileostomy reversal 10/2017
LARS

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”