New member: An Introduction

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Childwoman81@
Facebook Username: WandaStandingtall Coleman

New member: An Introduction

Postby Childwoman81@ » Sat May 20, 2017 1:45 pm

I am a 35 year old working mom. On may 08 2017 My life took a turn for the worse... I worked a 12 hour shift with no problems I stop home after work and picked up my kids to go with me to pick up my Fiance from work. Upon arrival of his workplace I began to get a bulging pain under my ribcage..I also started feeling hot and nauseous..I told him to drive because I had all of a sudden was feeling sick the closer I got home I started feeling like I had been poisoned . I got home and requested for a ambulance because I was getting bad then the vomiting started...I was mistreating by the ambulance driver and when I got to hospital the Dr didn't run test to see what was wrong diagnose me with stomach virus and sent me home..still in pain and throwing up I spent the next day in my bed sick throwing up bowels and in pain it was beyond torture the next morning my Fiance took me to my Primary Dr who sent me back to ER for more tests. Which is same ER Dr on call this times orders blood work, Rectum exam and CT scan which shows my blockage by this time..I had to be transported to another hospital because I am a hemophilic and have surgery.. I need to know is there anything I can do as far as legal advice because he treated me like I was a person there to get pain medication and released me I could have laid in my bed and died thinking that I had stomach virus

Lee

Re: An Introduction

Postby Lee » Sat May 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Childwoman81@ wrote:I am a 35 year old working mom. On may 08 2017 My life took a turn for the worse... I worked a 12 hour shift with no problems I stop home after work and picked up my kids to go with me to pick up my Fiance from work. Upon arrival of his workplace I began to get a bulging pain under my ribcage..I also started feeling hot and nauseous..I told him to drive because I had all of a sudden was feeling sick the closer I got home I started feeling like I had been poisoned . I got home and requested for a ambulance because I was getting bad then the vomiting started...I was mistreating by the ambulance driver and when I got to hospital the Dr didn't run test to see what was wrong diagnose me with stomach virus and sent me home..still in pain and throwing up I spent the next day in my bed sick throwing up bowels and in pain it was beyond torture the next morning my Fiance took me to my Primary Dr who sent me back to ER for more tests. Which is same ER Dr on call this times orders blood work, Rectum exam and CT scan which shows my blockage by this time..I had to be transported to another hospital because I am a hemophilic and have surgery.. I need to know is there anything I can do as far as legal advice because he treated me like I was a person there to get pain medication and released me I could have laid in my bed and died thinking that I had stomach virus

I am so sorry this happened to you. I'm not a lawyer, butt to answer your question, no, I do not believe you have any legal right to go after this ER doc.

Sometimes these things happen. If everybody that showed up at the ER would get EVERY test, scan, etc for something like the stomach flu, they would be in the hospital for days, OVER exposure to x-rays, etc. And not to mention the cost.

I've been misdiagnosed on a few occasions via the ER. I tend to avoid them and Urgent care at all cost.

Because of your age, no prior history of anything to do with colon cancer, or did you mention something like that to this ER doc? The fact that your throwing up was new and not something going on for days, I'm sure colon cancer was the last thing this ER doc was thinking.

Did you have any other symptoms prior to May 8?

I understand you are angry, butt please put that anger into the fight you have ahead of you with your colon cancer. Not the ER doc.

Hi and welcome, you've found the right place for information and support,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

MissMolly

Re: New member: An Introduction

Postby MissMolly » Sat May 20, 2017 6:23 pm

I do not think that you would have a legally standing case of negligence against the ER physician. I agree with Lee that your energy is better directed toward yourself and focusing on whatever course of recommended medical therapies and protocols will best serve you.

Your story reminded me of a similar situation that my brother was in many a year ago. He presented to the ER with a blinding headache of two days duration, vomiting, vertigo. The ER physician sent him home with a diagnosis of an inner ear infection. My brother returned to the ER less than 24 hours later. His symptoms had progressed to unrelenting vomiting, double vision, and an inability to sit up or walk. A quick assessment of his ocular pressure was found to be sky high. An x-ray using dye contrast into the spinal fluid showed a HUGE brain tumor that proved to be malignant.

Mistakes do happen. Especially in the high pressure environment of the emergency room.

While your initial ER visit was less than ideal, I do not see that the physician was overtly negligent. The burden of proof to prove negligence is quite high in a court of law.

Count your blessings that your condition has been correctly identified and that you are on a pathway toward renewed health.
- K -
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Hey Daddy

Postby Hey Daddy » Sat May 20, 2017 8:28 pm

As sorry as I am that this has happened to you, I have to agree with the others and don’t really see where you have a viable legal complaint. No one is thinking colon cancer in a 35 year old, especially when there are other options with much higher probability. My understanding is that the odds of someone your age having colon cancer are less than one tenth of one percent. That it took about 24 hours to get the correct diagnosis is not surprising. I know you were in a great deal of pain. I watched my son writhing on the floor of the ER waiting room and have never felt more helpless. In his case, we went to the ER on a Monday evening and it was Wednesday before it was declared cancer. My wife and I have nothing but gratitude for many medical professionals that have helped our son but we have struggled with a great deal of guilt ourselves. In hindsight, there were indications, but nothing so significant that the natural assumption would be anything other than an upset stomach or virus (and my wife was an RN for many years). In the end, we feel fortunate that he got completely obstructed in time to have a good chance of being cured. I sincerely hope for the same for you.
DS dx CC Stage IIB (T4N0M0) 3Aug16, 21 yr old
poorly differentiated, lymphovascular and perineural invasion
CEA 29
Colon resection 4Aug16
CEA 2.5
Genetics testing negative
6 mo FOLFOX Sep16 - Mar17
CT Scan Mar17 clear
Colonoscopy Apr17 clear
CEA 1.8
NED
Emergency appendectomy Jun17
Adhesion surgery to clear small bowel obstruction Dec 17

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Sun May 21, 2017 10:42 pm

Things other than cancer can cause "blockages". Perhaps I didn't read your post carefully enough, butt i don't see that you have even been diagnosed with cancer?? I am a legal nurse consultant. I don't believe you have any grounds for a lawsuit.

Best wishes to you. Hope you feel fine soon.
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Sun May 21, 2017 10:45 pm

Also, hemophilia is an x-linked genetic disease. While it CAN occur in women, it is very, very rare. Are you sure your diagnosis of hemophilia is accurate?
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”