Brain mets . . . and they're aggressive

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
MissMolly

Re: Brain mets . . . and they're aggressive

Postby MissMolly » Sun May 21, 2017 11:18 am

AnnClare:
In one word . . You "shine."

You shine brightly.

To be able to paint your toenails without a fully engaged right arm and hand is a testament to your tenacity and radiance of spirit. Heck, it is difficult to even open a bottle with one hand. I am proud that of you for painting your toenails, especially knowing that this once simple task is not now so simple for you to maneuver.

Thank you for reminding us to appreciate the simple things in life. Because, honestly, when the chips are down it is the simple things in life that have the most renewed meaning.

As my own health falters, I do not yearn for a fancy car or extravagant clothing. Many of the material things in life lose importance.

But I will agree that I do enjoy the pampering of a pedicure and a freshly painted toenails. It gives my spirit an uplift. And it is nice to feel feminine amidst the indignity of disappearing health.

Shine on, AnneClare.
- Karen -
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

AnnClare

Postby AnnClare » Sun May 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Karen,

Thank you so much for your sweet words. You shine & are a lovely radiant light to all those around you. :)

The Mr. & I (and one of our friends) had a lovely dinner out last night at one of our favorite Mediterranean restaurants, complete with a bottle of red wine. I could feel myself starting to feel "fussy" about halfway through dinner, as the restaurant was crowded and loud. With the constant 'head under water' feeling (which I HOPE goes away once radiation is complete!), I had to really concentrate to hear the conversation at our little table, let alone participate in it without shouting. We were home by 9:30, which was fine by me. A few hours at a stretch is about all I can do at the moment (again, I'm assuming that's due to radiation-induced fatigue) and I was only too happy to wash my face, put on my PJ's, and get into bed with my book. Ahhhh.

This morning my hubby made us some delicious cheesey eggs (the BEST) while I toasted us some cinnamon raisin bread. And coffee - always, always coffee. I LOVE Sundays. Being at home, with the family, no place to be, nothing to do (except laundry, which I don't mind). I'm a happy camper on days like this.

I've also been coloring in my coloring books, as a means of dexterity practice & rehabilitation, stress-relief, and because, well, why the hell not? It's a simple, pleasant, harmless way to spend some quiet time.

Happy Sunday, mes amies!!!!
42 yr. old female
Rectal cancer Stage 3C T3 N1 M0 - Sept 2015
28 rounds radiation w/Xeloda - Nov - Dec 2015
2/17/16 - Surgery to remove rectal tumor, lymph nodes (2/20+), ovaries & fallopian tubes, temp. ileostomy
3/28/16 - 9/26/16 -12 rounds FOLFOX w/full oxi
Ileo reversal 10/27/16; Port removed 12/1/16
Lung mets confirmed 2/6/17
March-May 2017 - brain mets; brain rad. 5/9-5/29/17

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Sun May 21, 2017 5:13 pm

Shining Ann:
Adult coloring books are in vogue. You are riding a popular wave.

I have an adult coloring book, and I will admit that the designs are too intricate for me to complete. I am a paint by the numbers type of gal. But I do enjoy the idea of coloring as a means of expression. I do not always know what to do with the barrage of feeling that come with fragile health. Coloring gives me an outlet for my feelings.

We'll have to exchange our completed art. Mine will not win any award.

I am glad that you are enjoying a perfect Sunday. May the goodness of the day follow you going forward.
- K -
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun May 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Happy Sunday to you too AnnClare.

I too am doing laundry, clothes yesterday, sheets and towels, etc today.

Enjoy,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

AnnClare

Postby AnnClare » Wed May 24, 2017 9:09 am

Just a quick pop-in.
I have 4 more brain radiations left to go, unless they extend them (and I HOPE that's not the plan!) This constant head-under-water feeling isn't fun. It's bearable, so I shouldn't fuss, it's just . . .tiring.

Yesterday afternoon when I got home I finally forced myself to get off my duff and go for a nice, easy, 45 minute walk. I need to do this every evening, as I know it's good for me, mentally as well as physically. Plus I think it helped me to sleep better last night, which is also crucial to the healing process.
42 yr. old female
2/17/16 - Surgery to remove rectal tumor, lymph nodes (2/20+), ovaries & fallopian tubes, temp. ileostomy

JudeD59

Postby JudeD59 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:26 pm

AnnClare wrote:" to get off my duff"

Sigh. Why does my last name have to mean ass?? Is it just a coincidence? I think not. :lol: Or it can also mean Designated Ugly Fat Friend so maybe ass is better??

I'm glad you got out for a walk. Walking, and just getting outside, helps me mentally as well as physically, too. I also have a collection of adult coloring books that I enjoy (why is it whenever you say "adult" anything, it sounds dirty?). One of the reasons they helped me during treatment was because it was one of the few things I could control. If I wanted to create a masterpiece, I could, but if I wanted to scribble or color outside the lines on purpose or make the whole picture orange, it was totally up to me. No doctor or nurse telling me I had to do it a particular way if I wanted the best results. It also distracted me from dwelling on what ifs. Some people use colored pencils, but I'm a fine point marker girl myself. :D

Take care of yourself and I hope the fuzzies clear up soon.

Judy
56 yrs old, wife, mother to 4 daughters
RC Stage II T3N0M0 DX April 2, 2015
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
Xeloda and radiation finished 06/15/15- CEA 242
CEA right before surgery 81
LAR performed 8/12/15 Temporary ileostomy
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
PET scan 11-4-15 All clear
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Folfox stopped due to bad reaction
Reversal 2/17/16
CEA 2/3/16 1.7
CEA 3/31/16 1.3
CT Scan 4/12/16 All Clear
Port removed 4/21/16
CEA 5/24/17 1.4

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:42 pm

AnnClare,
You continue to be an inspiration. I've been moping around lately feeling sorry for myself because of basic aches and pains. :|

After reading everything you have accomplished the last few days, I was motivated to get up off my duff and walk on the treadmill for 40 minutes.

You have my sincere admiration,
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

AnnClare

Postby AnnClare » Thu May 25, 2017 7:49 am

Judy - you crack me up!!

Peanut - believe me, I still have many moping moments! Yesterday, while I didn't mope per se, I was plenty pissy! I'm having to make a conscious effort lately to not turn into a total a-hole. Just because I'm in this lousy situation (at the moment) doesn't give the right to become a mean person.

Kudos to you for walking. :) I went again yesterday evening and intend to keep it up as long as the weather permits. :)
42 yr. old female

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Thu May 25, 2017 8:16 am

peanut_8 wrote:AnnClare,
You continue to be an inspiration.

You have my sincere admiration,
peanut

I second Peanut's comment.

AnnClare, you have my sincere admiration and respect.

I have hit a rough patch myself, and am using your posts and personal gumption to keep me afloat.

As Dori said to Nemo, "Just keep swimming. Keep swimming."

Know that how you are choosing to confront life in times of difficulty is illuminating the pathway for me and others.

Nameste,
- karen -

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”