Brain mets . . . and they're aggressive

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
PainInTheAss

Re: Brain mets . . . and they're aggressive

Postby PainInTheAss » Thu May 11, 2017 3:55 am

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I would be pissed off, too!

One word about sugar... remember WHY the PET scan works... the radioactive glucose goes straight to the cancer in about an hour... that's science, not Mumbo jumbo or alternative tratements. If I had active cancer, I would probably a void sugar, too, just to not feed the damn thing and make it grow faster. Geez, I avoid sugar anyway. I have no idea why dairy would be an issue. Or the red meat in a hamburger. I agree you shouldn't be made to feel like you gave yourself cancer by eating the wrong thing. But we all do know that cancer cells suck up glucose like nobody's business just from our PET scans.

I ate a lot of steak after my treatment out of shear anger for giving up red meat for 20 years. I am back to salads and fruit now just to eat healthy, but boy was I mad!

My ex was told he had three to six months to live by three different doctors before his chemo started working (chemo for his kind of rare thyroid cancer is usually ineffective). That was a year ago. Many of his tumors disappeared and the rest are stable, His doctors were amazed. And wrong. Another poster on here was given a year to live, quit his job, did his bucket list, and is now sitting around doing nothing ten years later. No one can tell you what will happen for you. Keep your chin up and believe you will be that lucky one who defies expectations until there is no hope left. There is still hope.
47yo single mom of 4 (24, 21, 18, 16) at Dx
6/13 - RC T4b IIIc 5LNs on PET CEA 5.4
8/13 - Finish chemorad
10/13 - APR/hyst+ovaries/perm colostomy 2/12 nodes+
6/14 - Finish Xelox 6 rds
1/15 - CT clear CEA 0.2
10/15 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.7
4/16 - CT clear
10/16 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.6
5/17 - PET clear? Follow up MRI to verify inflammation

AnnClare

Postby AnnClare » Thu May 11, 2017 11:48 am

Maia - I remember asking my onc about MSS/MSI, and I believe he said I was MSS. I know that I was whatever the more "common" one is, if that helps.

PainInTheAss - re: dairy. It's my understanding that dairy, even organic, contains IGF-1, insulin-like growth factor, which also 'feeds' cancer cells. I understand the glucose uptake by them, and thus being the reason that PET scans are used to detect cancer & / or growth. But I've also read that glucose is taken up by ALL cells as a primary fuel source, and it's the fact that C cells are more active that they grab the glucose so quickly.

Lee - I look forward to your thoughts/opinions as well. :)

One of the social workers was just visiting with me. She says I need to feed/fuel my soul and if that means having a few 'indulgences' here and there, without going overboard, so be it. I explained that for most of my adult life I've let others' opinions, however well-intentioned, dictate my decision making. She says I need to tap into my own intuition and follow that and be ME. I also joked with her about the two recent times I've gone vegan I've wound up in the hospital with brain mets. See - I should've just eaten what I wanted to! Damn veggies & beans! (j/k).
42 yr. old female
Rectal cancer Stage 3C T3 N1 M0 - Sept 2015
28 rounds radiation w/Xeloda - Nov - Dec 2015
2/17/16 - Surgery to remove rectal tumor, lymph nodes (2/20+), ovaries & fallopian tubes, temp. ileostomy
3/28/16 - 9/26/16 -12 rounds FOLFOX w/full oxi
Ileo reversal 10/27/16; Port removed 12/1/16
Lung mets confirmed 2/6/17
March-May 2017 - brain mets; brain rad. 5/9-5/29/17

fumaros

Postby fumaros » Thu May 11, 2017 12:45 pm

AnnClaire, your social worker is right. Besides, if staying away from sugar and dairy were the cure for cancer I am sure there would be a lot less of us on this site. Everything in moderation. My social worker told me yesterday that "guilt is a useless emotion." So do/eat what makes you feel good, and I hope it gives you some measure of comfort and certainly the strength to keep fighting. Hang in there, where there's life there's hope, so never give up.
Diagnosed 4/8/16, age 29
Colectomy 4/20/16
Stage III, T4bN1 Tumor 7x6.5x2. Muscinous Adenocarcinoma with SRC features
2/16 lymph nodes
Stage IV, Peri mets 5/2019
CEA 4/14/16 - 16.8
CEA 6/2/16 - 1.9
CEA 6/17/16 - 0.87, 7/16 - 1.33, 12/16 - 1.14, 4/17 - 0.6, 7/17 - 0.5, 10/17 - 0.9, 3/19 -5.8, 4/19 -10
FOLFOX began 6/24/16 - 11/25/16, FOLFIRI - 5/10/19
10 round FOLFOX, 2 round 5-FU & Leucovorin, 1 round FOLFIRI
MRI & CT 8/16 - NED, CT 12/16 - 10/17 - NED

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu May 11, 2017 4:20 pm

I agree, eat what you want. There is a member on this forum who grows his own veggies, had done so for years. Yet he got cancer and it progresses to a stage IV. There have been many vegans who end up with cancer.

Diet is not a cure or a guarantee against cancer.

Eating healthy helps "some", butt at the end of the day, I truly believe it comes down to our genes. My mother became a widow at 35, she never really recovered from my dad's death (Vietnam war). She finished raising my brother and I butt did abuse her body through the years. She gained a lot of weight (over 100 pd), ate junk food all the time and did not exercise at all. And smoked till the day she died. Again she did not care how she abused her body At 55, she had a colonoscopy, no cancer, not even one polyp. They should have done one on me, as they would have found my polyp early (age 35). I have been average weigh most of my life. As a kid, I loved my veggies, still do. YET I would get cancer. I am a very active person, that didn't help me either.

A good friend of my mine, her dad diet at the age of 46 from colon cancer. A non smoker. He was not over weight. Yet his wife who is 90 now as been a smoker for 70 years. Very healthy for her age. In the past 10 years, she had developed heart problems. They don't know if it's due to age or her smoking, butt she will not stop smoking.

I'm from Montana, when I was growing up, beef was big there. The cattle outnumbered the people population 7 to 1. Red meat is suppose to be bad for us, yet all the ranchers I know lived to be 70, 80 and 90 years eating red meat all their lives. One gentleman I know, died a few years ago, pushing 100.

Honestly, we all might do better if we grow are own food and that included the cows, chickens and pigs, etc without pesticides, hormones, etc. Those pesticides and hormones that farmer put into the ground or into the animals I suspect is probable the true culprit for us getting cancer.

As others have said, moderation is the key. So enjoy that Boston Creme pie, or what ever feeds you inner you.

All the best to you,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

AnnClare

Postby AnnClare » Thu May 11, 2017 5:30 pm

fumaros & Lee ~ thank you so much for your responses. This is certainly "food for thought" - pun totally intended.

Tonight my husband is bringing me a chicken Caesar salad from one of our favorite local spots, and a 'sweet' as well.

Crazy as it seems, one of my happiest weeks was my first week home after my brain tumor was removed. I felt great physically and, for the first time in a long time, I ate whatever the hell I wanted and didn't worry about it. It was such a weightless way of being. Then I returned to my control freak ways, searching for ways to 'fix' my body and its problem. I believe I need to intellectualize less and simply feel/intuit more.
I'm supposed to be released from the hospital tomorrow. I hope so - my mood has been down-right crummy these past two days. Being in this setting, away from my home & family, just ramps up my anxiety, and we all know that ain't good! Not to mention the incessant interruptions - taking vitals, drawing blood, giving me injections, various medical personnel asking, "How are you doing?" I want to go HOME!!!

Once again, I appreciate the input,openness, and authenticity of you folks here on this board.
You are all gems and give me hope.
42 yr. old female
2/17/16 - Surgery to remove rectal tumor, lymph nodes (2/20+), ovaries & fallopian tubes, temp. ileostomy

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu May 11, 2017 6:02 pm

I'm gonna past these to thread on to you. 2 people who are having great success today when traditional chemo has failed them.

Sleen was given months to live, yet she is NED today. Her success has been featured in major newspapers and TV networks.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49736

BeansMama has had great success with Keytruda when all other chemo failed. Look at her signature line

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57882

Maybe possible options to consider.

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Thu May 11, 2017 6:05 pm

I'm so sorry you're going through this!*hugs* I hope you and your oncologist will come up with a plan that is best for you.*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Thu May 11, 2017 6:29 pm

AnnClare

Sorry to hear about the brain mets, and the people who are encouraging you to avoid sweets. I'm kind of angry on your behalf that some well-meaning people would make it seem like it's your own fault for getting cancer because of your diet choices, especially when you've been so strict recently.

I found this from the Mayo Clinic...

Myth: People with cancer shouldn't eat sugar, since it can cause cancer to grow faster.

Fact: Sugar doesn't make cancer grow faster. All cells, including cancer cells, depend on blood sugar (glucose) for energy. But giving more sugar to cancer cells doesn't speed their growth. Likewise, depriving cancer cells of sugar doesn't slow their growth.

This misconception may be based in part on a misunderstanding of positron emission tomography (PET) scans, which use a small amount of radioactive tracer — typically a form of glucose. All tissues in your body absorb some of this tracer, but tissues that are using more energy — including cancer cells — absorb greater amounts. For this reason, some people have concluded that cancer cells grow faster on sugar. But this isn't true.

However, there is some evidence that consuming large amounts of sugar is associated with an increased risk of certain cancers, including esophageal cancer. It can also lead to weight gain and increase the risk of obesity and diabetes, which may increase the risk of cancer.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... 44714?pg=2

There is even evidence that chocolate is good for you...

But now chocolate has been thrown a lifeline: antioxidants. An antioxidant is something that slows down, or prevents, the oxidation of cells; oxidation produces free radicals, which damage cells and can lead to heart disease and cancer. ... Perhaps most surprisingly, chocolate even works effectively as a cough remedy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 65754.html

Hopefully you can enjoy a cookie or two.
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

exaussie

Postby exaussie » Thu May 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Eat the cake my dear!
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Thu May 11, 2017 7:15 pm

peanut_8 wrote:AnnClare

Sorry to hear about the brain mets, and the people who are encouraging you to avoid sweets. I'm kind of angry on your behalf that some well-meaning people would make it seem like it's your own fault for getting cancer because of your diet choices, especially when you've been so strict recently.

I found this from the Mayo Clinic...

Myth: People with cancer shouldn't eat sugar, since it can cause cancer to grow faster.

Fact: Sugar doesn't make cancer grow faster. All cells, including cancer cells, depend on blood sugar (glucose) for energy. But giving more sugar to cancer cells doesn't speed their growth. Likewise, depriving cancer cells of sugar doesn't slow their growth.

Just to add on here AnnClare:
in fact the brain cells and heart cells have an ABSOLUTE requirement for glucose ... ergo it is ESSENTIAL for normal health
....they cannot use alternate energy sources.

The rest of the body, for the most part, and cancer cells ...
can switch up metabolism on various levels and get what they need = a FACT !
Cancer does not play by the rules = a FACT !

"holistic" theories = NOT SO MUCH .....

I was the poster boy for medical knowledge, good lifestyle, meditation, diet, exercise ..... now currently a Stage IVa 10 year survivor

I honestly do not know what I woulda' coulda' shoulda' done differently to NOT get CRC ....
EXCEPT maybe avoid certain BUTTHEADS ... who tried to "help" me with ..... %GTGW@(^#$FJU

'nuff said

YOU are the most important person in this topic and in your life right now

BUTTHEADS ... begone :twisted:

mini rant over for now BUTT please feel free to quote us all here when the next BUTTHEAD opens the wrong end of their body
and spews more bullshit at you
I am a vet = I know bullshit when I see / hear it :!:

WE ARE HERE for you
call on us anytime......

maybe what I'm trying to say is, yes ... eat the cake
just DON'T drink their KOOL Aid

In Harmony with you on the Journey my friend
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri May 12, 2017 5:01 pm

How ya doing? By any chance they kicked the big house yet? Hope your home surrounded by family, friends and love,

Thinking of you,

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Fri May 12, 2017 5:47 pm

AnnClare:
If the key to good health without the burden of serious illness was as simple as a positive attitude and a regimented diet (excluding sugar and dairy, as suggested by your friend, as an example), then most people would flock to and following a course of positivity and diet modification and be disease free.

As we know, both through anecdotes and research studies, finding one's way on a pathway of reclaiming health is not that simple. Positivity of mindset and a diet void of sugar will not be met with the word "cure" for most people facing a serious, life-altering illness.

My brother is a survivor of a Grade IV glioblastoma multiforma. The spidery, web-like tumor occupied his left parietal-occipital lone - the size of a tangerine. My brother was 15 years old when the tumor made itself known, circa 1978. There was no chemotherapy know to be able to cross the blood brain barrier, no target radiation therapy. No CT scan, No MRI. As a family, the doctors prepared us for a bleak horizon. My brother's life expectancy was 3-6 months.

As I have shared previously, my brother is alive and doing well - all things considered. The only evidence of the glio blastoma's presence are the titanium clips placed during partial debunking surgery.

My brother adores Coke-a-Cola. He drinks 2 bottles a day, and has done so for years. He is 145 pounds at 5'10". While I do not advocate his consumption of Coke on the regular and sustained basis he has followed, I appreciate his right to choose what he wants to eat. My brother also has epilepsy, and the Coke gives him a boost of alertness and wakefulness which he needs in having to take anti-seizure medicine.

i hope the anecdotal sharing of my brother should give you the "green light" to fold tasteful food back into your life, including sugar in moderation.

Hansens has soda pop made with cane sugar. I am trying to nudge my brother toward a drink choice withOUT high fructose corn syrup and other chemical processing additives.

I ate healthfully all of my life. Vegan. Organic. And look at where I am . . . Plagued by multiple chronic conditions, the words "life-threatening fragile Addison's" highlight my medical record. I have been on Palliative Care for 4 years. There is no prospect of "getting better." As my body teeters close to its personal ledge, I am glad that I have enjoyed that thick milkshake and/or that lemon poppyseed muffin when the opportunity availed itself when sharing time with family/friends.

Feel alright about feeding yourself in both nourishing your body and experiencing joy in the taste of foods that delight you. Enjoy the shared moments with family and friends that come with the communal sharing of a meal.

The preparing of food and sharing is a gift of love from one person to another. Food is also symbolic of love. And with love, there is healing.

Sending you an extended hand of faith and friendship,
- Karen -
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Steph20021

Postby Steph20021 » Fri May 12, 2017 6:53 pm

I just loved your response and anecdotes below Karen. Had to tell you that. Really great advice and feedback here on this post.

MissMolly wrote:AnnClare:
If the key to good health without the burden of serious illness was as simple as a positive attitude and a regimented diet (excluding sugar and dairy, as suggested by your friend, as an example), then most people would flock to and following a course of positivity and diet modification and be disease free.

As we know, both through anecdotes and research studies, finding one's way on a pathway of reclaiming health is not that simple. Positivity of mindset and a diet void of sugar will not be met with the word "cure" for most people facing a serious, life-altering illness.

My brother is a survivor of a Grade IV glioblastoma multiforma. The spidery, web-like tumor occupied his left parietal-occipital lone - the size of a tangerine. My brother was 15 years old when the tumor made itself known, circa 1978. There was no chemotherapy know to be able to cross the blood brain barrier, no target radiation therapy. No CT scan, No MRI. As a family, the doctors prepared us for a bleak horizon. My brother's life expectancy was 3-6 months.

As I have shared previously, my brother is alive and doing well - all things considered. The only evidence of the glio blastoma's presence are the titanium clips placed during partial debunking surgery.

My brother adores Coke-a-Cola. He drinks 2 bottles a day, and has done so for years. He is 145 pounds at 5'10". While I do not advocate his consumption of Coke on the regular and sustained basis he has followed, I appreciate his right to choose what he wants to eat. My brother also has epilepsy, and the Coke gives him a boost of alertness and wakefulness which he needs in having to take anti-seizure medicine.

i hope the anecdotal sharing of my brother should give you the "green light" to fold tasteful food back into your life, including sugar in moderation.

Hansens has soda pop made with cane sugar. I am trying to nudge my brother toward a drink choice withOUT high fructose corn syrup and other chemical processing additives.

I ate healthfully all of my life. Vegan. Organic. And look at where I am . . . Plagued by multiple chronic conditions, the words "life-threatening fragile Addison's" highlight my medical record. I have been on Palliative Care for 4 years. There is no prospect of "getting better." As my body teeters close to its personal ledge, I am glad that I have enjoyed that thick milkshake and/or that lemon poppyseed muffin when the opportunity availed itself when sharing time with family/friends.

Feel alright about feeding yourself in both nourishing your body and experiencing joy in the taste of foods that delight you. Enjoy the shared moments with family and friends that come with the communal sharing of a meal.

The preparing of food and sharing is a gift of love from one person to another. Food is also symbolic of love. And with love, there is healing.

Sending you an extended hand of faith and friendship,
- Karen -
DX 1/31/14 @ 33- SPS-T4a(invades visceral peri), N2a(6/106 LN), M1a(ovary) (Stage 4a) MSS; BRAF V600E
2/1/14-subtotal col, lost R ovary, temp ileo
3/14-9/14- folfox; sepsis
11/14-CT/PET: L ovary met, pelvic met, (?)ghost liver met(?)
12/14-folfiri -13 rds kept me stable from 3/15-6/15
8/15-HIPEC, NED
09/15- cea 0.9
05/16- recurrence in abdo wall and lymph nodes
01/17- pulmonary embolism
02/17- 1 wk radiation to abdo wall
08/16- on folfiri
01/18-folfox
11/18- Beacon trial-encorafenib & cetuximab

AnnClare

Postby AnnClare » Mon May 15, 2017 7:06 pm

Once again I want to express the deepest gratitude for everyone's support, and for sharing your experiences, and the experiences of your loved ones. You all make me smile and give me HOPE!

I had just signed my hospital discharge papers last Friday when my right arm went . . . wonky. CT scan revealed one of the smaller brain tumors was hemmorhaging. Nice. So they kept me over the weekend for observation, better safe than sorry, and all that jazz. They did another CT scan yesterday morning, decided I was stable and thankfully I was home before noon, wonky arm and all. No matter - beats being in the damned hospital!

I'm continuing to work on regaining full use of my right arm & hand. I refuse to let this be permanent! (Not that they/neuro said it would, but they're also far from making guarantees - neurosurgeons are not known for being warm, fuzzy and full of optimism, I have come to realize). I count my blessings, as I know things could be worse. Hell, I can still feed myself, bathe, shave (albeit VERY slowly and carefully). Tomorrow I intend to return to work, light duty only, and will have to be driven to and from as my husband about lost his mind today when I told him I went for a slow, brief test drive. No harm was done!

I had my 5th of 15 scheduled rounds of radiation today. Here's hoping for success and no mishaps or complications!
My mother-in-law, whom I love dearly and is an excellent cook, asked me today if she could send some food over or if I'm on a special diet. "Please, yes," I said to the offer of food, and "Fuck, no!" to the question of special diet. The two recent times I went all strict with my diet I wound up in the ER then the hospital with brain issues. Correlation, not causation, I realize. But hell, if home-cooked meals, or ANY food for that matter, is going to do me in, then I guess that's how it's gonna be. I respect my energy worker friend's opinion, but just because something worked for her does not mean it's for me. I've got to be true to myself and happy, damn it. Worrying over every morsel I put in my mouth is not for me. Sorry - I just don't think it's that simple, at least, not in my case. It's time for me to be my own damn guru. ! :)
42 yr. old female

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon May 15, 2017 8:04 pm

AnnClare wrote: But hell, if home-cooked meals, or ANY food for that matter, is going to do me in, then I guess that's how it's gonna be. I respect my energy worker friend's opinion, but just because something worked for her does not mean it's for me. I've got to be true to myself and happy, damn it. Worrying over every morsel I put in my mouth is not for me. Sorry - I just don't think it's that simple, at least, not in my case. It's time for me to be my own damn guru. ! :)

Amen Sister,

So glad you are home, may the radiation do a real "bad" number on those nasty brain tumors.

So glad your MIL will be cooking up some meals for you and your family. Enjoy the food and appreciate all those that want to help you.

Thinking of you, one day at a time,

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”