Low blood pressure due to CAPOX ?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Scilla

Low blood pressure due to CAPOX ?

Postby Scilla » Wed May 10, 2017 10:51 am

My mom has finally started her first round of CAPOX (Wed May 3rd). She's been feeling dizzy on and off the past couple of months, but yesterday she fainted, probably due to very low blood pressure, so now they've stopped the treatment. I'm worried about this as chemo is the only treatment she's getting and I want her to get better. She's been experiencing sudden drops in blood pressure on and off of chemo.

Is it well-known that CAPOX can give sudden drops in blood pressure?
Supporter of mom 68 yr
Dx RC CRC 03/17
Rectal tumor 5cm, colon tumor 9cm
Two small liver mets,
04-05/2017 CAPOX Started twice, stopped due to side effects.
05/2017 One week of radiation to rectal tumor.
06-08/2017 Irinotecan+Bevacizumab
08/2017 Treatment stopped due to frail health
Mom is in Gods hands

Lee

Re: Low blood pressure due to CAPOX ?

Postby Lee » Wed May 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Scilla wrote:Is it well-known that CAPOX can give sudden drops in blood pressure?

Not that I am aware of. What is her Onc saying.? Has she had blood work done recently. If not, probably s good idea.

All the best,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Scilla

Postby Scilla » Thu May 11, 2017 3:10 pm

Onc is saying she cannot continue with CAPOX, the treatment has been stopped. Now they want to switch to radiation but she has a rectal and a sigmoid tumor plus liver mets and maybe even lung mets. From what I understand, only the rectal tumor will be treated with radiation, but I don't know what they'll do about all the other cancer... I didn't discuss this with her doctors, my mom referred what she had been told.

I'm very worried!
Supporter of mom 68 yr
Dx RC CRC 03/17
Two small liver mets,
Mom is in Gods hands

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu May 11, 2017 3:31 pm

If possible, talk to her Dr. I took FOLFOX which is Oxaliplatin and 5FU. Your mother got Oxaliplatin with pill XELOX. Maybe she could try the FOLFOX. Do you know if she was getting Avastin which is a drug they use with stage IV folks.

Can you set up an appointment with her Dr, you and your Mom? Have questions in hand.

Good luck,

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

Scilla

Postby Scilla » Thu May 11, 2017 3:58 pm

Thanks for your reply Lee! I don't think she got any Avastin, I could check with her doctor. I will definitely also book a meeting with her doctor to discuss the treatment plan. It's different here, though, we see different doctors every time, it's not just one onc who's in charge of my mom's treatment. The one I talk to may not be the one who makes the decision...

I've been wondering why so many people on this board get FOLFOX and not CAPOX. Is it a geographical thing, or is one better than the other?
Supporter of mom 68 yr
Dx RC CRC 03/17
Two small liver mets,
Mom is in Gods hands

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu May 11, 2017 4:44 pm

When I was diagnosed, FOLFOX was experimental and only available to stage IV folks. My Onc was able to get me on board through a trial group as they knew it was going to be available for stage III folks in the near future. I was her first and for many months, her only patient on FOLFOX. She picked me because of my youth and over all good health. XELOX was not available when I started chemo.

CAPOX and XELOX are the same pill. FOLFOX is an IV of Oxaliplatin, followed by a pump worn for 48 hrs that includes 5-flourouracil (5-fu) and leucovorin. This cycle is repeated every 2 weeks. I believe your mom got Oxaliplatin, butt rather than the pump, she took Xelox (capox) pills for 3 weeks. Why some chose one over the other is due to side effects or some not wanting to be bothered with a pump. Butt sometimes there is a shortage of 5-fu as the company that makes it only does every few years. Guess there no profit for them in making 5-fu. So when the shortage hit, everyone is on XELOX until further notice.

Hope this helps and yes find out about Avastin.

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”