what should I expect on the first day of chemo?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Lee

Re: what should I expect on the first day of chemo?

Postby Lee » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:54 pm

There are other options, I believe you are on the pump, maybe try the pill formula. Or look into immunotherapies. Keytruda has/is helping many people on this board.

Sometimes they can desensitize people when they have a bad reaction, butt since you are having chest pains, I don't think they will go there.

Don't get to far ahead of yourself. Remember one step at a time. And there other options out there.

Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

ANDRETEXAS

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:56 pm

I took a prescription for potassium once....and that's all I needed. As far a bp....going to a cardiologist is important. Fortunately, I didn't see mine, except before my first infusion. Communication is key with all your heath providers to make sure everything is in order....including use of supplements. Stay hydrated !!
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

benben

Postby benben » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:12 pm

Tdubz wrote:Yes, I believe that is what they suspect. It only happens on the day before, of, and after disconnect. During that time my heart rate slows to the 45-55 bpm range and blood pressure drops to 90/50 along with the chest pains. I'm normally around 80 bpm and 120/80 blood pressure. I'm not sure what my options are if it turns out to be some reaction from the 5FU. I guess I'll have to ask on Monday

I hope they get it all sussed out and can resolve it for you so as not to deter your treatment.
Good that you're being proactive about it and they are gonna get you into cardio.
----------------------
3/29/17 diagnosed CRC - 44 y/o Male
4/17/17 ULAR - Straight anastomosis - no ostomy.
Path: low grade T3n1m0 - moderate diff.
KRAS - NO, MLH1/PMS2/MSH6/MSH2 - Normal.
5/3 med port install
5/22 folfox - first treatment.
3rd treat, delayed - low ANC - reduced to 90% OXI
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
Treats 8-12 - NO OXI, Luke & 5FU
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

Tdubz

Postby Tdubz » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:44 pm

Well round 3 really wiped me out. Feeling more tired than the previous 2 rounds, but at least all other side effects are minimal.

On the bright side, I'm a quarter of the way done! I still can't believe how fast things move. 3 months ago I was a normal 36 yr old. Now I've had 3 ft of colon removed and 3 rounds of chemo. I sure hope the rest of these treatments go by as fast as everything else lol.

horizon

Postby horizon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:01 pm

Tdubz wrote: I still can't believe how fast things move. 3 months ago I was a normal 36 yr old. Now I've had 3 ft of colon removed and 3 rounds of chemo. I sure hope the rest of these treatments go by as fast as everything else lol.

It is pretty crazy how completely different your life can become so quickly.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

benben

Postby benben » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Tdubz wrote:Well round 3 really wiped me out. Feeling more tired than the previous 2 rounds, but at least all other side effects are minimal.

On the bright side, I'm a quarter of the way done! I still can't believe how fast things move. 3 months ago I was a normal 36 yr old. Now I've had 3 ft of colon removed and 3 rounds of chemo. I sure hope the rest of these treatments go by as fast as everything else lol.

As horizon said it's pretty crazy how life can take a quick left turn on what appeared to be a never ending straight road.

Did you ever get the cardio check?
----------------------
5/3 med port install
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

Tdubz

Postby Tdubz » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:08 pm

Apparently cardiologists are in high demand. I can't get in to one for another 2 weeks.

benben

Postby benben » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:12 pm

Tdubz wrote:Apparently cardiologists are in high demand. I can't get in to one for another 2 weeks.

Have you had any more chest pain?
If you do, you might just go to ER. That's one way to fast track a trip to cardio.
If not hopefully its all good and you can wait it out.
----------------------
5/3 med port install
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

JudiB

Postby JudiB » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:26 am

I remember, in March, thinking that I just couldn't do this tough chemo ...the light at the end of the tunnel wasn't visible and I had some very down days. I had lost "me" and felt that life had become dominated by the side effects if my treatment. Now... I'm almost done with my 8th treatment...pump comes off at lunchtime and life feels soo much better with the end in sight!
You do get sort of used to the new routine and can anticipate the side effects, plan rest times and enjoy the good days! I even now look forward to catching up with my chemo buddies and the wonderful nurses when I go for treatment!
I sooo hope that you soon reach the point where you begin to see the light at​ the end if this difficult tunnel.
Love and hugs xxxx
May 2004 Breast cancer lumpectomy followed by radiotherapy, Tamoxifen 5 years, then Femara 2 years.

Jan 2017 resection around colo-rectal junction
T2bN1 M0
March 2017 Chemo Folfox started. Oxaliplatin for 4 treatments, then just 5 FU and Leucovorin for remaining 8 treatments.
June 2017 clear scan
Last chemo August 2017
August 2017 clear scan
February 2018 clear scan

Tdubz

Postby Tdubz » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:51 pm

Thanks Judi. i can see the light. It always gets a little brighter when the off week rolls around lol. Evening of day 2 through day 4 seems to be when I feel the worst so being Day 5, I'm in a pretty good mood right now! Hope everyone enjoys their weekend!

Tdubz

Postby Tdubz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:56 am

so my nose has felt pretty dry for the past week or so and I had a bloody nose today. anyone else experience this? I'm pretty sure it's from the chemo since I've never had a bloody nose before. Other than that, it's been a great week so far. Round 4 starts Monday so I'm glad Father's Day is this weekend and I can enjoy it with the family. Hope all of you have a happy Father's Day!

benben

Postby benben » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:16 am

Tdubz wrote:so my nose has felt pretty dry for the past week or so and I had a bloody nose today. anyone else experience this? I'm pretty sure it's from the chemo since I've never had a bloody nose before. Other than that, it's been a great week so far. Round 4 starts Monday so I'm glad Father's Day is this weekend and I can enjoy it with the family. Hope all of you have a happy Father's Day!

Happy Fathers Day Tdubz - enjoy your family today! I get to spend my early morning going into ICU for my first neupogen shot to boost my WBC.
My son is still displaying cold symptoms, so won't be hanging out with him. I'll see him sometime today as he comes to mow the lawn that desperately needs it, since its been 2 weeks.

Yes nose bleeds while on folfox are common I believe. I've had one, but I've been prone to get nose bleeds since I was an adolescent.
The soft tissues in our body are subject to easy tearing as they are effected by the chemo. I'm one to blow my nose after showering, but have to really minimize the force or even forego that in order to not have a bleed.

Enjoy your last "good" day off and gluck on treatment 4. I go in Tuesday for treatment 3 provided the neupogen shots (today and tomorrow) have boosted my WBC.

cheers.
----------------------
5/3 med port install
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

Tdubz

Postby Tdubz » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:32 pm

Hopefully the shot works for you and you don't have to delay treatment. How low did your WBC counts have to go for them to give you a shot?

JudiB

Postby JudiB » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:27 am

Yes, I too have a sore nose! It bleeds easily and runs a lot too! It is itchy and sore inside. I use a saline spray and then vaseline to keep it moist, especially before going to bed! The onc suggested a nasal spray (Gelositin), but it just runs back out! The Vaseline stays put!
Hope your​ nose soon feels better... it's all these little things that conspire to make us uncomfortable as they mount up! Each on its own is sort of ok but they soon add up!!
I'm in the chair having infusion as I type...day 1 of the 9th treatment ..after the halfway milestone, it seems to go more quickly...hope you find the same!
Overall, I feel quite good after treatment now, just fatigue but still managed dance class the evening the pump came off last time! Later this week, I have lots of activities planned so hoping for the same!! I felt so well the last time that I joked that they gave me a placebo!!
Hugs from across the globe!
Xxx
May 2004 Breast cancer lumpectomy followed by radiotherapy, Tamoxifen 5 years, then Femara 2 years.

Jan 2017 resection around colo-rectal junction
T2bN1 M0
March 2017 Chemo Folfox started. Oxaliplatin for 4 treatments, then just 5 FU and Leucovorin for remaining 8 treatments.
June 2017 clear scan
Last chemo August 2017
August 2017 clear scan
February 2018 clear scan

Tdubz

Postby Tdubz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:34 am

Hey Judy, congrats on the 9tht treatment. You are so close to being done. Im about to get ready myself to get #4 done today. Crazy to think I'll be a 1/3 of the way done after today.

Oh and I almost forgot, got some good news last week, my cancer isn't genetic! Now I don't have to worry about passing this on to my kids. I'm sure they will have to get a few more colonoscopies and have them a bit earlier than the average person, but that's better than the alternative.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”