bleeding Months after pre cancerous polyp removed- Age 26

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Lisa1990

bleeding Months after pre cancerous polyp removed- Age 26

Postby Lisa1990 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:30 am

I am 26 years old and In January 2017 I had a pre cancerous polyp removed. I never got anymore information other than that it was pre cancerous and that I would need to be checked again in a few years. After a few weeks I started to feel better and I evem started to gain my weight back. Then out of nowhere In april I started to get pain in my lower back and my lower stomach. Then a few days later i started to have red bloodwith my bowels but that only lasted for 2 days and it had small clots. Then a week later as im sitting down watching tv I start to sweat really bad but i was freezing. I got up to check my temperature and it was fine but by then i was shaking bad and felt really weak. I went to the hospital and its a small town so they ran some tests and all Xray,CT scan,blood test, and urine test came back normal and they sent me home. I felt so faint and so horrible the next morning my mom drove me out of town to another hospital who ran more test even a rectal exam and all test came back normal. Now im home but im still having stomach pain,back pain and i still feel shaky but not bad just really cold. Im scheduled to see a OB so they can refer me to a Gastroentologist. I was just wondering should I be worried about colon cancer? I have no family history of colon cancer and im just worried and so is my family cause i have been in and out of hospitals and I have 2 young children who depend on me. Im just so desperate for answers. I dont know what to think anymore.

sadysue

Re: bleeding Months after pre cancerous polyp removed- Age 26

Postby sadysue » Sat May 06, 2017 1:31 pm

I am no doctor and sorry to have no answers for you but it doesn't sound like colorectal cancer to me. Blood in your stool is only one sign of cancer but can be many other things as well. If you are always feeling ill, I would keep pushing doctors you are seeing to probe deeper for what might be bothering you. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!
Rectal dx 4/2011 (Stage 3B - T3N1M0)
5FU/Rad - daily/6 wks ending 6/2011
Surgery 8/19/2011
Finished 8 rounds Folfox 2/2012
Ileo reverse and port out 3/2012
NED

Lisa1990

Postby Lisa1990 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:43 pm

Okay thank you so much for takiny time to answer :) i appreciate it

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat May 06, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi Lisa,

Who removed your precancerous polyp? Assuming you had a colonoscopy, butt they are generally done by a gastroenterologist. What type of doctor did your procedure? Wondering if you have something like Crohn's disease. I too don't think it's colon cancer either.

Does colon cancer run in your family? Because you had a precancerous polyp, any sibling and your parents should also be checked out.

good luck, hope you get answers soon. And keep us posted.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

del

Postby del » Sat May 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Lisa1990 wrote:I am 26 years old and In January 2017 I had a pre cancerous polyp removed. I never got anymore information other than that it was pre cancerous and that I would need to be checked again in a few years.

I would be pushing for the next colonoscopy to be at 12 months. If no new polyps are discovered then you might push out the next one a bit further, but I think waiting a few years for the first follow-up colonoscopy after a pre-cancerous polyp was discovered is risky. And due to your age, I would also be pushing for genetic testing if you haven't already.

Good luck, I hope you get to the bottom of what's causing your symptoms!
Male, 33 @ dx, stage 1 RC (T1N0M0 mod. diff. 0/29 LNs)
2016-02 - Cancerous polyp removed during colonscopy, 0.5 mm margin
2016-03 - ULAR & TME surgery, temp ileostomy
2016-04 - DVT, pulmonary embolism
2016-11 - Ileostomy reversal
2018-10 - Another DVT & PE
2021 - 5 years of clean scopes/scans/bloods

PainInTheAss

Postby PainInTheAss » Sat May 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Lisa1990 wrote:I am 26 years old and In January 2017 I had a pre cancerous polyp removed. I never got anymore information other than that it was pre cancerous and that I would need to be checked again in a few years. After a few weeks I started to feel better and I evem started to gain my weight back. Then out of nowhere In april I started to get pain in my lower back and my lower stomach. Then a few days later i started to have red bloodwith my bowels but that only lasted for 2 days and it had small clots. Then a week later as im sitting down watching tv I start to sweat really bad but i was freezing. I got up to check my temperature and it was fine but by then i was shaking bad and felt really weak. I went to the hospital and its a small town so they ran some tests and all Xray,CT scan,blood test, and urine test came back normal and they sent me home. I felt so faint and so horrible the next morning my mom drove me out of town to another hospital who ran more test even a rectal exam and all test came back normal. Now im home but im still having stomach pain,back pain and i still feel shaky but not bad just really cold. Im scheduled to see a OB so they can refer me to a Gastroentologist. I was just wondering should I be worried about colon cancer? I have no family history of colon cancer and im just worried and so is my family cause i have been in and out of hospitals and I have 2 young children who depend on me. Im just so desperate for answers. I dont know what to think anymore.

I think you should get another colonoscopy asap from a different doctor, preferably a colorectal surgeon. It doesn't sound like colon cancer, but you could have something else. For example, the place where they cut the polyp may not have fully healed. A friend of mine knows a guy who bled to death two days after a polyp was snipped. You may also have gotten your colon perferorated during the colonoscopy. This happened to both my dad and my grandfather. There are other serious things besides colon cancer that would warrant another colonoscopy to check it out. I hope you feel better soon!
47yo single mom of 4 (24, 21, 18, 16) at Dx
6/13 - RC T4b IIIc 5LNs on PET CEA 5.4
8/13 - Finish chemorad
10/13 - APR/hyst+ovaries/perm colostomy 2/12 nodes+
6/14 - Finish Xelox 6 rds
1/15 - CT clear CEA 0.2
10/15 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.7
4/16 - CT clear
10/16 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.6
5/17 - PET clear? Follow up MRI to verify inflammation

Lisa1990

Postby Lisa1990 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:27 pm

A gastroentologist did my colonoscopy. But now I have decided to go to a bigger town and maybe they can help me find what it is. I asked the gastroentologist if it was Crohn's disease or anything else cause i get alot of mucus in my stool and he said no. But he also told me I couldn't be losing weight the way i was with a colon polyp but now since it is gone my weight was starting to come back.
I also didnt know about my family needing to be tested. I will talk to them about it. Thank you for informing me. And No there is no history of any colon problems in my family just different cancers on both sides my mom and my dad.

Lisa1990

Postby Lisa1990 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:29 pm

I am pushing as hard as I can to have another colonoscopy or other tests done cause i know the way i am feeling is not normal.

Thank you All

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat May 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Lisa1990 wrote:I also didnt know about my family needing to be tested. I will talk to them about it. Thank you for informing me. And No there is no history of any colon problems in my family just different cancers on both sides my mom and my dad.

Hi Lisa, Thank you for clearing the question I had regarding the gastroenterologist. Because of other types of cancer in your family, you, your siblings, parents may want to get some genetic testing done down the road. Certain people (genes) are prone to certain cancer. Knowledge is always empowerment.

I'm glad you are following up with different doctor. With your symptoms, something is going on and if the 1st doctor did not find anything, time for a 2nd opinion.

Keep us posted and all the best,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Lisa1990

Postby Lisa1990 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:53 am

Thank you Lee I will keep you all posted.

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Sun May 07, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm glad you're going to see a gastroenterologist and hope you get answers soon!*hugs* I hope you feel better soon!
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Lookingforanswers

Postby Lookingforanswers » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi Lisa,

I have had very similar symptoms and am just wondering if you've gotten any answers. Please let me know and thanks!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”