Rectal cancer stage 4

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Clopezbryan

Rectal cancer stage 4

Postby Clopezbryan » Mon May 01, 2017 5:21 pm

I was diagnosed with stage 2 rectal cancer on December 22, 2016. I received radiation and chemo followed by the LAR with A temporary ileostomy on April 19. After my surgery I went home and was taken right back to the ER because of really bad pain And nausea. They did a CT scan and found suspicious lesions in my liver and lungs. My pathology came back with three out of 16 lymph nodes positive for cancer. I've been reading posts for the past couple days and my husband's been working on getting some second opinions scheduled. I'm overwhelmed by all the things that I need to do and I was just wondering if anybody has some advice? My oncologist wants to start me on three medications of chemo in two weeks which would be a month after my surgery. I'm only 35 and I have two young children I would really like to be as aggressive as possible. I just want to make sure that I'm making the right decision. I'm also looking for personal stories of hope right now, as I try to remain positive.

Lee

Re: Rectal cancer stage 4

Postby Lee » Mon May 01, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi and welcome, sorry for the reason you are here.

Regarding 2nd opinion, YES, highly recommend it. My advice go to a major cancer treatment center. You really want to know about those suspicious spot on your liver and lungs. Have you had a PET scan yet?

What type of chemo is your Onc thinking about putting you on.

Remember to breath in, breath out, repeat. It is a scary time for you right now, butt you will get through this. You will find this site to be a wealth of information and support. You are not alone.

Fire away with any and all questions.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon May 01, 2017 6:33 pm

Clopezbryan wrote: I'm also looking for personal stories of hope right now, as I try to remain positive.

I'm a 13 year survivor or stage IIIC. Know that many people beat this cancer every day, including many stage IV folks. NEVER give up the hope. Many people eventually move on after there cancer journey, butt some of us stay around and try to help others.

Again, know that you are not alone here.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

LeonW

Postby LeonW » Mon May 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Clopezbryan wrote:I I'm overwhelmed by all the things that I need to do and I was just wondering if anybody has some advice?.

Hi Clope, sorry that you have to be here.
As for my advice, this is what I said some days ago somewhere else here, on finding the confidence to deal with diagnosis and the overwhelming uncertainties.
When my journey started and we did the usual initial freaking, DW suggested/decided to phone a cousin of hers who made it big in the medical world. His most important (and very valuable) advise was to find a medical coordinator who we would trust and ask his/her advise on anything we wanted/ needed to know/ caused worrying. Best advise we had, ever. It's a long time since and I still (occasionally) consult dr. Google but for background info only but refuse to worry about anything found until having discussed it with my trusted expert. No Google consult can match the educated opinion of someone who spent 11+ years in university and a good part of the rest of his/her life studying cancer, and knows your details.

I've switched trusted coordinators a few times and am now with a brilliant (young) cancer surgeon who I can ask anything and who, I know for sure, will always deliver a straight answer. Less optimistic facts/opinions are sometimes introduced with the question if I / we really want to know (always do !).

I/we trust him, and decided to live life without worrying before consulting him. Am approaching yr-5 since diagnosis / yr-4 since liver resection . . . and am only superficially anxious about next month's check-up :twisted:

Best wishes, and don't spend too much time with Dr. Google.
I hope this helps and let us know when you know more.

Leon

PS: . . . and try to write some of your history in your signature. It will help getting answers that matter.
Dec 2012 - CC 2 unresect liver mets, CEA 41.8 (MM 65yrs)
Jan 2013 - colectomy @ spleen 2/26 nodes IVa T3N1bM1a
Feb-Jul - 1x Xelox-7x Xelox/Avastin, shrinkage from #3
Aug - 2x PV embolization (both failed)
Sep 2013 - R liver resect, 25d hosp (liver failure/delirium, lung emboli, encephalopathy), no living cancer (pCR)
2014/15 - recovery, scopy: 2 polyps
2016 - new town/life
2018, scopy: 2 polyps
2018/20 low (1.0-1.4) CEAs/clean CTs: 4x2014, 6x2015-17, 3x2018-20
next June 2021!

TheSquire

Postby TheSquire » Mon May 01, 2017 8:27 pm

I agree with the advice in getting a second opinion from a major cancer center. I saw Dr Paty or Memorial Sloan Kettering in New York. He is excellent as is MSK. They may put you through their own series of tests and wil ask to see copies of all scans, reports and the CD ROM of your MRI, etc. You can use their secure web site to upload your files.
Age 53, male. Diagnosed with rectal cancer in lower rectum on 3/21/17. T2, N0, M0. No surgery. Going with Chemo-radiation approach. Started treatment on 4/25/17. Eight 14-day cycles of XelOx. Ended treatment on 11/3/17. Rectal exam and sigmoidoscopy (12/7) shows no tumor/complete response. Now on "watch and wait." Two years out still clear. Dec 2019.

stu

Postby stu » Tue May 02, 2017 1:25 am

Hi,
Welcome to the forum. I remember searching for hope when my mum was first diagnosis and to be truthful I held onto it and their stories gave a bit encouraging direction. When dispair surfaced I read their stories again.
The first couple of years were full of clinical intervention to get on top of the spread. Then she had several years without any treatment and lots of normal living.
Despite a lung resection last year she continues to have a good quality of life.
There is lots of information on immunotherapy on this forum which certainly was not around when my mum was diagnosed. Things are changing.
I wish you the very best,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

LMighty

Postby LMighty » Tue May 02, 2017 4:28 am

As a caregiver to my mom who is also battling stage IV rectal cancer, my advice is not to dwell on Googling too much about the disease especially on the grim sounding but outdated survival stats. Every case is different and we do have many folks here who beat stage IV.

Also maintain a healthy and enjoyable diet. This is very important for getting through future chemo. Your taste may also change during chemo so it could take some trial and error.

Last but not least, never lose hope. Believe you can beat this disease however dreadful it looks. Such faith itself does help in beating the odds.

Jus post here whenever you have questions or want to vent. You are not alone!
Supporter to my mom (64 yr); KRAS wild type; MSS

2012: DX Stage I, rectal cancer; resection and colostomy
5/16: DX Stage III, mets found; right groin lymph node and soft tissue
5-6/16: Radiation + Xeloda
7/16: DX Stage IV, pleural effusion; cancer cells found in fluid
7-12/16: Xelox + Avastin X 6
1/17: Clean PET scan, NED
2/17: Pleural effusion; recurrence
4/17: Iri + Erb X 3
5/17: Ascites; Chemo failed
6/17: Keytruda X 1
7/17: TECENTRIQ (atezolizumab) + COTELLIC (cobimetinib)
9/17: At peace

Lydia666

Postby Lydia666 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:49 am

You might find this inspiring! I did! Survival against all odds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w8Tg_s ... ture=share
Oct 2012- thyroid cancer
June 19, 2015 Dx@39 yrs- CRC-T3N1M0
No vascular, no perineural invasion
Aug-Sept 2015- 28 rad/5FU
Oct 28, 2015- LAR- temp ileo, neg. nodes- 0/11
March 2016- 6 rounds Xeloda/positive CHEK2 mutation
August 2016- DCIS and decided post prophylactic double mastectomy
May 2018 - clean CT
Sept 2018-clean scope
Devastation, total shock- oct 2018, invasion of peri mets
Dec 20 - 2 round of folfox
Mom to 4 & 7 yrs kids - at least i brought them to this level of independence.

mariane

Postby mariane » Wed May 03, 2017 7:20 am

I started my journey in June 2015 with 10+ liver mets. I had 6 years old twins. It was my 10th wedding anniversary. My first oncologists expected bad outcome. All my first doctors gave me zero chances to live longer than 2 years and 3 months maximum without chemo. My largest tumor was 7.5cm.... I found Cptmac post on different forum and learnt about HAI pump existence. Seeking HAI pump led me to Dr. K, MSKCC and their amazing surgeons. 11 months after my colonoscopy , after 4 surgeries I was NED. I am still NED after a year from surgery and almost 2 years from diagnosis. MSKCC worked for me well. On each visit in NY I meet more people who have similar story of despair and success. Each month now brings advances in therapy. There is hope. Good Luck!
mom of now 14 years old twins, dx @ 40 in 6/2015 with upper rectal cancer, 10+ liver mets, CEA 140
chemo: 8/2015 - 10/2016 - 4xFOLFIRINOX, 2xFOLFOX, 8xFOLFIRI, 10x5FU, HAI pump -12xFUDR
4 surgeries, complete pathological response
CEA<2 since 10/2015
NED since May 2016

I praise God for every day with my family!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”