Newly diagnosed mom

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
JesaWicked

Newly diagnosed mom

Postby JesaWicked » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:40 am

Hello everyone! I'm new here but have been a lurker for over a month. I'm a wife to a wonderful husband and a mother to a crazy 3 year old. Last month at 32 years of age I was diagnosed with stage IV Colon cancer (SRCC). It has been a whirlwind since then and very much overwhelming. I was angry, confused and shocked with the results but I had to go on and fight this for my family. Reading posts on here really helped me a lot with dealing with all this. I just wanted to say thank you.

It started last year around September when I first felt symptoms. I would feel really bad gas pains but nothing would come out when I went to the bathroom. When I was able to go there was blood in the stool. Unfortunately around the same time my period had stopped so the doctors were leaning more with reproductive issues with maybe IBS. I had a history of ulcers and gastritis so I didn't question it. As time went by the frequency of pains lowered but the pain when I did have episodes were worse. I threw up everything and could eat for a few days. Finally my doctor ordered a colonoscopy done on March 1st. Found a 10cm x 6cm mass in my Sigmoid Colon. A couple weeks later it was determined to be cancerous. Then diagnosed with stage IV with mets to my abdominal lining. I had a ileo loop done on April 6th to help with the obstruction while I go through chemo. The week after, my oncologist said my cancer type was SRCC. Ugh...

Im on FOLFIRI and will finish my 5FU (46hrs) today. First day in the chemo suite I was so nauseous and continued to feel that way all day. Yesterday I felt better with the 5FU. 1st round almost done. My oncologist said if everything goes well ill be doing the HIPEC procedure after 6mos of chemo.

Thank you for taking your time to read my story.
Female, age 33, mom of a 3 year old
03/16/17 - DX CC stage IV SRCC age 32
(mets: Abdominal)
04/06/17 - Ileostomy Loop
04/27/17 - FOLFIRI (x6)

benben

Re: Newly diagnosed mom

Postby benben » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:43 am

Well wishes to you JW. Stay strong. Keep fighting, and thanks for sharing.
prayers to you and your family in these tough times.
----------------------
3/29/17 diagnosed CRC - 44 y/o Male
4/17/17 ULAR - Straight anastomosis - no ostomy.
Path: low grade T3n1m0 - moderate diff.
KRAS - NO, MLH1/PMS2/MSH6/MSH2 - Normal.
5/3 med port install
5/22 folfox - first treatment.
3rd treat, delayed - low ANC - reduced to 90% OXI
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
Treats 8-12 - NO OXI, Luke & 5FU
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:09 pm

JesaWicked wrote:
Im on FOLFIRI and will finish my 5FU (46hrs) today. First day in the chemo suite I was so nauseous and continued to feel that way all day. Yesterday I felt better with the 5FU. 1st round almost done. My oncologist said if everything goes well ill be doing the HIPEC procedure after 6mos of chemo.

Thank you for taking your time to read my story.

Hi and welcome, sorry for the reason you are here.

Tell your Onc about your nausea. They can either prescribe something or give you meds prior to your infusion. Ginger is very good at controlling nausea. Ginger snap, ginger ale, ginger root, etc. Keeping food in stomach helps keep nausea away. Thus eat several small meals through out day vs 3 meals a day. I always got an egg & cheese breakfast sandwich on way to chemo.

You will find a wealth of information and support here.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:39 pm

Welcome and sorry for the reason you're here!*hugs* I hope that things will get better with your chemo and medication will help with side effects.
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi Jesa.
I see Lee is providing you with great info already, and I agree - let your onc know. Don't just suffer through it. And may I add how much I *hate* seeing that you were only 32 at diagnosis? Ugh. Wretched disease. I was 46 at diagnosis, and mom of a just about to turn 5-year-old (who is now 6). I can totally understand the feelings you're going through in being a Mom. It was the people on this support group that gave me the advice, encouragement and hope I needed. We're all brother-and-sisters in arms here. You are not alone.

Keep us posted on how things go for you. I will be praying that your treatment goes really well and is majorly successful. :)

Hugs and Prayers,
Tracy
DX 3/4/2016 Colon Cancer; age 46 Mom of then 4-yr-old
Stage IIIB: T3N1M0
3/31/16 Surgery
4 to 10/2016: Xeloda Monotherapy
CEA: 10/16 0.56, 1/17 0.54
CT CLEAR: 3/6/17; 4/17/18; 4/16/19
NED 3 years
“If I can help somebody as I walk along, then my living shall not be in vain.”

JesaWicked

Postby JesaWicked » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:02 am

Lee wrote:Hi and welcome, sorry for the reason you are here.

Tell your Onc about your nausea. They can either prescribe something or give you meds prior to your infusion. Ginger is very good at controlling nausea. Ginger snap, ginger ale, ginger root, etc. Keeping food in stomach helps keep nausea away. Thus eat several small meals through out day vs 3 meals a day. I always got an egg & cheese breakfast sandwich on way to chemo.

You will find a wealth of information and support here.

Lee

Thanks Lee! Yesterday I took sips of ginger ale and took a ginger based anti nausea pill and it seemed to work. Felt good enough to eat a great dinner.
DarknessEmbraced wrote:Welcome and sorry for the reason you're here!*hugs* I hope that things will get better with your chemo and medication will help with side effects.

Thank you! I hope chemo goes according to plan and I'll def talk to my oncologist for other anti nausea options.
WriterGirl1969 wrote:Hi Jesa.
I see Lee is providing you with great info already, and I agree - let your onc know. Don't just suffer through it. And may I add how much I *hate* seeing that you were only 32 at diagnosis? Ugh. Wretched disease. I was 46 at diagnosis, and mom of a just about to turn 5-year-old (who is now 6). I can totally understand the feelings you're going through in being a Mom. It was the people on this support group that gave me the advice, encouragement and hope I needed. We're all brother-and-sisters in arms here. You are not alone.

Keep us posted on how things go for you. I will be praying that your treatment goes really well and is majorly successful. :)

Hugs and Prayers,
Tracy

Aww thanks Tracy. Yep diagnosed at 32 and first season the day before my birthday. It was definitely a crappy birthday week with a bazillion doctor appointments but I managed to stay positive through it all. It's great to know that I'm not alone in this journey and there are awesome people here in the forum.
benben wrote:Well wishes to you JW. Stay strong. Keep fighting, and thanks for sharing.
prayers to you and your family in these tough times.

Thank you! I'll try my best :)
Female, age 33, mom of a 3 year old
03/16/17 - DX CC stage IV SRCC age 32
(mets: Abdominal)
04/06/17 - Ileostomy Loop
04/27/17 - FOLFIRI (x6)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”