I'm new here

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sparkle01

I'm new here

Postby sparkle01 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:11 am

I'm a 31 year old female! Had 3 children over the last 3 years, my youngest is 10 months. I have been having a pain on my lower left side the past few months. I'm quite skinny and I can feel a lump where it hurts. When I'm on my period it hurts constantly in that area and when my bladder is full it's even worse. So I went to the doctor on Friday and he said he can feel the lump. But has written a referral for an ultrasound. The waiting list is 8 weeks as I'm in the U.K. (So NHS) he said it's my colon. But maybe I've got endometriosis or diverticulitis?! I would have thought he would have sent me for a colonoscopy, even though I don't have dihorrea. My BM's have been a bit weird today but I think I'm anxious. He said it's unlikely to be cancer but I'm really concerned now. And have to wait ages for anything to happen. I had a lot of bleeding about 6 months ago but he said it was piles and gave me suppositories. Which have worked because the bleeding has gone. So maybe I shouldn't worry about that but the lump and the pain is worrying me. Now I'm not on my period anymore I can't feel the pain and I feel normal (I think!!) do you think this sounds like it could be cancer? I am really worried and can't sleep at the min. It's going to be a long 8 weeks :(

texazgal

Re: I'm new here

Postby texazgal » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:36 pm

Sounds more like an ovarian cyst. Not necessarily cancerous. Just try deep breathing and relax for now. Most of what a person worries about never happens. Sorry you have to wait, though.
DX rectal cancer Aug 04
Surgery Sept 04, perm ostomy, "BarbieButt" Sept 23, 04.
June 2019 stage 3 esophageal cancer
Aug. 2019 28 radiations, 5 chemo
Nov. PET shows original tumor and mets resolved, 2 new mets in liver and bone.
May 2020 port installed, started Folfox hope to do 12 rounds, cure not expected
Keytruda April 2021 8 rounds
scan showed small growth in tumors
Paclitaxol started summer 2021.
Scan July 30, 2021 showed small decrease in size of tumors in liver and bone

sparkle01

Postby sparkle01 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:32 pm

It's not my ovaries because I get ovarian pain when I ovulate, and I was worried about that a few months ago, so I had a scan to make sure I didn't have any cysts (I don't) The pain I get in my ovaries every month is very different to this pain. When I went to the doctor on Friday, he said it was my colon. He could feel where the lump is. The fact it's worse when my bladder is full is worrying me. It's as if it's pressing on something. I've looked online but I'm finding it hard to see whether it's typical of endometriosis or diverticulitis to have a lump on the colon, and pain but not have dihorrea or constipation

TXLiz

Postby TXLiz » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:22 pm

Hey Sparkle. Of course I am no doctor, and anything is possible, but...I had a huge tumor completely blocking my bowels and felt no abdominal pain. I just started vomiting.

I know your mind will be full of worst case scenarios, but try to not go to the bad place-cancer- until you have to. There's lots of other things you could have going on. I agree that it sounds more like an ovarian cyst.

I have an ovarian cyst too. And it's not cancer.

Please take care.
Vomiting and blockage 9/19/16 46 y F
R hemi colectomy 9/20/16
Stage 3 B CRC, located in cecum
3 out of 16 lymph nodes positive
perineural invasion/lymphovascular invasion
infiltrating, mod differentiated adenocarcinoma with a mucinous component
separate tumor nodules present in pericolonic adipose tissue
MSI-high
Baseline PET scan clear 9/16 CEA 0.5
FOLFOX 10/16- 3/17
April 16th, CT scan clear. CEA 1.1
Lynch "inconclusive"
Colonoscopy 10/5/2017 clear

teri3

Postby teri3 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm not a doctor by any means but I agree it sounds like it could be an ovarian cyst. Good luck.
Teri
58 yrs old female
MSS KRAS mutation G12V
adenocarcinoma sigmoid colon dx 11-14
sigmoidectomy 11-14
Stage 3A
3 out of 20 lymph nodes involved
started FolFox 1-27-15
11 rounds FOLFOX last one 6-30-2015
7-29-2015 PET clear
5-14-2016 CT 2 nodules one in each lung
Confirmed pulmonary metastasis stage 4
FOLFIRi + Avistin started 8-16 11 rounds complete 12-16
CT 12-16 nodules shrunk chemo break wait and see :?
CT growth
VATS l lung 4 10 17
VATS r lung 4 24 17
CT 2 nodules r up and l low :(

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:26 pm

Ditto to what others have already said. I too have had an ovarian cyst once, painful.

Butt no pain or symptom with my cancer. My primary Dr thought my bleeding hemorrhoids would be a good excuse to get my baseline colonoscopy early in life. That referral saved my life. I felt healthy when I was diagnosed. A complete shock to me and my primary Dr.

Follow up, butt try not to worry.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:07 pm

sparkle01 wrote:I'm a 31 year old female! Had 3 children over the last 3 years, my youngest is 10 months. I have been having a pain on my lower left side the past few months. I'm quite skinny and I can feel a lump where it hurts. When I'm on my period it hurts constantly in that area and when my bladder is full it's even worse. So I went to the doctor on Friday and he said he can feel the lump. But has written a referral for an ultrasound. The waiting list is 8 weeks as I'm in the U.K. (So NHS) he said it's my colon. But maybe I've got endometriosis or diverticulitis?! I would have thought he would have sent me for a colonoscopy, even though I don't have dihorrea. My BM's have been a bit weird today but I think I'm anxious. He said it's unlikely to be cancer but I'm really concerned now. And have to wait ages for anything to happen. I had a lot of bleeding about 6 months ago but he said it was piles and gave me suppositories. Which have worked because the bleeding has gone. So maybe I shouldn't worry about that but the lump and the pain is worrying me. Now I'm not on my period anymore I can't feel the pain and I feel normal (I think!!) do you think this sounds like it could be cancer? I am really worried and can't sleep at the min. It's going to be a long 8 weeks :(

Hi Sparkle.
First of all, so sorry that you have to be going through something that is so scary and painful when you are already busy taking care of your three little ones, but I'm very glad you found this group. It's a great source of information and support.

Having colon cancer at 31 is not unheard of, but it is still (thankfully) much more rare than having it later on. Also, in most cases, colon cancer is very slow moving and it takes quite a while for cancer to develop. This is probably why your doctor is saying that it's "unlikely to be cancer."

With regard to a mass that you can feel, it could be a number of things, so try not to let your mind go right to cancer. You mentioned you had some bleeding previously. The doctor would have noted some things like whether it was bright red (which is usually something more "surface" level like hemorrhoids or a fissure, etc.) or dark and tarry (which is more indicative of internal bleeding). I would hope he ran some bloodwork on you, as they would look for things like whether or not you are anemic, which would tell whether or not any bleeding is continuing that you can't see. There are also fecal tests that doctors can do as preliminary screening for colon cancer.

Now all that being said, if you have a history of colon cancer in your family at a young age, or of genetic dispositions to cancer that might put you in a higher risk group, you might want to push for a colonoscopy. Otherwise, try to sit tight. Believe it or not, 8 weeks is not all that long and should give you an idea what's going on.

Hopefully you will find some relief for what you are going through soon.

Hugs and Prayers,
Tracy
DX 3/4/2016 Colon Cancer; age 46 Mom of then 4-yr-old
Stage IIIB: T3N1M0
3/31/16 Surgery
4 to 10/2016: Xeloda Monotherapy
CEA: 10/16 0.56, 1/17 0.54
CT CLEAR: 3/6/17; 4/17/18; 4/16/19
NED 3 years
“If I can help somebody as I walk along, then my living shall not be in vain.”

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:23 pm

I'm going to disagree with the others & say demand a colonoscopy. It may very well not be cancer, but you want to be absolutely certain.

Bright red blood just means it's from lower in the intestinal track, black means further up.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:57 pm

Yes, and please let me chime in on the heels of what jhocno has said.
I don't think it would be a bad idea to have a colonoscopy, I just also think that it's too early to panic or jump right to cancer. Your doctor is not ignoring it, and if the test he is having you do does not show what's going on, then he may go from there to a colonoscopy. Talk to your doctor about it, if you have questions on his course of action. But don't panic. And don't read Dr. Google. Making yourself crazy will do nothing positive.

Hugs,
Tracy
DX 3/4/2016 Colon Cancer; age 46 Mom of then 4-yr-old
Stage IIIB: T3N1M0
3/31/16 Surgery
4 to 10/2016: Xeloda Monotherapy
CEA: 10/16 0.56, 1/17 0.54
CT CLEAR: 3/6/17; 4/17/18; 4/16/19
NED 3 years
“If I can help somebody as I walk along, then my living shall not be in vain.”

TXLiz

Postby TXLiz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:55 pm

jhocno197 wrote:I'm going to disagree with the others & say demand a colonoscopy. It may very well not be cancer, but you want to be absolutely certain.

Bright red blood just means it's from lower in the intestinal track, black means further up.

Def get a colonoscopy. At your young age few docs will think it's cancer; you do have to be your own advocate. To the extreme many times.

Can you ask for a colonoscopy, or will they make you wait until the ultrasound is completed?

Just try not to worry yourself sick until you have the tests performed, unless you start having very bad symptoms and feel you need urgent attention.
Vomiting and blockage 9/19/16 46 y F
R hemi colectomy 9/20/16
Stage 3 B CRC, located in cecum
3 out of 16 lymph nodes positive
perineural invasion/lymphovascular invasion
infiltrating, mod differentiated adenocarcinoma with a mucinous component
separate tumor nodules present in pericolonic adipose tissue
MSI-high
Baseline PET scan clear 9/16 CEA 0.5
FOLFOX 10/16- 3/17
April 16th, CT scan clear. CEA 1.1
Lynch "inconclusive"
Colonoscopy 10/5/2017 clear

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm sorry you're going through this.*hugs* I would ask for a colonoscopy if the ultrasound doesn't show what's going on. *hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

stu

Postby stu » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi,
I am in the UK and there is normally a way of highlighting urgent referrals suspicious of cancer. My sister presented with one episode of bleeding and got a colonoscopy. If the pain intensifies you could present at A and E , especially with a lump you can feel.
Maybe have another chat with your GP.
Kind regards,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

Basil

Postby Basil » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:23 pm

I would demand the colonoscopy. I found my way here a month and a half ago, paranoid after some bleeding. PCP didn't think I needed one. I got one anyway and it was rectal cancer at age 40. You probably do not have cancer. Odds are greatly in your favor. I almost blew it off but and I'm now glad I didn't.
40 y/o male (now 46), kids 11 & 14.
Dx 3/16/17, rectal cancer s3,t3,n1,m0
PROSPCT trial (FOLFOX in lieu of chemorad)
FOLFOX 4/5/17 - 6/26/17
LAR 7/31/17, temp ileo
pathological complete response
Adjuvant chemo cancelled (IDEA Study)
Ileo reversed 9/25/17
NED
1 year scans - clear
2 year scans - clear
3 year scans - clear
4 year scans - clear
5 year scans - clear (considered cured)

LeonW

Postby LeonW » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:02 am

My first reaction was same as most here: get the scope done. Mostly because my GP sent me for one immediately when I had tiny blood marks back in 2012. Glad I did - it was a tough journey, but I'm still here :oops:

Butt . . .
An scope targets irregularities in colon only, if it doesn't find anything you're still in the dark. The ultrasound that your GP wants, looks at all that goes on in your belly.

On second thought I believe your GP may be right: do a general ultrasound survey first. If it doesn't find anything, you still can/will have a scope. Same if it finds indications of colon thingies.

Best wishes
L
Dec 2012 - CC 2 unresect liver mets, CEA 41.8 (MM 65yrs)
Jan 2013 - colectomy @ spleen 2/26 nodes IVa T3N1bM1a
Feb-Jul - 1x Xelox-7x Xelox/Avastin, shrinkage from #3
Aug - 2x PV embolization (both failed)
Sep 2013 - R liver resect, 25d hosp (liver failure/delirium, lung emboli, encephalopathy), no living cancer (pCR)
2014/15 - recovery, scopy: 2 polyps
2016 - new town/life
2018, scopy: 2 polyps
2018/20 low (1.0-1.4) CEAs/clean CTs: 4x2014, 6x2015-17, 3x2018-20
next June 2021!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”