newly diagnosed newbie

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mpbser

Re: newly diagnosed newbie

Postby mpbser » Mon May 01, 2017 12:51 pm

Hello everyone,

This isn't "mpbser" but his wife (call me CV). He just got up from the computer really upset with what has been going on here. I asked him what was going on and he pointed to the monitor with disgust saying I should see for myself.

He was originally very excited and happy to have found this place, telling me that he was getting a wealth of information and answers to his questions. There were a couple of people who irked him over the past 10 days or so, he had explained, for pushing him towards chemotherapy with scare tactics. I had told him that that sounded very inappropriate to me. We had one of our many discussions about the regulation of professions with this conversation revolving around the parallels between law and medicine.

Then, something happened over this past weekend where he was called a fool and told to stop sniveling. I couldn't believe how much his attitude changed and how sickened he was by how he was being treated. I was appalled that a support forum would allow such behavior especially towards someone so newly diagnosed with such a serious condition and facing a major surgery in less than a week.

Last night, I reminded him that he seemed to be learning so much from others here and he should try to give the place a chance. I guess he was trying to explain in detail what he meant by unauthorized practice of medicine today but something happened in the responses. He was attacked. Again. Accused of lacking respect when it appears that the disrespect seems to have come from the other direction. At least that is the sense I got from scanning this thread. I could be mistaken as it's a very busy, crazy time right now.

If he returns, which he might as he says that someone named rp1954 has been amazingly helpful, perhaps people won't continue to be as nasty as I sense that they have been to him. He normally isn't so sensitive but this is an extremely tough time. In fact, he's usually not sensitive at all in online discussions like this. I don't know if it's the place or it's just his fragility right now, but, either way, I would like to request that the participants on this board show a little respect.
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
CEA: < 2.9
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
Immunohistochemsistry Normal
Fall 2017 FOLFOX shrank the 1 met in liver
1/18 Liver left hepatectomy seg 4
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
5/13/19 HAI pump catheter dislodge, nearly bled to death
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Mon May 01, 2017 1:38 pm

mpbser,
How did you manage to coordinate a cancer diagnosis with getting insurance for the first time?
That could be valuable to others.
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

justin case

Postby justin case » Mon May 01, 2017 4:15 pm

mpbser wrote:I'm sorry, but that is the Big Pharma dominated paradigm dogma that I simply don't buy into wholesale.

First, my wife reversed her cardiovascular disease naturally with diet, exercise, and supplementation when her primary care doctor wanted her to go on statins.

Second, she is educating me about the politics and money behind the pharma-cancer industry as she is an attorney who used to work in Regulatory Affairs for a bio-engineering company.

Third, I don't have an obstruction and fiber is absolutely essential to efficient digestion. Broccoli is one of those super foods with anti-carcinogenic properties (if organic) that is not difficult to digest as the nutritionist claimed. My only problem is that I have been on a high fat, low fiber, pro-inflammatory diet for far too many years. I'm going to rely on PhD level experts in clinical nutrition on this one.

Fourth, as I mentioned before, I know people who have completely reversed their Stage IV cancers going the natural route. Sure, you may know some people who said they tried a natural treatment protocol, but I know from my wife's experience that it has to be diligent and extreme in order to be effective. It's not about just modifying a little here, a little there. We are talking about 1 hr cardio 5x/week, mega doses of the appropriate supplements, extreme veganism with juicing and intermittent fasting, and no deviations. The people I have known to go this route, including my wife, are met with disbelief by their doctors, who act completely stunned. This is because the industry is so dominated by the Pharma interests that alternatives are unfathomable. But, I have seen it with my own eyes and have heard of it by a number of people who were skeptical and dug into the data.

I am not going to make a decision because I have been fear mongered or bullied into it, so please don't waste time trying to convince me one way or another. I didn't think that that was what this site is about, from the description I read in the introduction posts.

I hardly think Jaynee, is a fear mongor ! Many people have had good and bad experiences, with diet and exercise that only time will tell. Big Pharma is what it is, the natural route is what it is, I subscribe to a point well taken in your intro. newly diagnosed newbie. If you decide to go with the normal protocols, diet and exercise are vital to your existence. Perhaps if you don't, you will go through more torture, than chemo, radiation, or surgery. You have heard from several good hearted folks, still alive to give advice, perhaps at this point I should rest my case, and let your intelligence be your guide :roll:
Last edited by justin case on Tue May 02, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

justin case

Postby justin case » Mon May 01, 2017 5:01 pm

mpbser wrote:Thanks hellsbells, jjh, and Leon. Appreciate the input.

Peanut, no need to make snarky comments about broccoli [alone] as an effective treatment.

Got a call from my cardiologist this morning. He won't clear me for the surgery until I pass the nuclear stress test that had been scheduled (pre-diagnosis) for May 8th. It's been rescheduled for May 2nd, with follow up on May 3rd. My surgery is [now tentatively] scheduled for May 5th.

I wish I had some idea what will happen if my cardiologist doesn't clear me for the surgery. Too many unknowns.... making me very uneasy.

If I recall, beets and some fruits like pomegranate, can cure all. My friend, any new person to Cancer has unknowns left to face. Every case is different, so don't intend for someone to give you complete direction. You oncologist will have one idea, your surgeon will have another. Please be well advised, we have all been scared as hell, and live with the idea of recurrence every day. Some who I have met, in the last 5 years, are still going through treatment. Some whom I have , have passed away, doing clinical trials, to help others. Ha! even one of my friends was of the opinion, stage one cancer didn't need chemo, and died from a recurrence.WE ALL KNOW THAT FEELING OF WILL I GO BROKE GETTING TREATMENT, WILL I SEE MY CHILDREN GROW UP, WILL I MEET MY GRANDCHILDREN ? Colon cancer is survivable, as you have been detected early. Thank you for promoting colonoscopy exams, which is the main function of this forum !
Michael
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Mon May 01, 2017 6:08 pm

To CV (wife of mbpser)....I suggest that RESPECT is a two way street. Honestly, I don't believe that anyone on this forum (and I'll admit I haven't read each and every post) has been disrespectful. Believe me when I say that, as a moderator, we would have had a report had people been bullying, ganging up or in any other way being disrespectful. You have to understand that EACH and EVERY one of us has been scared, 'fragile'....call it whatever you want when we were faced with our initial cancer diagnosis. We all understand how all the information, opinions of doctors, treatment plans that are all being thrown at you from every direction is overwhelming, frustrating and overall, just plain terrifying. We've all been there when you hear those words "you have cancer' and your mind easily goes to the worst case scenario. There have been discussions over the years (on this board) that although the stage I or stage II patient can't possibly understand the overwhelming feelings that, for example, the stage III/IV patients are feeling, those early stage patients still are scared, nervous and understandably terrified AND still have the right to belong, post and express their feelings. So, we all 'get it' BUT.....we also understand that just because any one of us is a cancer patient, it doesn't give ANYONE the right to be obnoxious, snarky or anything else. That goes for all of us and honestly, while your post doesn't say this, it came across to me loud and clear that because your husband was just diagnosed....that what....we should treat him differently? I truly hope that's not what you are saying because if you believe that, you're sadly mistaken.

I think the biggest problem here is that most people don't and won't agree with your family's apparent choice of treatments and that's fine. However, if your husband and you think that by not supporting his choices we are being disrespectful....you're wrong. You honestly have NO idea of what is ahead for your family (unless you've walked our walk) and we are only trying to give you some real knowledge about what it is like, from any one of our perspectives, to be a cancer patient. Look, this forum is for sharing ideas and almost exclusively, we all have conformed to what is labeled as 'conventional medicine'. As I said in the beginning, RESPECT goes both ways....and again, I don't see anyone being disrespectful. Furthermore, for your husband to continually call some of us BULLIES and say that our behavior is 'sick' isn't being respectful in the slightest. Many of us have been on this board for YEARS and if there were problems with us, we wouldn't be here any longer. I understand that your husband is potentially 'sensitive' right now....that's just normal....but again, having cancer doesn't give anyone the right to think they deserve special treatment.

If your husband wants to PM certain people....that's fine. Certainly, he is more than welcome to continue posting BUT...remember that when don't people don't agree with him and tell him so, that's not bullying...that's merely expressing one's opinion based on the walk that we have already taken OR are still in the process of taking.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Swirdfish

Postby Swirdfish » Mon May 01, 2017 9:55 pm

" quote " I have been trying to learn as much as possible about diagnosis and treatment but there is so much to take in.

I just read this thread and wow.. :D I need some popcorn seriously, this stuff is juicy. Better then any movie out at the moment.

Seriously reminds me of my father in-law, no substantial evidence, copy's and pastes every website, without actually understanding what's on the website or even reading its contents, to push his natural agenda. But hey everything must be true on an unknown website.

What I do believe in is the numerous real life accounts of people on this forum, that's evidence. People that have lived and breathed every aspect of the different types of treatment with years of experience and results as opinions and not advice. I find this information more unbiased then some website claiming miracle cures.

For me the people on this forum have been exceptional.

If you don't like someone's opinion then do not respond. Its simple. This goes both ways.
06/2016 Went in for colonoscopy came out with a tumor. Age 35
12cm from verge at junction. Rectal cancer.
Clinical stage T3 NO MO
Temp illestomy
Completed 5FU and Radiation
LAR surgery planned 13 Oct 2016
Completed ULAR surgery 11-10-2016.
0/22 nodes
pT3 N0 M0 R1
Stage 2A

Pathology reviewed and changed
ypT3 N0 M0 R0

Started folfox 21-11-2016
5-4-17 NED
Reversal 12-4-17

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue May 02, 2017 8:53 am

justin case wrote:
If I recall, beets and some fruits like pomegranate, can cure all. . .
Michael

My Bro Nut, always good to see your posts.

As a friend reminded me recently, the pits of apricots have been know to cure cancer. Or at least that was the fad a few years back.

Always, your Sista Nut.
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

LPL

Postby LPL » Tue May 02, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi CV (wife of mpbser),
You wrote:
..something happened over this past weekend where he was called a fool and told to stop sniveling. I couldn't believe how much his attitude changed and how sickened he was by how he was being treated. I was appalled that a support forum would allow such behavior especially towards someone so newly diagnosed with such a serious condition and facing a major surgery in less than a week.
Last night, I reminded him that he seemed to be learning so much from others here and he should try to give the place a chance. .. He's usually not sensitive at all in online discussions like this. I don't know if it's the place or it's just his fragility right now,

First let me send the Best wishes for a good result of the upcoming surgery.
I did react to the use of the word "Fool" - but English is not my 1st language and I might be extra sensitive to that word due to that. I need to tell you that I have read this Forum for >1year now and I have Not experienced anything but kindness and people helping each other. I have learned So much!!!!!

I feel for your husband (and you) because before my hubby was diagnosed I had been reading A Lot about supplements and genes and how to help your body Chemistry with problems of different kinds. Even helped myself feel better that way with my own symptoms.
BUT then CANCER came in to our Lifes...! Hubby was diagnosed with CRC and the World turned upside down. For us, learning about/experiencing Cancer happened already in 2012 when a good friend was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer, then in 2015 a family member was diagnosed with Lung Cancer.
Only thinking genetics and body-Chemistry (supplements & diet) - NO - nowadays that to me is Important additivt(!) to the treatment that our Oncologist is recommending due to research but Not a replacement/alternative.

I'm sorry that your husband has been hurt by posts here (it does sound though that he also have stepped on many member's toes.. :cry: ) - Please tell him to try to rest for now and to come back after his surgery. Maybe knowing more about his own tumor & stage etc will make him understand better how others here are thinking?

Kind Regards LPL
P.S. There is a specific thread here for caregivers if you should be interested to take part. Welcome. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18704&start=3390
DH @ 65 DX 4/11/16 CC recto-sigmoid junction
Adenocarcenoma 35x15x9mm G3(biopsi) G1(surgical)
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D
CEA & CA19-9: 5/18 2.5 78 8/17 1.4 48 2/14/17 1.8 29
4 Folfox 6/15-7/30 (b4 liver surgery) 8 after
CT: 8/8 no change 3/27/17 NED->Jan-19 mets to lung NED again Oct-19 :)
:!: Steroid induced hyperglycemia dx after 3chemo
Surgeries 2016: 3/18 Emergency colostomy
5/23 Primary+gallbl+stoma reversal+port 9/1 Liver mets
RFA 2019: Feb & Oct lung mets

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue May 02, 2017 2:37 pm

mpbser wrote:I have come across some anecdotal evidence that alternatives work:

http://www.activistpost.com/2012/07/wom ... oming.html

http://www.chrisbeatcancer.com/

http://weartv.com/news/local/local-man- ... -naturally

http://radicalremission.com/

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/827945

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/sep/th ... -sometimes

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyle ... story.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/health/27canc.html

http://www.anticancermom.com/how-i-beat-cancer/

http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/n ... nials.html

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2015030 ... ing-cancer

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3312698/ (I love the use of the term "spontaneous" as if some divine miracle is at play. *sarcasm*)

http://naturalsociety.com/shocking-stud ... nd-common/ (Mentions the AMA and its inextricable ties with Big Pharma, which is discussed in detail in the book Cancer: Get Out of the Box)

thecancerassassin.blogspot.com (An interesting case of a combination of natural and conventional methods)

http://www.prevention.com/food/food-rem ... res-cancer

https://www.amazon.com/Harvard-Document ... 0997548207

http://www.extremehealthradio.com/the-1 ... ld-follow/

http://www.naturalnews.com/047924_lung_ ... juana.html (An acquaintance of mine has put his cancer into remission with Hoxey diet and CBD.)

and many many many stories at another forum, e.g.:

I have a friend that was diagnosed with 4 brain tumors several years ago. About 18 years ago she was given 2 months to live. After hearing that an older relative had breast cancer and went to the Hoxsey clinic she gave it a shot. 18 years later she's healthy and has had the chance to see all 3 of her daughters get married and have children, something doctors told her she'd never see. I tell everyone about the Hoxsey clinic, I'm a firm believer in it and I've seen it work.

My mom was diagnosed with Mestatic Colon cancer November 2006.  We went through the standard 5fu, CPT11, luecavorin regiment until March during which time she almost died twice (from the chemo, not the cancer).  She was one in 10,000 who couldn't tolerate the CPT11, which was regretful, because it seemed to be the only part of the regiment that was bring her numbers down.
In March, as a family, we decided to take her to Mexico to the Hoxsey clinic and completely abandon her chemotherapy.  Her doctor's all thought we were completely foolish, even though it was obvious to us all the the chemo wasn't doing any good.  The doctors in Mexico put Mom on a strict diet (tolerable however), and gave her a hoxsey tonic.  In June she also had a very successful liver resection (the one place the cancer had spread to after the colon was her liver).  By late August Mom's CEA level is down to 4.3.  We are amazed.  Not only by her falling CEA, but also by how healthy she is.  The chemo tore her down.  It was agonizing for all her kids to see her suffer to horribly.  It is awesome to see her able to do what she wants to and be back to herself again.
I would recommend the hoxsey clinic to anyone who is dealing with cancer.  It isn't a sure thing (as the doctor's down there told us also), but neither is chemo. 

I would recommend the Hoxsey treatment as well.  My grandfather and mother have both been on the Hoxsey Tonic and followed the Hoxsey diet.  The first time my mother went was back in the 1970's for cervical cancer.  She went again a few months ago for skin cancer.  My grandfather was diagnosed with bladder cancer, went to the BioMedical Clinic, and 6 months later was cancer free. 

I tried to read some of those sites that he linked above. The pop ups, advertising, sign ups and the fact they were not science based turned me off.

Frankly as hard as he has tried to push alternative medicine down this forum's throat, guess I'm really surprised he's not going with Hoxsey Clinic for treatment. I can't help but feel the reason is because he doesn't believe in it any more than I do.

And yes, he started first with the name calling. Bad judgement on his part.

I get it he's scared, butt he has no IDEA how lucky he is that a forum like this exist. Believe me I wish it were around when I was in active treatment with cancer. The knowledge is amazing here. Many people come here after being told there is no more that can be done, yet many are NED today because of the MANY people who offer there knowledge, time and support here.

The support here is awesome. For so many who come here frustrated about this or that or their family does not get it what they are going thru, we do. Why because we've being there.

We must be doing something right when you walk into your Onc office and see a Colondar on the wall. Or walk into your surgeon's office and also see that same Colondar on his wall. For those who don't know Colon Talk made yearly calendars with pic and bio's colon cancer survivors for many years.

Based on his intro, he was researching here before his 1st post, I assume he was smart enough to realized this is a science based forum. I assume he was smart enough to know he would get negative feed back when he started pushing the Hoxsey Clinic down this forum throat like it was better than the modern medicine.

I can help butt wonder was he trying to stir some pot here or was he just clueless about the reaction he would get.

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

Lydia666

Postby Lydia666 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:15 pm

What strikes me is the fact that it all started with "oh how much i have to learn", then people pouring in with input, and ended with many hollistic solutions like original poster (op) knew it all. So in the end, why ask others if you know the answers? It then surfaces that his/op's mom was cured a certain way... so what exactly are you looking for on here?
Oct 2012- thyroid cancer
June 19, 2015 Dx@39 yrs- CRC-T3N1M0
No vascular, no perineural invasion
Aug-Sept 2015- 28 rad/5FU
Oct 28, 2015- LAR- temp ileo, neg. nodes- 0/11
March 2016- 6 rounds Xeloda/positive CHEK2 mutation
August 2016- DCIS and decided post prophylactic double mastectomy
May 2018 - clean CT
Sept 2018-clean scope
Devastation, total shock- oct 2018, invasion of peri mets
Dec 20 - 2 round of folfox
Mom to 4 & 7 yrs kids - at least i brought them to this level of independence.

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:11 pm

Lee wrote:
justin case wrote:
Michael

As a friend reminded me recently, the pits of apricots have been know to cure cancer. Or at least that was the fad a few years back.

Always, your Sista Nut.

I suspect we may not be hearing from OP anymore. He's been online lurking, butt hasn't said anything after his wife posted.

So in the spirit of the nut clan, here's a fun fact for the day. :mrgreen:

(Warning, for mature audiences only.)

Amaretto (Italian for "a little bitter") is a sweet, almond-flavoured, Italian liqueur associated with Saronno, Italy. Various commercial brands are made from a base of apricot pits, almonds, or both.[1]

source Wikipedia

All the best,
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

stu

Postby stu » Tue May 02, 2017 4:33 pm

Hope the surgery goes smoothly and a good recovery follows.
I think before any surgery it's good to get your focus for what lies ahead . Your treatment plan can be pulled together thereafter.
Certainly supporting my mum through this process has required a lot of flexible thinking . My own mum hated the thought of chemo but it was the only option open to her and turned out to be a game changer. You just never know what might or might not be necessary but at least after surgery you will have better information about your own situation.
Kind regards,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue May 02, 2017 5:19 pm

peanut_8 wrote:
Lee wrote:
justin case wrote:
Michael

Always, your Sista Nut.

I suspect we may not be hearing from OP anymore. He's been online lurking, butt hasn't said anything after his wife posted.

Amaretto (Italian for "a little bitter") is a sweet, almond-flavoured, Italian liqueur associated with Saronno, Italy. Various commercial brands are made from a base of apricot pits, almonds, or both.[1]

source Wikipedia

All the best,
peanut

Ha Ha :D Well there it is, the cure for cancer, LOVE it.

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue May 02, 2017 6:18 pm

Respectfully, to all members posting into this topic :

I do believe that the overall usefulness of this discussion has been realized and continuing it ad nauseam isn't likely to benefit any one of us.

We are always about the "disease inside the person" ... BUTT ... sometimes need to consider the "person inside the disease"

I posted a song lyric in the O/T diversion ... The Voice Spring 2017 ! which to me ..... exemplifies the exact dynamic of this topic.

Not that anybody is "right" or that anybody is "wrong" .....
Just that maybe we could all take a step back from our own positions which are, after all, well delineated here already.

This is my personal take on this.

Just FYI ... the Mods / Admins have had reports on this topic and there is discussion whether it needs to remain open at all.

JMO : we are all, after all "Human" ... cited reference very much intended.

Harmony
CR
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

justin case

Postby justin case » Tue May 02, 2017 6:51 pm

peanut_8 wrote:
Lee wrote:
justin case wrote:
Michael

Always, your Sista Nut.

source Wikipedia

All the best,
peanut

You must really like nuts, but I prefer Bailey's in my coffee, once in a blue moon. Beer !!!!!!! 8)
Bro Nut
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”