I'm so new here, with an old story

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Shellbell

I'm so new here, with an old story

Postby Shellbell » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:34 am

Hi, I am new here. Have been member of osteomates online uoaa webstie since 3 months into my journey. wasn't aware this was here, i wish i had know. .
i was 29 last october when i woke up with an bag and staples. had never heard of an ostomy.
This has been a year of change, last summer i had some rectal bleeding, always was tired, lost weight(on weight watchers thought) thought it was from birth of my son 3-1/2 years prior, i had felt that way all along, and the symptoms weren't adding up.
i was treated all summer for ibs,stress, just "cramps" ect.
in september the pain was unbearable, my parents divorcing and my brothers wedding seemed the culpret.
3 days in october before my brothers wedding, i ended up in the er 3-4 times, they finally did an xray and saw a blockage. .i missed the wedding
(i was maid of honor) and had a 9 day hospital stay...
the tumor completely blocked my colon, they removed 4 inches and put in colostomy.
i went thru 51/2 months of chemo dec. through may. it was the longest 5 months of my life.
my family and church were very supportive, and prayed me throught it all.
my husband has been wonderful through this and i still can't believe what has happened
august 8th they reversed my ostomy (frankie, was his name)
i'm sitting here steri-stripped together, almost healed up, not quite normal. i think in about a month i'll be good.
learning to use the loo again.
what a long strange trip this has been
i wish i knew about this before. the youth discussion group on uoaa. has been wonderful gettting me throught the ostomy part.
the chemo and realizing of cancer i would still like to discuss.
i'm glad i found this.
how can i get the word out you don't have to be "old" to have colon cancer.
been thinking about it since this started.
thanks for letting me rant!!!!

Shell

Postby Shell » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:44 am

Now i'm a member.
also my cancer was stage 3.
contained to colon. the chemo was preventative because of my age.
they said i'd had the tumor 5-10 years.
soooo. crazy
But I'm so blessed!!!!
I'm alive!

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:52 pm

Welcome to the board, Shell. I'm stage III too. I'm on chemo and almost done with it. I'll finish up in early October. Nice to hear from you.

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:24 pm

Shell,

Welcome to the board. I was diagnosed over 2 yrs ago with stage 3 rectal cancer.
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:07 am

Hi Shell, i'm stage 3 aswell. 31 years old. Likewise it all happened so quick for me to. Just going through my chemo, 3rd cycle next week. Im having the Oxylplatin (infusion) followed by 2 weeks of Xeloda then a week off, and yes the club is fantastic to get young persons views aswell as older persons. Middle aged is a better word. Best of luck.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:40 am

Yes, Nick, Middle aged is better. I'm 52 and VERY young. I've been a bride for four years and a mother for eight. I'm new at all of this. Most people my age are grandparents. I'm way too young for this. Aren't we all?

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:31 am

We most certainly are, i mean its bloody typical. I became a dad for the first time myself last November after my partner had 4 miscarriges. So a little bundle of joy turns up, then bang! but the good thing is he keeps me busy whilst they pump these chemicals in.

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:59 am

Welcome to the Club Shell!!

I am a Stage IIIa myself. 19 months cancer free now! It has been a long road but with the help of friends, family and everyone here, I am doing just great! Hang in there and keep checking back here for support and any help you can get.

Peg

Shell

Postby Shell » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:12 pm

Thanks for the welcome.
Really glad to be here!!! :D
it's just nice to know you're not alone

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”