Surveillance

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Swirdfish

Surveillance

Postby Swirdfish » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:35 pm

Hi All,

Had my onc meetings yesterday, and now that I've finished chemo, he wants to put me on 6 monthly checks. I mentioned will these be CT scans, however he said that all they want to do is to ultrasounds on my liver only, and CT scans once a year. I sort of questioned this, and he said too many CT scans are dangerous.

What is the normal follow-up for rectal cancer?
I thought rectal cancer usually goes to the lungs and not the liver, however anything is possible.
Are ultrasounds enough?
Is 6 monthly checks ok, or should I do 3 monthly.

What is everyone else routine with similar condition as mine?

I said I want my lungs checked too, and he planned in for a x-ray at the 6 months with an ultrasound of the liver.

Also they will only monitor me for 5 years, as they say any longer is not required. I thought rectal can reoccur later then colon.
Last edited by Swirdfish on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
06/2016 Went in for colonoscopy came out with a tumor. Age 35
12cm from verge at junction. Rectal cancer.
Clinical stage T3 NO MO
Temp illestomy
Completed 5FU and Radiation
LAR surgery planned 13 Oct 2016
Completed ULAR surgery 11-10-2016.
0/22 nodes
pT3 N0 M0 R1
Stage 2A

Pathology reviewed and changed
ypT3 N0 M0 R0

Started folfox 21-11-2016
5-4-17 NED
Reversal 12-4-17

NZJay

Re: Surveillance

Postby NZJay » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:37 pm

I have had:

3 monthly CEA tests
6 monthly physical exam with surgeon
12 monthly CT scan

Currently awaiting my 3-year CT scan, which was completed over 6 weeks ago ugh.
11-13 Dx CC
SPS T4b(touched stomach organ),N1(3/23),M0(Stage 3B)
11-13: resect + partial gastrect
2-14: 1 Tx Cape + Oxy; renal failure, colitis
4-14: 7 Tx Capecitabine
1-15: clear CT
7-15: clear scope
1-16: clear CT
3-17: clear CT
10-17: clear scope (5 year gap now!)
CEA@dx: 8.4 / 6-15: 4.0 / 10-15: 4.2 / 2-16: 4.9 / 7-16: 4.9 / 11-16: 5.0 / 6-17: 4.5
NED since resection

Swirdfish

Postby Swirdfish » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:21 pm

6 weeks ago wow. Wonder what the delay is. Usually I have mine in couple of days. That would suck.
Clinical stage T3 NO MO
Temp illestomy
0/22 nodes
pT3 N0 M0 R1
Stage 2A

ypT3 N0 M0 R0

5-4-17 NED
Reversal 12-4-17

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:36 pm

Swirdfish wrote:Had my onc meetings yesterday, and now that I've finished chemo, he wants to put me on 6 monthly checks. I mentioned will these be CT scans, however he said that all they want to do is to ultrasounds on my liver only, and CT scans once a year. I sort of questioned this, and he said too many CT scans are dangerous.

My Onc initially said the same thing, so instead I went with CT in the spring and abdominal U/sound and chest xrays in the fall = imaging every 6 months with exam and bloods as well.

THEN a simple xray and a GREAT radiologist picked up my lung met at 2 years and I went to every 3 months with exams and bloods, 3 monthly CTscans and a new Onc ! Initially even he said " too many CTs yada yada yada ... "

So I told him point blank " I would rather die from radiation and too many scans....... than from a cancer we didn't know about because nobody was doing scans ! "
To his credit, he got my point, and I don't know if I have given you my standard disclaimer about this ... BUTT :
" You will MISS more for not looking ... than NOT KNOWING ! "
A quote from my Medicine Prof who was awarded the Order of Canada ..... now all my docs will at least LOOK, or they are kicked to the curb.

Swirdfish wrote:What is the normal follow-up for rectal cancer? it will vary from Onc to Onc and site to site

I thought rectal cancer usually goes to the lungs and not the liver, however anything is possible.
the ONLY rule with cancer is : there are NO rules :twisted: BUTT yes rectal to lungs and colon to liver is more likely BUTT not absolute

Are ultrasounds enough? NO ! keep LOOKING at the chest as well !!!!!

initially 6 months for imaging could be OK with chest xray + abdominal U/sound then full chest-abdomen-pelvis (CAP) CT 6 months later
so you are getting "looked at" every 6 months, and still do exam / bloods every 3 months

I said I want my lungs checked too, and he planned in for a x-ray at the 6 months with an ultrasound of the liver.
Also they will only monitor me for 5 years, as they say any longer is not required. I thought rectal can reoccur later then colon.
NO Rules for cancer = KEEP LOOKING somehow some way !

you are asking ALL the right questions !!!!!

Cheers and Harmony
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Swirdfish

Postby Swirdfish » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:08 am

CRguy wrote:
Swirdfish wrote:Had my onc meetings yesterday, and now that I've finished chemo, he wants to put me on 6 monthly checks. I mentioned will these be CT scans, however he said that all they want to do is to ultrasounds on my liver only, and CT scans once a year. I sort of questioned this, and he said too many CT scans are dangerous.

My Onc initially said the same thing, so instead I went with CT in the spring and abdominal U/sound and chest xrays in the fall = imaging every 6 months with exam and bloods as well.

THEN a simple xray and a GREAT radiologist picked up my lung met at 2 years and I went to every 3 months with exams and bloods, 3 monthly CTscans and a new Onc ! Initially even he said " too many CTs yada yada yada ... "

So I told him point blank " I would rather die from radiation and too many scans....... than from a cancer we didn't know about because nobody was doing scans ! "
To his credit, he got my point, and I don't know if I have given you my standard disclaimer about this ... BUTT :
" You will MISS more for not looking ... than NOT KNOWING ! "
A quote from my Medicine Prof who was awarded the Order of Canada ..... now all my docs will at least LOOK, or they are kicked to the curb.

Swirdfish wrote:What is the normal follow-up for rectal cancer? it will vary from Onc to Onc and site to site

the ONLY rule with cancer is : there are NO rules :twisted: BUTT yes rectal to lungs and colon to liver is more likely BUTT not absolute

Are ultrasounds enough? NO ! keep LOOKING at the chest as well !!!!!

initially 6 months for imaging could be OK with chest xray + abdominal U/sound then full chest-abdomen-pelvis (CAP) CT 6 months later
so you are getting "looked at" every 6 months, and still do exam / bloods every 3 months

NO Rules for cancer = KEEP LOOKING somehow some way !

you are asking ALL the right questions !!!!!

Cheers and Harmony
CRguy

Thanks CRguy for your reply. I was worried as he only wanted to check the liver and not lungs.

I think chest x-ray and ultrasound on the liver 6 monthly would be okay, with full CT scan yearly.

My CEA wasn't a real marker for me, as it was very low even when I had the tumour and hasn't moved. So there was no mention of getting bloods done 3 monthly.
Clinical stage T3 NO MO
Temp illestomy
0/22 nodes
pT3 N0 M0 R1
Stage 2A

ypT3 N0 M0 R0

5-4-17 NED
Reversal 12-4-17

JudeD59

Postby JudeD59 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:08 am

Once I couldn't do Folfox anymore, I had appointments with my oncologist every three months where he would do blood tests (including CEA) and give me a physical exam. As for CT scans--had one at diagnosis in April 2015, one after my surgery September 2015, one in April of 2016, another last September 2016, and I'm scheduled for one this September. At my last appointment in February, my oncologist said he's ready to move my appointments to every four months instead of every three. The scan in September 2016 was a PET/CT scan. My onc said he's keeping a closer eye on me because my CEA numbers were so high before surgery. The only ultrasound I've had was the endoscopy for staging right after diagnosis. I also had a colonoscopy last August and because the results were clear, I don't have to have another one for 3 years. I hope this answers some of your questions.

Good luck!
Judy
56 yrs old, wife, mother to 4 daughters
RC Stage II T3N0M0 DX April 2, 2015
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
Xeloda and radiation finished 06/15/15- CEA 242
CEA right before surgery 81
LAR performed 8/12/15 Temporary ileostomy
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
PET scan 11-4-15 All clear
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Folfox stopped due to bad reaction
Reversal 2/17/16
CEA 2/3/16 1.7
CEA 3/31/16 1.3
CT Scan 4/12/16 All Clear
Port removed 4/21/16
CEA 5/24/17 1.4

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:56 am

Swirdfish wrote:My CEA wasn't a real marker for me, as it was very low even when I had the tumour and hasn't moved. So there was no mention of getting bloods done 3 monthly.

Consider asking about CA 19-9 ( which I have done along with CEA 'cos Oncs love their CEA :twisted: NOT a marker for me either )
and check out rp1954 posts about other possible alternates such as LDH, which I also get done.

Keep pushing them and keep asking questions until you get a good answer !!

Cheers
CR
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”