Ileostomy revesal from rectal cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
tc24

Ileostomy revesal from rectal cancer

Postby tc24 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:54 pm

Hello All,

I am having my ileostomy reversal from rectal cancer April 17th and I am trying to get an understanding what to expect. I have heard that my bowels will take a few days to wake up and was wondering when they do will you have time to go to the bathroom or do you use something like a bed pan? Also how long did it take to get back to work and feel comfortable being out and about? Please any info will help me out.

JudeD59

Re: Ileostomy revesal from rectal cancer

Postby JudeD59 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:47 pm

It's hard to tell you what to expect because everyone's experience is different. I didn't use a bedpan and was able to make it to the toilet every time in the hospital. I brought a Depends with me to wear home from the hospital just in case, but ended up not putting it on and I was fine. Like I said, everyone is different, but I have good control and have had very few accidents. Those I've had have been minor when I either trusted a fart or waited too long to head into the bathroom and a tiny bit came out. Two things that I think have been important for me and helped a lot---strengthening the muscles down there before your reversal by tightening, holding, and then relaxing over and over again, and once you've had your reversal and gotten past the first few weeks of readjustment, trying to hold your bowel movement for as long as you can to train your bowel to hold more before needing to release.

If you use the search function at the top of the page and type in Reversal Log, you will find a 30 page thread with people posting their experiences as they are going through them. I'll find it and bump it up to the front page for you. You'll find that some people adjust quickly, find their new normal manageable, and are back to work in a few weeks or months. Others, like me, are still struggling to find answers after a year or more. No one can accurately tell you what to expect for yourself because, pardon the pun, it's a crapshoot.

There will be times when your bottom is extremely sore from going so many times. I recommend you stock up on cream to help with that, use fragrance free baby wipes, and I have a bidet which was a godsend for me. You'll also want to have immodium on hand for when your surgeon says it's okay to use. My surgeon sent me home telling me I could eat whatever I wanted, but from reading on here, I knew to start out slow with bland food and gradually try new things to find out what my body could handle and couldn't handle. I kept a spreadsheet of what I ate and when I had a bowel movement and if it was loose or hard or whatever. In the first months, tomato sauce sent me running for the bathroom, although I can eat it without problem now. And I still can't eat raw veggies or even certain cooked ones (green beans) without problems. I love almonds and can eat a small handful a day without problems, but if I get greedy and eat more than that, bad news bears. I've seen other members post a list of foods they can't tolerate after reversal and I can eat the things on their lists without issue, so it's all trial and error and very individualistic.

Although there are exceptions, chances are your first few weeks are going to be rough so be prepared to park yourself close to a bathroom, have some pain pills ready and lots of butt cream, and just know that it will get better. Also know that we are here to answer any questions and give lots of support and virtual hugs.

Judy
56 yrs old, wife, mother to 4 daughters
RC Stage II T3N0M0 DX April 2, 2015
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
Xeloda and radiation finished 06/15/15- CEA 242
CEA right before surgery 81
LAR performed 8/12/15 Temporary ileostomy
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
PET scan 11-4-15 All clear
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Folfox stopped due to bad reaction