Rant - colon vs rectal cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Volfan

Re: Rant - colon vs rectal cancer

Postby Volfan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:45 pm

I tell them rectal cancer. When they look at me funny I just say mass in my ass.
I got that from someone on Facebook so I can’t take credit but I love that description.
Stage IV Rectal cancer with liver mets
Oxaliplatin, avastin, 5fu
48 yr dude

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:23 pm

Guess I am lucky :shock: I have had both,,,,so people are right no matter what they call it...but I feel ya...
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

menreeq

Postby menreeq » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:52 am

Badass wrote:FWIW-- the rectum is part of the colon. It is the last section-- so technically your surgeon's office is correct.

Yes, which I think supports the term colorectal carcinoma. The cells are the same. The pathology is the same. The difference in treatment, from what I understand, has more to do with the inherent difficulty of getting clear margins for rectal resection due to the complex anatomy of the pelvis. It's a small area with a lot of important structures, making the surgery more challenging.

When people say pancreatic cancer, everyone assumes adenocarcinoma but there are other types. Same with breast cancer. I wonder -- do the people with invasive lobular carcinoma feel like invasive ductal gets all the attention? No, really, I am wondering if there is an ILC board with a similar rant!

The way I see it, public health should strive for awareness of the top cancers affecting the population of that area/country. CRC is in the top 3. It definitely could get more attention.

As far as the term "rectosigmoid," which is where mine was, it can certainly be a management dilemma. There are many ways to define the border between these two areas, whether it is distance from the anal verge on colonoscopy, CT, MRI, flexible sigmoidoscopy, rigid sigmoidoscopy, site of peritoneal reflection, whatever! I spent way too long reading articles, trying to figure out if I was gonna have neodjuvant chemoradiation or not. I looked at my own CT and MR. I had two opposite opinions from GI docs who scoped me. In the end, the surgeon was the "decider." I think that speaks to whether they feel they can get it all out.

All this to say -- hey, this is the place to rant! Rant away! Don't fret over the clinical indication on Radiology reports -- this is often directly imported into the report based on what a clerk types in. The clerk just reads it off an order or an ICD code. I've had doctors give detailed histories on a requisition and then all I see is "pain." It's annoying.
Stage IIA rectosigmoid CC (T3N0M0)
Dx 6/5/17 @age 41ls
Workup: c-scope, EUS, rectal MRI, CT C/A/P
AdenoCA 5.5cm, WHO Grade 2, 0/22 LN, no distant mets
CEA 1.9 (6/5/17), 0.8 (2/28/18), 1.0 (9/17/18), 1.1 (4/16/19), 1.0 (9/24/19), 1.7 (7/8/20)
No lymphovasc/perineural invasion, clear margins
MSI intact, OncotypeDx RS 7
Lap sig colectomy 6/23/17, no ileo/colostomy
Genetics neg for mutations, 4 VUS
Xeloda monotherapy 8/13/17-1/22/18
PET/CT 3/21/18 NED
CT C/A/P 9/17/18 NED, 3/8/19 NED, 9/19/19 NED, 5/13/20 NED

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:21 pm

PainInTheAss wrote:Ignorance is frustrating, but we only know this so thoroughly because we have experienced it and learned about it. I did not have a clue about the difference between rectal and colon cancer before this. Not every person in the medical field really thinks about the rsmiguvations of terminology, especially staff.

I say rental cancer sometimes, colorectal others, and don't correct the term "colon" when I hear it depending on the situation.

I am much more bothered by the constant barrage of pink. We are soooooooo aware of breast cancer thanks to relentless breast cancer awareness.

God it is nice to know that I am not the only one who is so over the damn save the tatas bullpucky. At first I thought I was just being cranky and mean, but seriously there are soooooooo many other forms of cancer that need recognition and study. Can we lay off the boobs for now and help someone out who has a different kind of cancer and would really like to survive too?

It seems like every where you go you see something relating to breast cancer. For once I would like to see them push a different kind. I do not donate to breast cancer research anymore. Even before I was diagnosed I was irritated by the singular focus on that one cancer. What about the cancers that affect children? I would rather (and do) give the money I have earmarked for donation to cancers of that type and now, colorectal cancer as well.

As far as the original topic, I see why it is frustrating as you have rectal cancer. I say colorectal because my primary tumor was located in both the sigmoid colon and the very beginning of the rectum. Therefore I truly have colorectal cancer.

There are so many individual variations with this cancer that a one size fits all name is what works best for most that are not dealing with it. If you have colon cancer use that term, rectal cancer - same thing. I think the more you refer to your particular cancer in the manner you want it referred to those around you will follow suit. If they say it incorrectly while talking about your health and diagnosis in particular by all means correct them gently. If it is a talk about colorectal cancer in general I would let it slide. It is a general discussion, not about you personally if that makes any sense.

I get how frustrating it is. I would absolutely be angry if the doctors office couldn't get it right. As CRguy said - READ MY DAMN CHART!!!

I hope you find a solution to your frustration soon. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Surgery 1 - 11/2015 LAR and colostomy
Surgery 2 - 11/2015 wound vac
Surgery 3 - 12/2015 revise resection, move colostomy
Mets to liver - tumor inoperable - one add'l met destroyed
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Primary tumor 9 cm x 7.5 cm x 2 cm
Beginning Folfox 1/2016 - Failed
Beginning Folfiri and vectibix 8/2016 — Failed
Beginning Folfirinox + Avastin 11/2016 - Failed
Beginning Keytruda 1/2017
CEA drop from 345 to 7.3 after starting immunotherapy
Lynch positive 3/2016

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:40 pm

And pink month is just around the corner.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”