how long til i feel normal again??

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mamajenn3

how long til i feel normal again??

Postby mamajenn3 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:15 pm

IM 46 DIAGNOSED AT 44 STAGE 2b RECTAL, HAD CHEM/RAD......SURGERY, REVERSAL, THEN 6 MO CHEMO!! iN MAY IT WILL BE 1 YR SINCE MY LAST CHEMO, DOCTOR SAID 1 YR TILL I FELT GOOD, IM STILL EXHAUSTED CAN BARLEY MAKE IT THROUGH WORK DAY, BEFORE THIS I WAS TRAINING FOR IRONMAN....... I WANT MY LIFE BACK :x

TXLiz

Re: how long til i feel normal again??

Postby TXLiz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:07 pm

That sucks, I hope you feel better soon. This disease is awful, and sometimes it feels like the treatment is worse.

Could you get a second opinion?

Training for Ironman has to be so intense...maybe focus on something easier? I know that's not what you want to hear.

My last cycle of FOLFOX ends tomorrow, thank you Jesus. My onc said to ease back into exercise because often people feel a bit better and want to go full on back to their life again.

I am sure there are those here who have great advice and can tell you how long it took them to be "normal" again.

Good luck, and I hope you can get back to your Ironman training soon.
Vomiting and blockage 9/19/16 46 y F
R hemi colectomy 9/20/16
Stage 3 B CRC, located in cecum
3 out of 16 lymph nodes positive
perineural invasion/lymphovascular invasion
infiltrating, mod differentiated adenocarcinoma with a mucinous component
separate tumor nodules present in pericolonic adipose tissue
MSI-high
Baseline PET scan clear 9/16 CEA 0.5
FOLFOX 10/16- 3/17
April 16th, CT scan clear. CEA 1.1
Lynch "inconclusive"
Colonoscopy 10/5/2017 clear

PainInTheAss

Re: how long til i feel normal again??

Postby PainInTheAss » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:55 am

I didn't really turn the corner as far as feeling "myself" until after about two years post treatment, but it was a gradual improvement, not all at once. I felt even better after three years. I don't have that painful crampiness from joints getting locked if I stayed in one position so it's a lot easier to move now, and I feel almost normal as far as that goes. My "batteries" last longer now, and I don't need as much sleep and I can keep going longer. I used to have to sleep 9 or 10 hours and now I'm back down to 7 or 8. I tend to do things in spurts and then rest in between so I can recharge for the next "spurt." I am getting a lot more done in a day now than I did in the months after treatment ended. I make lists of daily tasks and break bigger projects down into 5 to 10 minute chunks and work on several different projects a day. This keeps me moving forward even if it's at a snail's pace.
47yo single mom of 4 (24, 21, 18, 16) at Dx
6/13 - RC T4b IIIc 5LNs on PET CEA 5.4
8/13 - Finish chemorad
10/13 - APR/hyst+ovaries/perm colostomy 2/12 nodes+
6/14 - Finish Xelox 6 rds
1/15 - CT clear CEA 0.2
10/15 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.7
4/16 - CT clear
10/16 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.6
5/17 - PET clear? Follow up MRI to verify inflammation

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”