Difficulty passing stool

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
brownnurse

Difficulty passing stool

Postby brownnurse » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:46 pm

I had takedown after LAR for rectal Ca. I know have difficulty passing stool. It moves but small amounts and thin. I am on Miralax and Citrucel. My gastro said to use Senna. I am afraid that it will wear off. Anyone else? I am ready for a return to a bag for quality of life. I think it's adhesions or prolapse. I am 8 months out from ileostomy takedown. Thanks

MissMolly

Re: Difficulty passing stool

Postby MissMolly » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:52 pm

I have a permanent ileostomy due to an extensive intestinal perforation owing to long-term use of corticosteroids. My intestine basically unzipped like a long zipper.

I find living with a permanent ostomy No Big Deal. It is just a non-issue. My ostomy wafer+pouch is comfortable, discrete, and low profile. No one would be aware of the placement of my ostomy in my day-to-day life. It takes only a few minutes to empty the pouch, easy-peezy. My stoma is about the size of a quarter and is actually quite cute. There is no "yuck" and no "eewww" factor to my stoma.

I came to become Best Friends with NWGirl (Belle), a former Colon Club member and member of the UOAA ostomy forum. Bella made the decision to have a permanent colostomy after months of distressing bowel issues following her rectal cancer resection and takedown. You can do a search of Belle's insightful blog on this forum where she writes on her decision making process and life with her permanent colostomy. I believe her writings are archived on this forum, titled "Colundrum of a permanent colostomy" or something similar. Her writing is a 3 part series and is an eloquent and personal narrative.

Perhaps someone on this forum who is technologically adept can find NWGirl's 3-part blog and provide a direct link?

Belle would love to know that her words and writing continue to help and aide others. The world lost a great person with Belle's passing.

In my opinion, ostomies get a bum rap. There remains significant negative stigma associated with the words "ostomy" "stoma" and "bag." My ostomy has improved my quality of life and I am grateful for it. I honestly find having an ostomy to be preferred to defecating with an intact digestive system and anus. I never have to worry about bathrooms and toilets or whether the activity of my intestine will interfere with my morning or with my day. Once you find an ostomy wafer + pouch that is a good match for your abdomen's topography and for your day-to-day activities and lifestyle, life with an ostomy is pretty good.

With a colostomy, you would also be able to use disposable closed-ended pouches. Simply remove the pouch after a bowel movement, place in a plastic bag, seal, and dispose of in the trash. Closed-ended pouches make colostomy care neat and clean with a minimum of time or effort. You can also look into irrigation. Irrigation allows those with a colostomy to "flush" the lower colon each day of retained feces - minimizing the need to wear a pouch.

Do not be fearful of a permanent ostomy. In my opinion, there is significant up potential to having an ostomy when the alternative is ongoing intestinal distress or social embarrassment/worry of fecal incontinence or fecal accidents.
- Karen -
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:58 pm

HI and welcome,

Maybe consider daily enemas. Some people on this board have had great success with it and we do have a few experts on the subject. Type in daily enemas in the search box.

Have you noticed if certain foods contribute to the problem? Cheese will bulk me up faster than anything else.

Me personally, I do have the bag and for me, it was the right decision.

All the best,

Lee

Edited to add, I think MIss Molly has given you some excellent advice. Said it all far better than I did.
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Jacques

NWgirl's 3-part blog on colostomies - Direct links

Postby Jacques » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:54 am

MissMolly wrote:... You can do a search of Belle's insightful blog on this forum where she writes on her decision making process and life with her permanent colostomy. I believe her writings are archived on this forum, titled "Colundrum of a permanent colostomy" or something similar. Her writing is a 3 part series and is an eloquent and personal narrative.

Perhaps someone on this forum who is technologically adept can find NWGirl's 3-part blog and provide a direct link?

Belle would love to know that her words and writing continue to help and aide others. The world lost a great person with Belle's passing...

Direct links:

"The Colostomy Conundrum | Part 1" - Belle Piazza, June 2012

"The Colostomy Conundrum | Part 2" - Belle Piazza, June 2012

"The Colostomy Conundrum | Part 3" - Belle Piazza, June 2012

FYI - The direct link to this current post is here:

https://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57535&p=453641&p=453641#p453641
Last edited by Jacques on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brownnurse

Postby brownnurse » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:51 am

Thank you so much, I re-read and re-read Belle, what a legacy, I was crying and yet hopeful that there is always light.

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:51 pm

I have chronic constipation and have gotten so backed up that I finally passed a bm the size of a baseball! A doctor at the walk in clinic paid more attention to my plight than a GP or my onc and had me take Colace (generic). I started with 3 a day until my bm was the consistency of peanut butter and then went to 2 a day for the rest of my life. The only thing that bugs me is that it causes gas that escapes without notice. Thankfully, it's just air and no odor.

It's inexpensive and has given me back hours a day that I spent trying to pass stool. Doctor said it's safe to take daily, just make sure it the stool softener and NOT the laxative.

Ron might jump in. He has extensive kidney and other damage from enemas which led to another med and another and another which has ruined his life.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”