Exploring HIPEC Surgery and How to Choose A Surgeon

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
inorganic8

Exploring HIPEC Surgery and How to Choose A Surgeon

Postby inorganic8 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:08 am

Good morning all,

I hope you are all having as good a day as you can. My husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 CRC about 2 months ago. He has metastases to his omentum and peritoneum. He is 42 years old and otherwise in good health. He has completed 3 rounds of Folfirinox and is tolerating them reasonably well. Blood work is still good. We are very interested in getting some opinions on HIPEC so I'm trying to decide where to take him. These are my options:

1. Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa Florida - this one is closest to home and there is a surgeon that does HIPEC for peritoneal mesothelioma, but not for CRC.
2. UM Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center - I see one surgeon on their website that does HIPEC.
3. Cancer Treatment Centers of America, Philadelphia - It's a long way from home, but they have a Peritoneal Surface Malignancy program and seem to have extensive experience with CRC.
4. Wake Forrest - A long way from home, but they have well published and respected surgeons who seem to have lots of HIPEC experience.

Please share with me any thoughts or experiences you have with these locations, or others.

One more thing I am worried about. I understand that chemo can seriously suppress the immune system. There are lots of people with colds and flus in airports and on planes. Any ideas on how to best protect my husband when exposed to the germy public?
Wife to wonderful man with CRC
Stage IV Diagnosis 1/27/17, Mets to Liver, Omentum, Peri
KRAS Mutation, G12, MSS
Folfirinox 2/8/17, completed 9 rounds
Follow-Up PET 4/13/17 - Very encouraging. Definite shrinkage and 2/3 liver mets resolved.
Follow-Up PET 6/13/17 - Very encouraging. Even more shrinkage.
Folfiri 6/14/17

Lee

Re: Exploring HIPEC Surgery and How to Choose A Surgeon

Postby Lee » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:30 pm

inorganic8 wrote:One more thing I am worried about. I understand that chemo can seriously suppress the immune system. There are lots of people with colds and flus in airports and on planes. Any ideas on how to best protect my husband when exposed to the germy public?

Don't have any real answer regarding HIPEC or choosing a surgeon except maybe consider 2 surgeons doing the surgery at Moffitt at the same time. One surgeon for HIPEC, colon rectal surgeon for primary tumor.

Butt regarding colds & flu. Make sure your husband is up to date on flu shots. Make sure everyone at your house, washes there hands, use lots germ killing wipes on counters and around the house.

Hope others will come along with expert advice regarding HIPEC surgery,

All the best,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 10 years and counting!

Jacques

HIPEC surgeons, and HIPEC topics on ColonTalk

Postby Jacques » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:08 am

To choose a surgeon for HIPEC you might want to have a look at the directory of the American Society for Peritoneal Surface Malignancies (ASPSM). There are several members in Florida and southeast USA:

ASPSM Directory
http://www.americansocietypsm.org/Directory.html

HIPEC topics on ColonTalk:
https://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53554&p=424674#p424674
DX(2012): RC
Stage II, T4 N0 M0 L0 PN1 H0 D0 P0 I1
LAR
MSI: not tested
Chimio-radiothérapie
Chimiothérapie adjuvante : capécitabine + oxaliplatine
CEA < 1.0
----
Info links:
Create Your Signature
How to Select a Surgeon
List of Forum Features