NIH / Trump Budget Proposal

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Maddielolo

NIH / Trump Budget Proposal

Postby Maddielolo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Politics aside (I don't post about politics and don't want to here - this is not about the budget overall), I believe the current budget proposal re: NIH and overall science funding should be unacceptable to all, but especially all of us. Slashing NIH funding could have devastating effects to cancer research, and anyone who has been to NIH or knows people that work there, knows they do great, important work... and saves lives as we know all to well. I urge everyone as convenient to reach out to their elected federal officials. Congress will appropriate, so hopefully this doesn't move forward as recommended by the Administration. A budget represents priorities.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... a5d46140ee

gfpiv

Re: NIH / Trump Budget Proposal

Postby gfpiv » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi Maddie, always good to see you active on the board and (presumably) doing well!

I certainly agree with your concern regarding proposed reduction in NIH and cancer research funding. I'll try to leave politics out of this, but I must say this negates much of the optimism I felt when VP Biden briefly put a spotlight on NIH funding and a "cancer moonshot" last year. I've reached out to my state representatives recently on this, though in my particular state they're already fully on board with maintaining or increasing NIH/cancer/research funding. I would certainly encourage others to make their views know to their representatives (on this issue, or others important to them)...enough voices can make a difference.

P.S. Because this is a non-political thread, I won't mention any concerns I may also have regarding pre-existing conditions, lapses and health insurance premiums under the ACA vs the proposed replacement. :wink: I just hope that whatever the result is, it doesn't add more angst to the families already facing the huge challenge of cancer.

-Chip
Chip
DX stage IV CC Jan '10, numerous unresectable liver mets
FOLFOX + Avastin Feb-Jul '10
Colon resection, HAI install Aug '10
Systemic FOLFIRI and hepatic FUDR Dec'10-May'12
Chemo break May'12-pres (tumors calcified & stable, knock on wood)
Billiary bypass surgery and SBRT on pesky liver met in 2015

CRguy

Re: NIH / Trump Budget Proposal

Postby CRguy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:11 am

While I would SERIOUSLY ... and SIGNIFICANTLY ...
LOVE to get into a political discussion ...
in the current "environment" .. it would be UGE .. Just UGE :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ANYTIME some political asshole cuts health care / research funding .... TIME for revolt.

We pay these folks to govern and fund a collective which benefits us all.... FROM OUR TAX DOLLARS !

When they don't = time for revolt.

Recently our President ... NO ... the CClub president ... NOT .. well whatever :shock:
was at Call On Congress where the exact message IS .... ==>>> "Talk to your representatives" !!!!

It should be on everybody's agenda who can be there.

Yes I live in Canada

Yes my ancestor :an early American lawyer and statesman, as well as a Founding Father of the United States. He served as the first mayor of New Haven, Connecticut, and served on the Committee of Five that drafted the Declaration of Independence, and was also a representative and senator in the new republic. He is the only person to have signed all four great state papers of the United States: the Continental Association, the Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution. ... check Wikipedia

YES he would be rolling over in his grave .. even if he did not have a twitter account
twitter is for .... twits :shock: ??? Right ???
YEAH works for me

BUTT .. NO politicks hear .. eh !!!! :oops:

JMO
CR
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”