Ischemic colitis like symptoms last night and today

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Ischemic colitis like symptoms last night and today

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:56 am

I had the ischemic colitis symptoms last night minus the blood and didn't sleep well because of cramping, burning pain in my shoulder and my temperature went to 100.5F. Last night horrible gut wrenching cramping, bloating, pressure , I felt like I was going to pass out on the toilet, also vomit, sweating. Today, I feel really hot, am doing liquids for now, cramping pain, bloating,and nausea. My GI said it's not ischemic colitis without the bleeding and I want to avoid the ER unless there's blood, I vomit bile like the last time or my temperature gets really high. I found out from my family doctor's office that my liver enzyme blood work was normal so it's not gallbladder related. My GI said if there's no blood then it's not ischemic colitis. If I called his office they would just say to go to the ER. We're leaving for Toronto next Wednesday and will be gone for 5 days so I don't want to end up in the hospital.
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

MissMolly

Re: Ischemic colitis like symptoms last night and today

Postby MissMolly » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:43 am

Darknessembraced:
It seems as though you are dealing with the reality of trying to live one's best life with a chronic and ongoing health issue for which medicine cannot offer a reliable cure or fix. Believe me, I can empathize with the frustration of living with compromised health.

A number of your symptoms and GI distress are similar to those experienced by individuals with Chron's disease and ulcerative colitis. Have you considered seeking a similar support forum as is the Colon Talk for inflammatory bowel disease (often referred to as IBD)? You might find camaraderie and ideas for symptom management from like-individuals with Chron's disease and ulcerative colitis and like inflammatory bowel disease individuals.

For me, living with chronic illness requires developing tools for mentally coping with compromised health. I seek relief in any number of ways and means: swimming in a warmed therapy pool as both physical and mental therapy and comfort; practicing yoga - the poses and postures provide a means of massage for the intestines and helps mobilize adhesions and scar tissue; diversional techniques - watching a NetFlix DVD; working on a needlepoint or knitting project; reading a novel and escaping to new places in the words of an author; walking - getting outside and exploring the world around me; reading prayer and affirmations, time for quiet reflection.

Maybe meeting with a psychologist who specializes in working with individuals with chronic health issues would be beneficial. It is helpful to have a trusted other to confide in and talk to about our health concerns and developing ways to emotionally cope with a body that has changed through illness/surgery.

MD Junction.com and Healing Well.com both have on-line forums for Chron's disease and ulcerative colitis, collectively labeled as inflammatory bowel disease. I think you would find some people with like circumstances to your own on one or both of these forums and you would receive the reassurance that you need for coping as best as you can.
- Karen -
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Re: Ischemic colitis like symptoms last night and today

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:51 am

Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions Karen!*hugs* My tests were normal so my GI says IBS. I know these symptoms aren't IBS. I am a member of a facebook group for bowel disorders. Yes dealing with chronic conditions is very taxing mentally. I also deal with asthma, allergies and sinusitis. I do read often, watch netflix, go on message boards. I will have to look to see if they have therapy pools here. My GI says that my ischemic colitis was caused by my colon resection surgery. I'm young to have it. I wish my surgeon had told me that these after effects could happen. I knew bowels would change with having a peace cut out but I was told it would get better after a year. I had my surgery in 2014. I'm sorry you deal with chronic health issues as well!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”