Bright Red Blood - 1 week after resection

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
surfboar

Bright Red Blood - 1 week after resection

Postby surfboar » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:26 pm

I had approximately 12 inches of my descending colon removed a week ago. Operation went well and I was out of the hospital in 3 days. First bowel movement and gas within about 3 hours of getting to the hospital room after recovery. For the past 6 days, I have had slightly larger and firmer stool each day with it being fairly gravely and black at first and progressing to a more normal brown/tan color. Today however, I have been going a lot. Probably 10 times. The last few times there were tinges of red blood. Then the last bowel movement, there was a a bunch of bright red blood in the water.

Is this normal? I have a call in to the surgeon's office but haven't heard back. I have some mild cramping feelings around my anus but no pain. Also, no fever.

I do have some internal hemmoroids and I wonder if I have irritated them with the frequent pooping? Or maybe it is the site where they joined the two sections of colon together. :cry:

Utwo

Re: Bright Red Blood - 1 week after resection

Postby Utwo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:23 pm

If you have your temperature of pain escalating, go to the Emergency Department of the same hospital where you had your surgery (if it's doable from financial point of view).
58 yo male at diagnosis: T1bN0M0, 0/15 nodes, low grade/moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
03/2016 colonoscopy: 2 small polyps removed in left colon; CEA = 1.3
04/2016 colonoscopy: caecum sessile 3.5 cm polyp piecemeal removed with kind of clear margins
05/2016 "prophylactic" laparoscopic right hemicolectomy - bleeding, leak, infection
06/2017 CT scan, colonoscopy OK; CEA = 1.6
A lot of funny stuff discovered by CT scans in liver, kidney, lungs, arteries, gallbladder, lymph node, pancreas

surfboar

Postby surfboar » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:21 pm

Utwo,

Thanks for the reply. There is no pain and no fever, just a teaspoon or so of blood when I poop. I spoke with the after-hours surgeon and they said the same thing you did. He thought it sounded like hemoroids bleeding but to go to the ER if there was pain and/or fever.

Otherwise, I need to go back to the hospital (2 hours away) to have a scope to look at what is up.

surfboar

Postby surfboar » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:47 am

So I did end up in the ER after the blood in the stool continued. At the ER, all the bloodwork was normal and the CT scan showed everything was ok with the surgery site..... no leaks, no abcess etc. Since my hemoglobin levels were ok, they sent me home to follow up with my surgeon. Instructions are to come back if the bleeding starts to come between bowel movements or there is a fever. The working theory is that I irritated or tore something with my first round of solid stool and straining.

This morning, the bleeding has stopped. So far so good.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”