Ileostomy Reversal Log - One Week at a time

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
AussieAssCancer

Ileostomy Reversal Log - One Week at a time

Postby AussieAssCancer » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:18 am

G'day everyone, I thought I'd start a new thread rather than continuing to update the other one, so that's it's easier to find for new people who find themselves in the same and want to search for what to expect from their reversal. I know there are already some really good ones but I s'pose you can never have too much info.

I've been at home for two weeks now and all the advice I've been given from you guys about measuring results in weeks etc and that every week gets easier.

Diet wise:

This last week I decided to put the new piping through its paces.

It started with sharing some chicken nuggets from McDonalds with my daughter. I felt certain that they would trigger some sort of reaction but nothing.

Next we had dumplings for dinner. Very rich flavored and some were pan fried so a bit oily. Again, nothing.

My mate took me out for lunch for a belated birthday and I had a chicken schnitzel with a pepper sauce a pint of beer to wash it down. Not even a peep. That afternoon I had a few more beers with the work crew and then finished the night off with massman beef for dinner. It was delicious. Rich, melt in your mouth beef with the right amount of oil and heat. Slept like a baby and nothing untoward the following day.

On Saturday night we had friends over for dinner and we cooked paella with a beautiful chicken stock, and fried chorizo that was really quite spicy. I had two helpings and was more than happy to pay for my sins the following day it was that good. Again, nothing.

For lunch today I went all out and had two Indian curries for lunch. Neither of them were particularly spicy but they still had a bit of a kick to them. As I type this, other than a few niggles in my stomach (which was from my surgical consult today - see below), completely uneventful.

Get that man a stool:

There's no doubt that I'm experiencing some clustering but fortunately it seems to either be first thing in the morning or at night, which bodes well for my return to work.

I haven't experienced diarrhea since my first couple of days at home and I would have thought that my meals this week would bring me unstuck but as I said above, not so much as a hint of Delhi belly.

I've found that my stools are getting bigger each week and today I pinched off an almost normal sized loaf.

I haven't had any Imodium for over a week now and while the urge comes on pretty quickly sometimes, I've never felt that I'm going to soil myself, and I am often able to hold a couple of said urges off and then do a mass evacuation.

So at the moment I really need to work on the clustering, which I think can be addressed by consciously drinking more water, and adding some fiber.

Walking wounded:

I'm walking between 2km and 5km each day. I'm still tired after longer walks but other than that, I'm not really hampered in terms of getting around.

Is that a bullet-wound?

My wound is still about the same size in diameter but it is getting shallower.

I went to a post-op clinic today and was expecting to see my surgeon but was greeted by one of the younger trainee surgeons. He took the dressing off and poked and prodded me and I could tell he looked concerned. He mentioned a 'fistula' and that he would have to keep an eye on me and that he wanted my surgeon to have a look at it.

My surgeon came in and had a look at the wound and basically shook his head, explaining to the trainee that the wound was meant to look that way because it was healing by secondary intention. Fistula my ass.

My surgeon was most happy with things and told me that although it was still open and weeping a tiny bit, in a week or so it would all of a sudden dry out and then 'suck itself closed'. He said that other than lifting things I could do whatever exercise I wanted and encouraged me to get back in the ocean (something I dearly missed while I had my bag) as it would help it heal.

He was really great and I was particularly impressed that he asked my wife if she had any questions as well.

He sent me on my way and said that if I was coping so we'll diet and stool wise this early, that things would likely go back to 'almost normal' for me which was reassuring to hear.

Anyways, so that's where we stand at 2 weeks (and a few days) post-op. I have to admit that I was dreading what would happen having read some horror stories and even if this is as good as it gets, then I can easily live with it. The fact that it is only going to get better gives me considerable peace of mind.

I suppose I just wanted to post some positive news, particularly because there are a couple of people who are due for their reversal pretty soon and are a bit apprehensive about it, just like I was.

Keep being awesome guys (and gals), and any questions, just shoot.

Geoff
Dx Oct '15 w/ Stage 3c RC/ CEA 8
Nov '15 - Jan '16: 3x FOLFOX and 5wks Chemoradiation w/ Xeloda
March '16: ULAR w/ temp ileostomy
Complete pathological response incl 0/12 nodes
May - Aug '16: 9x FOLFOX (dropped Oxaliplatin for final Rd due to neuropathy)
Clear CT scans in April ‘16 (NED), Dec ‘16, Aug ‘17, Feb ‘18, March ‘19, Feb ‘20
Feb '17: Ileostomy reversed
CEA Post Surgery: ALWAYS 2

Blog: kickingrectalcancerintheassblog
https://kickingrectalcancerintheassblog.wordpress.com/

Maggie Nell

Re: Ileostomy Reversal Log - One Week at a time

Postby Maggie Nell » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:42 am

Come off it, Geoff! :roll:

You're a lightweight......get some proper tucker into ya!

Where's the Chiko roll, fried dimmies, maggot pack and two Wendy's hotdogs chased
by an Ouzo and coke? :mrgreen:

All ragging aside: there is a lot to be said for having Zen over the sphincter when there's
hammering on the door. Here's to your skid-mark free future.
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

AussieAssCancer

Postby AussieAssCancer » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:05 am

HAHAHA Maggie! Brutal.

Next time I see a Chiko roll I'll grab one and let you know. You're on your own with the ouzo though. That shit is rank :evil:
Clear CT scans in April ‘16 (NED), Dec ‘16, Aug ‘17, Feb ‘18, March ‘19, Feb ‘20

Swirdfish

Postby Swirdfish » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:12 am

That's awesome, hope I have it this easy. My last folfox is tomorrow, was cancelled last week due to a high fever temp which put me in ER. Doctors still unsure of what it was. Meh can't wait to get the reversal should be end of month.

Good luck and sounds great
06/2016 Went in for colonoscopy came out with a tumor. Age 35
12cm from verge at junction. Rectal cancer.
Clinical stage T3 NO MO
Temp illestomy
Completed 5FU and Radiation
LAR surgery planned 13 Oct 2016
Completed ULAR surgery 11-10-2016.
0/22 nodes
pT3 N0 M0 R1
Stage 2A

Pathology reviewed and changed
ypT3 N0 M0 R0

Started folfox 21-11-2016
5-4-17 NED
Reversal 12-4-17

AussieAssCancer

Postby AussieAssCancer » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:26 am

Swirdfish - I hope you do too! All the best for your final FOLFOX! It's a great feeling to be done. I'll be thinking of you :D

Marylandmaniac

Postby Marylandmaniac » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:15 am

Thank you Geoff!!! Your post makes me hopeful. I am meeting with surgeon the end of this month and will get my reversal on the books most likely towards the end of April. I have been worried because of all the issues I read about. My hope is I will be more like you. I have only had about 10 inches of colon removed and I still have my rectum for the most part so hopefully that will help.

Thanks for posting and I hope you will update now and then. Best wishes
Rene
DX 6/29/16 7 cm tumor, 10 cm fr av
CT scan ab,MRI abdomen - 9mm spot on liver,CT scan of chest lungs clear
Special staging MRI - clinical staging stage 3b - T3N2M0 (unless spot proves to be met)
8/11 PET scan - spot lit up not nodes
8/16 Port in, 8/17 liver microwave abltn - spot gone
8/23 6 rds FOLFOX started
PET scan 10-13 43% red of tumor and no mets shown
Exam tumor greatly reduced. Surgery 12-14-16.
Clear margins, 7 out of 13 nodes positive. Tumor 2.1 cm
Kras wild, MMS, not MSI. 6 more rds FOLFOX

AussieAssCancer

Postby AussieAssCancer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:50 am

Well here I am 7 weeks out from being put back together and butt for a stronger than usual dose of 'man-flu' with a side of conjunctivitis, life is pretty good.

Wound wise, I'm back to lifting my 3yo daughter up and generally being able to be a pest of a husband/dad again. I went for my first swim the other week and it was glorious. I had a bodysurf for a solid 40 minutes catching some fun little shorebreaks and the only twinge was when I went over the falls on one of the larger ones. That'll teach me I guess.

The wound itself is nothing more than a moist scab about the size of an Australian 5c piece (a Dime sized coin for my American friends). I still have a dressing on it simply to protect my shirts but each day it gets smaller and there is no pain or pulling sensation at the wound site like there was from my original resection scar.

Once I shake this cold I'm planning on getting back into running with an aim to be fit and ready to go through with a fundraising effort I've been thinking of during the month of June (more on that later).

Poop-wise, and I know that this is what some of you are interested in more than ever, particularly given the recent posts of late (been casually lurking but not posting). In short, I'd have to say that things are pretty much normal. Some wonderful people on this group told me to measure improvement by weeks, rather than days, and it's sage advice.

I am eating anything I want, when I want. The only things that have caused any 'issues' have been some buffalo wings and a really rich sauce. The former I think was more because I had been so busy I'd skipped breakfast and then was stuck in court all lunch so I missed it too. The wings, although delicious, were essentially the first thing in my stomach, other than multiple coffees, and it's fair to say that there's perhaps a reason buffalo wings aren't on the breakfast menu. The rich sauce was very buttery and delicious and it had the same effect on my wife so perhaps I shouldn't claim that one at all.

I generally have cereal for breakfast, followed by a coffee when I get to work. For lunch I normally have a sub with meat and salad or a sandwich. For dinner it's either meat and veggies, thai takeaway, a salad, or stir fry.

I am only having an Imodium after a loose movement and that seems to keep everything on the straight and narrow.

Most importantly, I have noticed a decrease in clustering. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, rather that it is not as frequent, and most importantly, nowhere near as painful as it used to be. On a good day, I use the can a couple of times to drop off some average sized turds. Certainly not as big as they used to be but much larger than when I first started. Those visits are generally of a night time and so don't interrupt me at work. On a bad day, I'll probably go 5 or so times for some smaller, much thinner stools.

I have been consciously trying to hold on for as long as possible in the hope that the smaller poos merge together, sort of like the Power Rangers to form one formidable colon loaf. It seems to be working.

I am yet to soil myself, and to be honest, have never really felt like I was close to. The only times I feel at risk of same is after a few beers, or soft drink and the gas builds up. That said, the other night I let out a hefty fart, only to be admonished by my wife. My little girl on the other hand thought it was hilarious and gave me a gigly high-five. I put that down to kogel-like exercises which I performed almost religiously in the months leading up to my reversal, and intermittently for the duration of having my ileostomy.

Anyways, I hope this gives some hope to those that have recently had their reversals, or are having theirs soon. I know that no two situations are alike and that I had a lot of factors in my favour for a good result: Young, otherwise healthy, nil adverse reactions to radiation etc. That said, I also have some of the factors against me: ULAR as opposed to LAR, ileostomy for almost a year etc.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to send me a direct message, or email me: geoffakidd@gmail.com.

Other than that, have my bloods on Wednesday and see Oncologist on Thursday so have the usual anxiety re same. During my last consult I saw that my CEA was c3 (it was 8 at diagnosis) and when I raised with my oncologist that it seemed towards the high end of 'normal' he wasn't remotely concerned about it and said that the most important thing was that it has remained the same. Maybe I'm one of those people who have a naturally higher CEA, notwithstanding that I don't smoke. Anyways, I confirmed that the pathology lab the hospital uses considers 0-5 normal (without any regard for smokers) so I suppose as long as I continue at the same level, all will be well.

Anyways, that was a bit longer than I expected.

Be kind to each other, and your colons :)

Swirdfish

Postby Swirdfish » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:44 am

Wow I read your story and what u mention sounds sssooo good. My reversal is now just under 24hrs away, and seems that we are both similar in regards to our operation. I hope it is as easy as you say :lol:

I hope to be out within a day because it's a long weekend here and I want to enjoy it. Maybe even a little fishing out on the boat if my Butt behaves. If not the boys will have to look away while I drop one over the side.

Did you do Imodium straight away or did you do the wait and watch approach lol.
Clinical stage T3 NO MO
Temp illestomy
0/22 nodes
pT3 N0 M0 R1
Stage 2A

ypT3 N0 M0 R0

5-4-17 NED
Reversal 12-4-17

AussieAssCancer

Postby AussieAssCancer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:41 am

Good luck Swirdfish!!! Fingers crossed things go smoothly for you too.

In regards the Imodium, I took a fair few of them the first couple days home because things happened pretty suddenly and I think it's your body being in shock to be honest.

As much as I hate being a dampener on anyone's parade, getting out on a boat may be a tad of a stretch. Your bowels won't be the problem, rather the hole/cut on your stomach...

Once again though, all the very very best! Can't wait to hear about your first proper colon loaf :D

AussieAssCancer

Postby AussieAssCancer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:45 am

Marylandmaniac wrote:Thank you Geoff!!! Your post makes me hopeful. I am meeting with surgeon the end of this month and will get my reversal on the books most likely towards the end of April. I have been worried because of all the issues I read about. My hope is I will be more like you. I have only had about 10 inches of colon removed and I still have my rectum for the most part so hopefully that will help.

Thanks for posting and I hope you will update now and then. Best wishes
Rene

Most welcome Rene. As you can see it continues to get better. From what I've read, the fact that you've kept your original rectum bodes well for you.

Fingers crossed for a smooth reversal :D

JudeD59

Postby JudeD59 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:07 pm

So happy that your recovery from your reversal is going so well! I hope things just continue to get better and better for you.

While I'm not where I want to be yet, some things have improved a lot since those early days. During that first month or two, my bottom was insanely sore from all the clustering. Now, even though I still make multiple trips to the bathroom, I only need cream for tenderness on the rare occasion. And I don't have that terrible cramping and rectal spasms I had early on anymore either. I used to feel like I had to poop pretty much all day long and now I just have the feeling when I actually have to go.

I agree with you strongly about the kegel exercises to strengthen the sphincter before and after reversal. I believe they helped me a lot. I also agree about waiting to go as long as you can to train your new "holding tank" to hold more before forcing you to empty. I think that has made a big difference for me, too. At a little over a year, I don't have clustering with tiny pebbles coming out over 20 visits like I did. It's more of a normal bowel movement, just 5, 6, 7 times a day and it's only the unpredictability that is a problem. I've started taking fiber supplements to try to consolidate those into maybe 2 or 3 movements at the same general time every day. Fingers crossed that it works.

I pretty much eat what I want, too, because I kept track of what I was eating and saw no difference between baked cod on pasta (bland) and sausage and peppers. The only things that make things empty out in a hurry for me seem to be tomato sauce and chocolate, but I eat them anyway when I want them. I'm willing to camp out near the toilet in order to enjoy pizza or a Kit Kat bar. :wink:

I hope I didn't discourage or worry anyone approaching reversal with my posts. I have never regretted my reversal especially because I had a rough time with my ileostomy. I'm very happy to have that gone because it didn't work well for me (torn skin and dehydration plus constant leaks) although I know it's worked well for many others. Many things have improved since my reversal, it's just predictability I'm trying to work on now. I'll just keep experimenting with fiber supplements and meds until I have a routine I can live with. :)

Congrats again on your progress and keep enjoying life. Your spirit and gusto are contagious!

Thanks,
Judy
56 yrs old, wife, mother to 4 daughters
RC Stage II T3N0M0 DX April 2, 2015
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
Xeloda and radiation finished 06/15/15- CEA 242
CEA right before surgery 81
LAR performed 8/12/15 Temporary ileostomy
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
PET scan 11-4-15 All clear
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Folfox stopped due to bad reaction
Reversal 2/17/16
CEA 2/3/16 1.7
CEA 3/31/16 1.3
CT Scan 4/12/16 All Clear
Port removed 4/21/16
CEA 5/24/17 1.4

AussieAssCancer

Postby AussieAssCancer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:01 am

G'day again. Saw oncologist today and not even a healthy dose of man-flu could throw a spammer in the works. CEA dropped down to 2 and el doctorè was happy as Larry.

Suggested I have my next scan in 6mths based on everything going so well so far but managed to snavel a referral for a CT before I see him again in July.

I have to say I had a fair bit of anxiety about this checkup for some reason and in the excitement of hearing that my CEA had actually gone down, I forgot to put pressure on him to yank my port out hahaha. Oh well, there's always next time LOL

Swirdfish

Postby Swirdfish » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:09 pm

Reversal is done!!! Port is gone. Had my first bowel movement last night and I was so happy. I called the nurse right away to come check it out. Was like an explosion. Anyway discharge today hopefully they want me to digest some light food before home time.

Not to keen on my hole in my belly. Creeps me out when they have their tweasers in there replacing the gause daily. Hate it.

Up every couple hrs during the night feeling like I needed to go but only small bits came out. Lots of gas,I've never been so gassy but I maybe because of the clear fluid diet.

Anyway this I can live with. Let's try out the solids. I want to go home.
Clinical stage T3 NO MO
Temp illestomy
0/22 nodes
pT3 N0 M0 R1
Stage 2A

ypT3 N0 M0 R0

5-4-17 NED
Reversal 12-4-17

AussieAssCancer

Postby AussieAssCancer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Swirdfish - WAHOOOO!!!! Great news. Here's to a speedy discharge

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”