New Member : pleural thickening question

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Marian83

New Member : pleural thickening question

Postby Marian83 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:37 am

Hi,

I'm new to this site and joined as I have been told something similar following my 3 year CT scan. I was also stage 3.
Could I ask, what the pleural thickening was due to?
My Oncologist thinks mine may be post inflammatory following a chest infection I didn't know about, but I am a bit worried :\

Lee

Re: New Member : pleural thickening question

Postby Lee » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:54 pm

HI and welcome,

I can't really answer your question. Bumping this back to the top in hopes that others can read this and maybe have an answer.

Have you ever had a PET scan? Maybe something to consider if you are concerned about a possible recurrence. For what it's worth, most recurrences tend to show up within the first 2 yrs, so at 3 years, it's probably not cancer.

Hope this helps, keep us posted,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:42 pm

Hey Marian83,
Welcome aboard

We moved your post here so you would get your own discussion topic,
as the other topic was very old and all the members are no longer posting here to reply.

The pleural thickening is something which may be seen in any process involving the thoracic cavity.
My father had it with mesothelioma, and underwent pleurodesis and thoracentesis (="pleurocentesis"/ thoracocentesis)
I had a lung met from CRC and had no pleural thickening / pleurodesis or thoracentesis.

Make sure your docs keep up with following up on this.
Get an explanation you understand and are comfortable with.

Best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Marian83

Postby Marian83 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:07 am

Hello and thank you so much for your quick replies.

I have had PET scans in the past, but I changed Oncologists and the new one prefers CTs unless PETs are necessary. He did say he would perform one if I was worried, but he said twice that he does not think it is necessary and that the thickening should clear on its own by the next scan in 6 months. The report stated 'No evidence of disease. Mild bilateral pleural thickening, statistically likely to be post inflammatory. Neoplasia is part of the differential, but more like to be post inflammatory.'

I guess I was waiting for this 3 year scan and hoping it would be completely fine so I could start to think about having children. As the Oncologist said that 90 percent of the risk of recurrence is within the first 3 years.

I'm sorry if I am rambling!

Thank you again for your responses.

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:30 am

Hi Marian,

First of all I know how much stress a little something out of the ordinary on CTs can cause. Of course, after a cancer diagnoses we tend to think the worst and why not? The prime reason for follow up scans is to check for cancer. I have never had a PET scan, my onc/surgeon preferred CT scans.

I think that you should focus on the NED as reported and trust your onc. Doctors who read the scans typically know what to look out for and will report everything...if there was any doubt or concern they would not report NED.

On one CT, I had bladder thickening noted on the report. My GP referred me to a urologist just to follow up (my onc and colorectal surgeon were not concerned) and it turned out to be nothing. It must have resolved itself because it was never reported on again in future CTs.

Best wishes
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

Marian83

Postby Marian83 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:14 am

Thank you Michelle x

I do know deep down you are right. I think partly it may have been due to the fact that my Onc. took what seemed like 5 minutes to tell me that there was no evidence of cancer and started off asking if I was well, how I was keeping and whether I'd had a chest infection. I think maybe that build up to telling me triggered off some anxiety.

I've also had scares in the past. I've had my ovaries light up on PET scans and been told by a gynaecologist that it is not normal and then subsequently been told by an Onc that it is normal in premenopausal females!

I am so glad I joined this site, rather than just browsing posts.

Am grateful for the replies that have helped eased some anxiety and if anyone has anything else to add please do.

Lots of love and healing. X

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:48 pm

For what it's worth, I too was about 3 yrs out when a Cat scan noted a couple of swollen nymph nodes in my stomach area. I was concerned, butt my Onc stressed to me she was not concerned and I was not to worry about it. Guess I was doing great other wise. Felt confident, those swollen nodes were probably the result of some infection my body was fighting off. Would repeat Cat scan in 6 month and if still there, I would be getting a PET scan.

6 months later, those swollen nodes were gone and were never noted again.

We have a right to worry about things ESPECIALLY after getting a cancer diagnoses, butt it probably is bests at times to follow are Dr.(s) orders.

All the best,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Marian83

Postby Marian83 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:08 pm

Hi Lee,

The points you raise do make me feel better.

I suppose also, sometimes these little hitches give a little kick again to try maintain the healthiest lifestyle one can.

My Onc is in his 70s I believe so he definitely has a lot of experience!

Thanks for your input.

Best wishes

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”