PET CT results

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
searchingforanswers!
Facebook Username: Victoria.conlaund

PET CT results

Postby searchingforanswers! » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:34 pm

Hi new here but wondered if you can help shed any light for me!
My husband had a PET CT a week ago it showed a "suspicious area" in his sigmoid colon of an FDG uptake 4.6 (yellow). ?tumour/polyp. He is to have a sigmoidoscopy next week. What can we expect next week? If they suspect it is infancy the dreaded cancer can they tell us there and then?
Please tell me your thoughts I understand you aren't medically trained etc - I'm a nurse myself and so quite realistic that the uptake is abnormal but I'm going out my mind here!
Thank you in advance!

stu

Re: PET CT results

Postby stu » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:13 am

Hi ,
We have a different protocol over her but as soon as they saw something they were happy to discuss this with my mum . They did say they would need the biopsy results to confirm but from their experience it looked pretty likely.
It's great your getting prepared , it makes it much easier on the patient too.
Take care,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:26 am

Sorry, misread.
Last edited by jhocno197 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:30 pm

If that is the only place in his body that lit up, then I would certainly hang on to hope that this is Stage 1 - 3 and he has many years left or even a cure.

The gastro who did my original colonoscopy told me he'd been doing this for 14 years and had only seen one tumor like mine that was NOT cancer. Before I was awake, he'd already called a surgeon, gotten me an appointment and they'd set up CT scans and surgery for 5 days later.

I'd want a colonoscopy, tho, so the whole colon could be viewed.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:08 am

searchingforanswers! wrote:Hi new here but wondered if you can help shed any light for me!
My husband had a PET CT a week ago it showed a "suspicious area" in his sigmoid colon of an FDG uptake 4.6 (yellow). ?tumour/polyp. He is to have a sigmoidoscopy next week. What can we expect next week? If they suspect it is infancy the dreaded cancer can they tell us there and then?
Please tell me your thoughts I understand you aren't medically trained etc - I'm a nurse myself and so quite realistic that the uptake is abnormal but I'm going out my mind here!
Thank you in advance!

Like you note, we're not medically trained, but here's what I can tell you from personal experience and reading info.
If they find a polyp, they will remove it unless for some reason they cannot (i.e. it's flat and hard to remove, etc.). If they can remove all of it cleanly, then even if it's pre-cancerous or cancerous, that's a very good thing. If they find a tumor, they will take a biopsy for testing, mark the tumor and schedule surgery to remove the tumor.

The biopsy would tell whether it was benign, cancerous or pre-cancerous. However, most GI doctors have enough experience to be able to tell if what they are seeing is cancer or not. Not that this is always 100%. My father had a colonoscopy and they thought he had cancer. They did a biopsy and scheduled surgery, but the biopsy came back negative. :)

So take some deep breaths, and try to sit tight until you know for sure. While hearing "suspicious" is scary, if they catch something before it can start or even very early, that's a good thing. It may not feel like it, but it is.

Keep us posted, and I hope some of this info helps.

Hugs and Prayers,
Tracy
DX 3/4/2016 Colon Cancer; age 46 Mom of then 4-yr-old
Stage IIIB: T3N1M0
3/31/16 Surgery
4 to 10/2016: Xeloda Monotherapy
CEA: 10/16 0.56, 1/17 0.54
CT CLEAR: 3/6/17; 4/17/18; 4/16/19
NED 3 years
“If I can help somebody as I walk along, then my living shall not be in vain.”

searchingforanswers!
Facebook Username: Victoria.conlaund

Postby searchingforanswers! » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:16 pm

Thank you so much for your replies. This waiting game is horrendous!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”