New member needs advice !

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
altermc

New member needs advice !

Postby altermc » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:10 am

Hi,
A mass was detected in my colon ( colon-distal sigmoid). I contacted a surgeon and he recommended a robotic laparoscopic low anterior resection of the recto sigmoid colon. I understand that the doctor with the help a machine is going to cut and take away the infected part of the colon and join the healthy parts together by using staples (titanium). I also understand that the titanium staples used to join the parts are going to be there permanently.

The question is do the staples cause infection or pain afterwards!!! I 'm scared and very anxious.
Any one would like to share his/her experiences, please.
:idea:

WarriorSpouse

Re: New member needs advice !

Postby WarriorSpouse » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:03 am

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. The titanium staple is a standard medical device that is used during the resection procedure. I have not read or heard of any issues specifically related to the titanium item (device) itself. Like most items approved for use in the U.S., the FDA has approved it for its intended purpose and there have been medical trials prior to its use... They also monitor (via regulation) any adverse effects from the use of drugs and devices that can be researched on the FDA's website.

My guess is that any chance of infection exists in any surgery and not specific to this device alone. All surgeons will provide proper follow-up to the surgery to ensure proper healing and use of the device post surgery. They monitor things very closely and will probably have you on an antibiotic as a prophylactic measure for infection following the surgery.

As in all cases, seek advice from a major cancer center to confirm what many of us encounter on this journey. You will find that the search bar under the top left "Quick Links" link will allow you to see what others have said about this subject in the past and a major cancer center will give you comfort in the process and journey ahead.

Best wishes and thoughts as you move forward.
WS
D/H 47 years old, 10/2014, Stage IV M/CRC, nodes 12/15, para-aortic, 5 cm sigmoid resection, positive Virchow. KRAS mut, MSS, Highly Differentiated, Lynch Neg, 5FU/LV and Avastin 1 YR (Oxi for 5 months), Zeloda/Bev since 01/2016. 02/2019 recurrence para-nodes, back to 5FU/LV Oxy/Bev. It is working again. "...Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other."-Walter Elliot

SEWHAPPY

Postby SEWHAPPY » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:14 am

Welcome! I am 3 months out from laparoscopic resection of the sigmoid colon. I am 100% healed and my plumbing works better than ever. Walk as soon as possible in the hospital- it helps your bowels wake back up.

Good luck! Laurie
Female age 51.
CC diagnosed 10/13/16 at first colonoscopy.
Lap colon resection 11/21/16, removed ovary & fallopian tube.
T4N0M0, stage IIC.
Lynch negative.
Power port installed 12/19/16.
12 rounds FOLFOX done 6/16/17.

Marylandmaniac

Postby Marylandmaniac » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:39 pm

There are no nerves in the colon so I don't think the staples would cause any pain. I remember watching on the tv screen my surgeon tattoo my colon before surgery and was amazed I could feel nothing. I had surgery in Dec and mine ended up being open because my tumor was in a tough spot to get out. I had surgery on a Wednesday and was home by Saturday. Walk, walk and walk. I would get up each day and do a little more than last time.
DX 6/29/16 7 cm tumor, 10 cm fr av
CT scan ab,MRI abdomen - 9mm spot on liver,CT scan of chest lungs clear
Special staging MRI - clinical staging stage 3b - T3N2M0 (unless spot proves to be met)
8/11 PET scan - spot lit up not nodes
8/16 Port in, 8/17 liver microwave abltn - spot gone
8/23 6 rds FOLFOX started
PET scan 10-13 43% red of tumor and no mets shown
Exam tumor greatly reduced. Surgery 12-14-16.
Clear margins, 7 out of 13 nodes positive. Tumor 2.1 cm
Kras wild, MMS, not MSI. 6 more rds FOLFOX

altermc

Postby altermc » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:09 pm

Thank you all for your kind words and explaining your experiences. I 'm scheduled for the surgery on 3/3 to remove the mass (1.2 cm tumor) from the sigmoid colon area. The mass showed up during a routine colonoscopy on 2/6. Biopsies were taken and it came negative. However, both the gastroenterologist and surgeon thinks that it can lead to cancer or cancer may be hidden in the mass and is better to take it out ASAP.

Thank you and God bless you all. Please Keep me in your prayers.
AM

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:58 pm

I hope your surgery goes well!*hugs* My tumor was 5.8cm and it was at the junction of the sigmoid and rectum. I had an open surgery in 2014 and half half of my sigmoid and half of my rectum removed. I had no problems with infection in the internal staples nor in the ones holding my incision closed.(They were later removed) I didn't need chemo and have been in remission since surgery.
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

altermc

Postby altermc » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:56 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences, hugs and best wishes.
Keep well.

pdd

Postby pdd » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:48 pm

altermc wrote:Thank you all for your kind words and explaining your experiences. I 'm scheduled for the surgery on 3/3 to remove the mass (1.2 cm tumor) from the sigmoid colon area. The mass showed up during a routine colonoscopy on 2/6. Biopsies were taken and it came negative. However, both the gastroenterologist and surgeon thinks that it can lead to cancer or cancer may be hidden in the mass and is better to take it out ASAP.

Thank you and God bless you all. Please Keep me in your prayers.
AM

Hi altermc

My husband is in the same position as you. Exactly same! He has his surgery scheduled on 3/3 and colonoscopy biopsy came out negative. Both the gastroenterologist and surgeon said the cancer might be hidden beneath the larger polyp. So better to do them surgically removed asap. We keep you in prayers hope all goes well with you. Will you updated too about my husband.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”