Colon cancer and lower back pain

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
star68

Colon cancer and lower back pain

Postby star68 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:46 am

Good afternoon everyone,

My mum has an infiltrative Adenocarcinoma of the colon stage III, no surgery because of the age (87 year old) palliative care treatment, her Radiotherapy suspended because she has lumbago, lower back pain and she's been in bed for three weeks now waiting to be seen by oncologist to re-evaluate treatment. She is on Tramadol and Paracetamol, but she still got pain. I called a physiotherapist and told her the situation to see what she can do for her to easy the pain, and she said that it's quite possible that the pain comes from the tumor as it grows the pain can be referred to the lower back triggering a lumbago crisis. Her GP never said anything like that, he diagnosed her with lumbago.
Has anyone ever experienced bad lower back pain lumbago type with colon cancer. no surgery just palliative care. Now we have to go back to the oncologist to re-evaluate the situation because she cannot have radiotherapy again.

Last December she had a PET scan and they confirmed she didn't have metastasis, but now I am worried.

Thank you.

CatzinDJ

Re: Colon cancer and lower back pain

Postby CatzinDJ » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:55 am

This may be too simple but is the back pain tied to constipation? I know my back hurt a lot near the ribs on the left side. I think now it was constipation.

Others will answer who are more knowledgeable.
53 & Female
DX: Rectal Cancer (RC) diagnosed in Thailand
Tumor Location: Rectum
Tumor type: invasive adenocarcinoma
Tumor size: 4 mm
Tumor grade: low grade
Baseline CEA value (4.46) 5/2016
CEA 6/2/2016 4.8
Lynch- Negative.
LAR 7/13/2016 in Seatle, Wa
Home 7/18/2016.
CEA 12/9/2016 2.8
CEA 6/8/2017 5.6
Colonoscopy and Cat scan June 2017 NED
CEA 3/2018 2.9
TB latent recently diagnosed.

PainInTheAss

Re: Colon cancer and lower back pain

Postby PainInTheAss » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:48 am

Just Googling it, lumbago IS lower back pain whether it comes from the tumor or the radiation. If it's from the tumor, the radiation should bring relief over time as the tumor shrinks.

If it's from the radiation, you could ask about a more focused radioation like Gamma knife. Normal chemo rad radiates the entire pelvis. One lady ended up with a crack in her tailbone from the radiation and had severe pain, so it's possible, but not from just a few sessions I wouldn't think. My tumor and the radiation did not affect my back.
47yo single mom of 4 (24, 21, 18, 16) at Dx
6/13 - RC T4b IIIc 5LNs on PET CEA 5.4
8/13 - Finish chemorad
10/13 - APR/hyst+ovaries/perm colostomy 2/12 nodes+
6/14 - Finish Xelox 6 rds
1/15 - CT clear CEA 0.2
10/15 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.7
4/16 - CT clear
10/16 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.6
5/17 - PET clear? Follow up MRI to verify inflammation

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”