Mum's APR on Friday. Any advice?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mtipte
Facebook Username: mario tipte

Mum's APR on Friday. Any advice?

Postby mtipte » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:41 pm

Hey all.

I am a bit worried as my mum will go through Abdominoperineal Resection to remove her rectum and lymph nodes this Friday.

Since chemorad finished, I've been giving her some supplements (raw not pills as I am afraid of preservants,etc) curcumin ( from organic turmeric) in juicing + graviola + noni + camu camu+ cat's claw (herbs from Peru ). Do you think I should stop giving her the supplements the day before surgery? Surgeon said nothing about it.

Any further advice fom those who had the same surgery are more than welcome. Your prayers please! This forum has been close to my heart since the first time I googled it and joined it. Lots of helpful advice and above all hope and companionship.

Regards.

Mario
Last edited by mtipte on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Mum 60 y/o
dx 09/16 RC III CEA 9
Chemo/rad 28 from 10/16 till 12/16
Xeloda
multiple lymph nodes
Adenocarcinoma low grade invasive
Now 2000 mg Xeloda for 2 weeks as maint. before surg.
24/01/17 CEA 4,9
APR surgery permanent colostomy :( 24/03/17
3/26 nodes involved -LVI - clean margins
Staged after surgery: T3N1Mx
Infection due to bladder problems. Slow recovery.
CEA 1.7 :)
Adj. Chemo Xelox 6 rounds 29/04/17
After round 3 CT Scans Clear 15/07

God is faithful. Only Jesus.

KElizabeth
Facebook Username: KElizabeth

Re: Mum's APR on Friday. Any advice?

Postby KElizabeth » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:46 pm

I was told to stop supplements at least a week before my liver surgery. Some supplements may affect coagulation or could get in the way of healing. Your mums doctor should know everything you are giving her as a supplement too. It's important so that he or she can be informed when prescribing treatment or medication that may interact with the supplements you are giving.
Female age 39- ,2 teens.
Colon Cancer - DX March 2013
Age 34 at DX - Stage III B
Resection surgery -May 2013
FOLFOX - June, 2013 to Sept, 2013
5FU plus leukavorin Sept, 2013 to Dec, 2013
METs liver and lungs discovered Sept, 2015
KRAS - MSS
FOLFIRI plus Avastin - Sept, 2015 - July 2017
Durvalumab and Cediranib Sept 2017 Dec 17
FOLFOX with desensitization protocol - current

Soccermom2boys

Postby Soccermom2boys » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:46 am

Hi mtipte--

I am fourteen months out from the same surgery as your mom is about to have. Definitely good for her physical and mental well being that she walk the hospital corridors as often as possible for her recovery. Start small and build up--I would try to get up and walking every two to three hours and build up my distance.

It is absolutely a one day at a time if not one moment at a time type of recovery--it is life altering physically and mentally so remind her of that and the recovery will come, just not to expect it to come quickly is all. I would literally measure my recovery every morning when I ever so slowly and carefully climbed out of bed, did I at least feel a slight bit better than the day before?

Has she been in contact with a WOC nurse for her permanent ostomy? If not will there be a WOC nurse to visit her in the hospital? If not please do your best to get that coverage for her so she can have a good education on her new lifestyle. I also highly recommend visiting/joining the UOAA forum for all things ostomies--another kind, caring, and empathetic group of people like on here who will absolutely help get your mother and you through the transition to life with a permanent ostomy.

Those are the basics, but honestly sometimes that's enough. It can get so bogged down with "do this or don't do that" that it can be overwhelming, and it will be overwhelming initially so try to simplify it where you can. As a mom myself, my heart is just melting at the thought of you being so sweet and concerned for your mom during all of this--lucky her (I know, the irony, calling someone with cancer lucky, but she is blessed to have such a devoted and caring son).

Keep us posted on her progress, we love updates here and are always just a post away if you have questions and/or concerns while she recovers.
8/3/15 Went in with a hemorrhoid, came out with a tumor
8/12/15 Biopsy from colonoscopy confirms RC (45 yrs old--zero family history!)
9/21 - 10/29/15 chemorad 28 tx (with Xeloda)
12/17/15 APR with perm colostomy
Pathology report stages me as IIIA (T2N1M0)--1/15 LN detects cancer
2/3/16 chemo port inserted
2/8-6/2/16 8 rounds of Folfox

PainInTheAss

Postby PainInTheAss » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:21 am

Soccermom2boys wrote:Hi mtipte--

I am fourteen months out from the same surgery as your mom is about to have. Definitely good for her physical and mental well being that she walk the hospital corridors as often as possible for her recovery. Start small and build up--I would try to get up and walking every two to three hours and build up my distance.

It is absolutely a one day at a time if not one moment at a time type of recovery--it is life altering physically and mentally so remind her of that and the recovery will come, just not to expect it to come quickly is all. I would literally measure my recovery every morning when I ever so slowly and carefully climbed out of bed, did I at least feel a slight bit better than the day before?

Has she been in contact with a WOC nurse for her permanent ostomy? If not will there be a WOC nurse to visit her in the hospital? If not please do your best to get that coverage for her so she can have a good education on her new lifestyle. I also highly recommend visiting/joining the UOAA forum for all things ostomies--another kind, caring, and empathetic group of people like on here who will absolutely help get your mother and you through the transition to life with a permanent ostomy.

Those are the basics, but honestly sometimes that's enough. It can get so bogged down with "do this or don't do that" that it can be overwhelming, and it will be overwhelming initially so try to simplify it where you can. As a mom myself, my heart is just melting at the thought of you being so sweet and concerned for your mom during all of this--lucky her (I know, the irony, calling someone with cancer lucky, but she is blessed to have such a devoted and caring son).

Keep us posted on her progress, we love updates here and are always just a post away if you have questions and/or concerns while she recovers.

Yes, yes, yes... This was the hardest part of treatment for me... Time slowed to a crawl... I'm so glad that's behind me, but it was hour by hour for a while just because you have to be so patient.

One word of advice... After she's back on solid foods and home, protein, protein, protein... It helps heal. I had no appetite, so I had to make every bite count and dry foods like even meat sounded disgusting. I ate stoeffers Mac and cheese just about every day, cottage cheese and fruit, Greek yogurt, peanut butter and chocolate (I kept this by my bed for snacks), and carnation instant breakfast with protein powder. I could only eat a bite or two of anything at a time and lost weight really fast. Again, be patient and don't force her to eat if she doesn't want to. I gained all the weight back later.
47yo single mom of 4 (24, 21, 18, 16) at Dx
6/13 - RC T4b IIIc 5LNs on PET CEA 5.4
8/13 - Finish chemorad
10/13 - APR/hyst+ovaries/perm colostomy 2/12 nodes+
6/14 - Finish Xelox 6 rds
1/15 - CT clear CEA 0.2
10/15 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.7
4/16 - CT clear
10/16 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.6
5/17 - PET clear? Follow up MRI to verify inflammation

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:47 am

As others have said, be sure she walks, walks, walks those hospital halls. Really does help in the healing process. Also make sure she continues walking at home.

Make sure she bring comfortable padded slippers and an long bathrobe that is easy to get and out of. I recommend the robes with a tie at waist vs a zip up robe. Chances are she will be in a hospital gown with an open back and hooked up to a few IV's. For me that wrap around gown was easy to get off and on.

Computer or IPod with music and movies to pass the time.

All the best with up coming surgery,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:35 am

I hope your mother's surgery goes well!*hugs* Walking really does help with gas and to get the bowels moving again. Hugging a pillow when we coughs or sneezes will help as well. When I had bad cramping while in the hospital nurses would bring heated sheets that I would put over top of my stomach on top of the other sheets. They really helped. Lip balm was nice because my lips would get really dry. My ipod, magazines and my kindle filled with lots of books. I had a word search book too.
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

mtipte

Postby mtipte » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:30 am

Thanks for your kind reply. I really appreciate it. She's been down as she's very sensitive, but I know she's strong and a Christian warrior. Well, this has been a roller coaster for all members in my family.

We are leaving home for hospital now. I'll ask the surgeon about the WOC nurse and join UOAA forum, I know I will find lots of advice there like here. Making things simple seems to be a great idea as I've been overwhelmed reading many books about c.... since last September when she was diagnosed.

Thanks again.

God bless you all!

Mario
Dear Mum 60 y/o
dx 09/16 RC III CEA 9
Xeloda
multiple lymph nodes
24/01/17 CEA 4,9

mtipte

Postby mtipte » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:38 am

Lee wrote:As others have said, be sure she walks, walks, walks those hospital halls. Really does help in the healing process. Also make sure she continues walking at home.

Make sure she bring comfortable padded slippers and an long bathrobe that is easy to get and out of. I recommend the robes with a tie at waist vs a zip up robe. Chances are she will be in a hospital gown with an open back and hooked up to a few IV's. For me that wrap around gown was easy to get off and on.

Computer or IPod with music and movies to pass the time.

All the best with up coming surgery,

Lee

Thanks Lee. Just a question. When can you walk, I mean how many days after surgery? I suppose it depends.

Blessings.

Mario
Dear Mum 60 y/o
dx 09/16 RC III CEA 9
Xeloda
multiple lymph nodes
24/01/17 CEA 4,9

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:53 am

mtipte wrote:[
Thanks Lee. Just a question. When can you walk, I mean how many days after surgery? I suppose it depends.

Mario

I was up walking the same day as surgery. I had my surgery early in the morn. That afternoon I was walking with 4 people around me. I think a lot depends on how alert you are. Clearly if you are out of it, walking is not going to happen that 1st day. I didn't go very far, butt I did make it out of my room.

Some of the best time to go walking is late at night or early morn when most people are asleep. This is when the staff is the least busiest.

All the best with your mom's surgery.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

mtipte

Postby mtipte » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:35 am

DarknessEmbraced wrote:I hope your mother's surgery goes well!*hugs* Walking really does help with gas and to get the bowels moving again. Hugging a pillow when we coughs or sneezes will help as well. When I had bad cramping while in the hospital nurses would bring heated sheets that I would put over top of my stomach on top of the other sheets. They really helped. Lip balm was nice because my lips would get really dry. My ipod, magazines and my kindle filled with lots of books. I had a word search book too.

Thanks dear DarknessEmbraced.

I'm writing down all the tips.

:)
Dear Mum 60 y/o
dx 09/16 RC III CEA 9
Xeloda
multiple lymph nodes
24/01/17 CEA 4,9

mtipte

Postby mtipte » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:38 am

PainInTheAss wrote:

Yes, yes, yes... This was the hardest part of treatment for me... Time slowed to a crawl... I'm so glad that's behind me, but it was hour by hour for a while just because you have to be so patient.

One word of advice... After she's back on solid foods and home, protein, protein, protein... It helps heal. I had no appetite, so I had to make every bite count and dry foods like even meat sounded disgusting. I ate stoeffers Mac and cheese just about every day, cottage cheese and fruit, Greek yogurt, peanut butter and chocolate (I kept this by my bed for snacks), and carnation instant breakfast with protein powder. I could only eat a bite or two of anything at a time and lost weight really fast. Again, be patient and don't force her to eat if she doesn't want to. I gained all the weight back later.

Ok. Thanks. More protein then, she's been eating lots of quinoa, spinach and eggs as she lost some pounds after chemoradiation.

Trying to be positive and praying a lot here.

Regards.
Dear Mum 60 y/o
dx 09/16 RC III CEA 9
Xeloda
multiple lymph nodes
24/01/17 CEA 4,9

mtipte

Postby mtipte » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:43 am

KElizabeth wrote:I was told to stop supplements at least a week before my liver surgery. Some supplements may affect coagulation or could get in the way of healing. Your mums doctor should know everything you are giving her as a supplement too. It's important so that he or she can be informed when prescribing treatment or medication that may interact with the supplements you are giving.

Yeah, the doctor knows about her having curcumin etc but they were not real supplements, I mean I've been preparing things with the real food cause in supplements they have doubled or tripled components in one pill. I'd rather use natural stuff without preservatives/additives (juicing, milkshakes with almond milk etc).

Thanks for your tips.

Regards.
Dear Mum 60 y/o
dx 09/16 RC III CEA 9
Xeloda
multiple lymph nodes
24/01/17 CEA 4,9

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”