Close Call in the OR

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BrownBagger

Close Call in the OR

Postby BrownBagger » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:03 pm

The original post about this went "poof," but I'm resurrecting it FYI and as a reminder that being knocked out for surgery is never a routine procedure.

I went into the Sloan-Kettering hospital in Manhattan for what was supposed to be my first of three radiation treatments (aka brachytherapy) for an inoperable tumor I have growing in my bronchial cavity. Unfortunately, once they put me under, my blood pressure started to plummet and they had a rough time getting it back up. My surgeon, Dr. Huang, told me afterward that they "were pumping a lot of pretty powerful stuff into you trying to get it to recover." I guess it worked, because I'm still here. I asked one of the anesthesiologists involved whether this was common, and he characterized it as "very rare." They seem relieved that I didn't croak on them, which I guess I can understand. Looks bad on the resume, among other things. I often wonder if I would have walked out of a lesser institution.

So, I'd been "intibated" for surgery and other procedures at least 13 times prior to this one, without any issues whatever. Why did this one go so wrong? I woke up in the ICU with cardiologists crawling all over me, pointing to a video monitor and muttering doctor-talk. They thought I had a heart defect that caused my heart valve to stick open open. Turns out, upon further analysis, that I'm alergic to Lisinopril, a common blood pressure med that I'd been taking for years (and through all 13 intibations), combined with dehydration. The reason it went bad this time is that my BP was running high at one point a couple months prior to this, so I asked my local onc to up my Lisinopril dosage, which he did. Obviously, I should have consulted a cardiologist instead of an oncologist for that. One thing I learned is that medication is nothing to mess around with. "Take as directed" is some of the best advice you'll get, and it's free. I've been put under four times since this incident, with no issues.

Anyway, I'm chilling in the ICU (instead of the morgue) and it happens to be the evening of the 7th game of the World Series. I quit watching TV when I was diagnosed (life's too short for that nonsense, IMO), and I haven't followed baseball for years. But I thought gee, might be a good game and I've got nothing else to do. Well, as we say in the Midwest, "What a game, hey!" Extra innings and the Cubs win the Series for the first time in over 100 years. I went to sleep that night, content, knowing that I almost died and missed this.

This is me the morning after the Cubs finally won the World Series.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

ANDRETEXAS

Re: Close Call in the OR

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:08 pm

So glad everything turned out well......could they not find anything else to attach to you? :)
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Jumper cables, maybe. This was actually the setup for an echocardiogram to rule out a heart problem, which it did.
Eric, 58
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

JDMNYC

Postby JDMNYC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:45 pm

Still glad to see you back :)
- Dx Stage IIIc rectal cancer: January 2015 (CEA 20)
- Chemo (Folfox): January - April 2015
- Chemo-Radiation (Xeloda): May - June 2015
- Surgery (LAR/temporary ileostomy): September 2015; 4/20 lymph nodes – no adjuvant chemo
- Reversal: December 2015
- Stage IV: August 2016 - Lung Mets
- Chemo (Xeloda) Started October 2016.
- CEA down; lung mets shrinking.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:38 pm

JDMNYC wrote:Still glad to see you back :)

Thanks. Me too!

I have a couple of funny ICU stories. Here's one:

I'm sitting there, minding my own business, when one of my surgeon's PAs comes in and says, very seriously, "Mr. BrownBagger, I see you're a drinker and I think you're nervous about not getting a drink this evening." OK. I didn't know whether to be insulted or amused, so I decided on the latter. "I'm going to give you a mild dose of Ativan so that we don't have a problem." OK. I'll take the sedation. Might help kill the boredom. Then I watched the game and hit the hay. The next morning she comes in and asks me how my night was. "Fine," I said, "except for those damn pink elephants over in the corner."

She was right about one thing: I was nervous, but not for lack of grog. The fact that I ALMOST DIED earlier that day did shake me up a bit.
Eric, 58

Maia

Postby Maia » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:55 pm

Eric, I saw this new post with this subject, from you, and *I* GOT TACHYCARDIA!!
"No again...!" did scream my brain.
Damn, man.
Pretty smile, BTW. : )

JDMNYC

Postby JDMNYC » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:21 pm

I don't know if you saw my note, but next time you're in there, especially if you're around for a few days, and you need some errands run or what have you, let me know. I'm only an hour away, and at MSK every two weeks at least anyway.

"I'm going to give you a mild dose of Ativan so that we don't have a problem." Correct response: "Excellent. And some scotch to wash it down?" 8)
- Surgery (LAR/temporary ileostomy): September 2015; 4/20 lymph nodes – no adjuvant chemo

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Pita

Postby Pita » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:30 pm

So happy that all is going well for you now 8) I did see your post that disappeared, glad you posted again. oxo
70yo Fem DX: 1/21/2016 RC Stage IV-Nodules lungs
MSS-Kras Wild-Lynch Synd Neg-Lung Biopsy 1/27/16-Port 2/19/16
MRI 7/7/16 Endometrial polyp found, watching LAR 7/19/16, No Ileostomy, Stage ypT3 N1
CT 11/7/16: Most mets stable,1 shrunk,1 new??
CEA Tests: 1/21/16=20, 12/22/16=5.3, 1/20/17=4.8, 2/15/17=6.2
9/20/16-1/24/17 Folfuri & Avastin
#10/10 Done
PET/CT 2/10/16-1/31/17=Some shrunk & growth to 2, Avastin failing ??? :evil:
2/21/17 Folfuri & Avastin

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:33 am

JDMNYC wrote:I don't know if you saw my note, but next time you're in there, especially if you're around for a few days, and you need some errands run or what have you, let me know. I'm only an hour away, and at MSK every two weeks at least anyway.

"I'm going to give you a mild dose of Ativan so that we don't have a problem." Correct response: "Excellent. And some scotch to wash it down?" 8)

Thanks, JD. Sorry I didn't respond to your PM. Rough time for me and I was distracted.

I've become pretty self-sufficient on my bi-monthly trips to Manhattan, but I do get my pre-consult scans done at Basking Ridge. If you're near there, let's get together for lunch or a cup of coffee, at least.
Eric, 58

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:00 am

BB

So glad you are OK, that is scary stuff. Bet you don't look at a routine procedure as being simple again. I know I wouldn't. So glad they were able to get to the underlying problem.

Take care of yourself,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

horizon

Postby horizon » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:51 pm

Good heavens. I'm glad you pulled through and at least have an explanation as to what happened!
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 12 years NED). Is this real life?

JDMNYC

Postby JDMNYC » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:23 am

BrownBagger wrote: I've become pretty self-sufficient on my bi-monthly trips to Manhattan, but I do get my pre-consult scans done at Basking Ridge. If you're near there, let's get together for lunch or a cup of coffee, at least.

Oh, I understand completely. Right now all I'm doing is Xeloda and I still fall on and off the map. Just didn't want you to forget that you have a local resource should you need one.

I do my scans in BR too. Let me know when you're down this way, and we'll grab a little lunch.

Stay well, my friend.

Jim

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”