90 year old MIL and Folfox side effects

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
fordodo
Facebook Username: cara Katzen shalowitz

90 year old MIL and Folfox side effects

Postby fordodo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:28 pm

My 90 year old mother in law bravely received her first infusion last Monday. Saturday night she went to the ER with blood in her stool. Later that night she vomited once. Doctors are saying the blood may have been from previous constipation and that the vomiting could have been from emotional stress. I'm LIVID that any medical team would be so dismissive!!! Shouldn't they be examining if she should/can continue on the Folfox? If you are a Folfox recipient did you ever experience either of these? Is there a chance that the treatment will not become harder as she continues on it if she does? So frustrated and stressed for her. Thanks for being the place I can vent (even if my last post was eaten)
cos

cbsmith

Re: 90 year old MIL and Folfox side effects

Postby cbsmith » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:54 am

If the bleeding has stopped and the vomiting has stopped and she is otherwise medically fine then the decision to continue FOLFOX would up to her and her oncologist. Hopefully she will be seeing the oncologist before her next treatment.

Everyone responds differently to chemo but for the most part the side effects build up and get worse as treatment goes on.

I did 12 rounds of FOLFOX and never had any bleeding issues and didn't vomit. The vomiting issue wouldn't concern me as much, many people end up sick after a chemo treatment.

It's really going to be up to your husbands family and your mother in law what they want to do, FOLFOX is going to be hard on a 90 year old person no matter what the oncologist does as far as dosage goes.
06/14-DX with FAP as 36yo Male
07/14-total colectomy, rectum removal, permanent ileostomy
08/14-DX Stage IIIC, KRAS mutant, MSS
09/14-04/15 - 12 rounds of FOLFOX
07/15-CT showed para-aortic lymph node, onc thght inflammation
10/15-DX Stage IV, CT lymph node tripled in size, 1 small lung met
11/15-FOLFIRI + Avastin
06/16-lymph node is stable, now have a 2nd lung met
01/16-lymph node is stable, lung mets grown 2mm. Still on FOLFIRI + Avastin
11/17 - no chemo since. Lung growth minimal, lymph node is stable

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:56 am

I once vomited "during" an infusion, we assumed it was due to the orange juice I drank while getting chemo. Never had any other issues. When you say blood in stools, a little blood or a lot of blood? By the fact she has colon cancer, there is bound to be some blood in stools.

Because of her age, I can only "assume" there could be a connection. As others have said in prior thread, giving this type of chemo to a 90 year old person is not the best. May be time to reconsider this type of chemo. What is the Onc saying?

Hope she's doing better soon.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Many people experience nausea & vomiting while on Folfox.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:00 pm

fordodo wrote:Shouldn't they be examining if she should/can continue on the Folfox?

The docs will check her bloodwork on her next infusion day before delivering chemo. They'll probably try different anti nausea meds @ infusion if this continues.
What some swear by on here is drinking lots of water a couple of days before & including infusion day for nausea = good hydration.

Want to mention we also have an ongoing thread "Wives of husbands with Stage IV Colon Freaking Cancer" in addition to the main forum. You might find it helpful just for posting if you don't want to necessarily start a new topic/thread...or is good for extra support. It is not just for wives.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18704&p=451237&hilit=wives+of+husbands#p451237

If the docs think emotional stress could have caused her vomiting, & she is that anxious, then that needs to be addressed too, whether through additional support from family or friends or other means (meds). Agree it does sound somewhat dismissive.

Try to trust her doctors for now & be a source of comfort for your mil. I'm not @ all surprised she had a trip to the ER, but is unsettling to be sure. Let us know how she is doing.

Best Wishes
BS
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”