Need advice about interruption of Radiotherapy treatment

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
star68

Need advice about interruption of Radiotherapy treatment

Postby star68 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Good evening everyone,

My 87 year old mother started a course of Radiotherapy treatment to treat as palliative care an infiltrative Adenocarcinoma three weeks ago.
After the first seven days of treatment my mum was complaining of backache and ended up with a bad lumbago attack that kept her in bed up until now. She'has started walking a little bit but still not fit enough to continue with the treatment. At all times her Doctor was informed about her condition and he told us to wait a bit until she got better. The Doctor gave me an appointment for this morning just in case she was feeling better but when I rang this morning to informed him that my mum was still not well enough to go, the receptionist said her Doctor does no longer works there and her new Doctor will call me back.
When she finally rang me she said she gives her a couple of more days and if she doesn't come they will cancel the treatment and she will not longer be able to restart the treatment, even when she gets better. I told her that we are dealing with an 87 year old lady with a bad lumbago attack she is in bed most of the time she is getting better but very slowly, she must understand, but she said she understands but if she doesn't come in the next couple of days she will not be able to be treated again.
Is it right what the Doctor is saying? When you interrupt a course of radiotherapy for more than two weeks you cannot be treated again? I felt like a fool for not knowing what to say and she was very firm about her decision. Tomorrow I am going to the Ombudsman to report it but in the meantime I wonder if any of you have experienced the same.

Thank you in advance.

Eternal optimist

Re: Need advice about interruption of Radiotherapy treatment

Postby Eternal optimist » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:38 am

I'm dont know the specifics in terms of numbers, but radiotherapy is cumulative- it works because the treatments are delivered over time and the cells are not given a chance to recover before they get their next dose and are damaged again. For example at my hospital over christmas they schedule sessions so everyone has christmas day off, but have no longer than 2 or 3 days break.

On top of this there are limits on how much radiation can be delivered into healthy tissue without causing too much damage- people with recurrent disease are only given 2 rounds of radiotherapy, months and years apart, and no more.

My grandfather experienced a similarish situation a few years ago. He had throat cancer, and was offered high or lower dose radiotherapy and chose the lower dose as he was worried about side effects. It didn't work, and he hadnt realised when he was making his decision that he was not able to go back and have the treatment again at the higher dose.

I do think that the Dr needs to give you a full explanation of how they have made their decision, to make sure they are not making judgements about you mother except based on facts, and to put your mind at ease that she is recieving the best care.
Diagnosed age 34 in Feb 2015, sigmoid tumour & PALNs
CapOx Mar-Oct 15
Resection of colon and PALNs Dec 15 -T3a N2 M1a
Xeloda Apr- Nov 16
Dec 16 - PALN recurrence, Radiotherapy
Aug 17 - FDG uptake in para aortic and retro peritoneal nodes, peritoneum, ovary plus small nodues on lungs. Only enlarged PALNs and small lung nodules visible on CT, but possible spine mets seen.
Sept 17 Folfiri and Cetuximab
April 18 NED
July 18 -surgery to examine what turned out to be a benign peritoneal inclusion cyst

Lee

Re: Need advice about interruption of Radiotherapy treatment

Postby Lee » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:18 pm

star68 wrote:Good evening everyone,
My 87 year old mother started a course of Radiotherapy treatment to treat as palliative care

I wonder if the nurse who gave you her opinion was aware of your mom's current situation. I understand the importance or protocal of radiation, and I could be wrong here, butt I've been lead to believe in the past "palliative care has a lot more freedom than active cancer care".

Yes if nothing else, you and that new doctor need have an discussion on the upcoming care for your mom.

All the best,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”