My Stivarga streak has ended

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
JJ2212

My Stivarga streak has ended

Postby JJ2212 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:08 pm

So, after 26 cycles (months) on Stivarga, my good luck has ended. My last CT scan showed progression :cry:

I've had a crappy few months that can now be explained by cancer progression. What the docs suspected to be a pulmonary embolism turned out to be an enlarged lymph node blocking my middle right lung lobe, which is completely collapsed. The lymph nodes in my neck that lit up on my PET scan are no longer thought to be inflammation but are deemed to be mets. Stivarga managed to kill off my lower left lobe thingy that we'd been tracking for 2 years, but a new one popped up in my upper right lobe, with a couple more spots too small to measure.

My onc and his resident were sympathetic, but reminded me that my response to Stivarga had been exceptional. I was considered a rock star on the trial, knowing that the average progression-free response was around 3-4 months, whereas I had a good 2 years.

So, another go-round the roller coaster is about to begin. I have an appointment with the radiation oncologist on Wednesday to see what my options are for my lymph nodes causing collateral breathing issues. On e same day, I start FOLFIRI for the first time.

I'm doing OK but I have tons of questions about the best approach to take, and very little interest in doing reasearch. I know I need to be my own advocate, but radiation to the lungs scares the crap out of me and I feel like hiding my head in the sand. Silly me, I'm currently obsessing about wether or not I'll lose my hair.

Also, the timing sucks. I was leaving for an amazing 2-week trip to Hawaii with my favorite peeps in 10 days. I had to cancel the trip, turning what was to be an amazing time into a bummer for everyone involved.

So, there you have it. I'm left wondering if this the beginning of a downward spiral, or just another bump in the road.

Thanks for 'listening'.

Janie
Rectal cancer dx 04/13 @ 42, MSS, KRAS positive
T3N2M1 (1 lung met)
5 weeks xeloda+radiation finished 07/13
APR 9/13 (permanent colostomy), 27/31 nodes positive :-(
12 rounds of FOLFOX 04/14
Lung met growth 11/14
26 cycles Regorafenib (Stivarga) from 11/15 to 01/17
New lung met and chest/neck lymph nodes 01/17
1 cycle Folfiri

Maia

Re: My Stivarga streak has ended

Postby Maia » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:02 pm

So sorry to hear. Where are you treated, in Montreal? Do you know your MSS status?

Maia

Postby Maia » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:05 pm

You might have immunotherapy options. Like this trial
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT02554812

You can put Canada in the search box of the Clinical trial Finder in my signature.

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:20 pm

Janie,
please check out my post : BCCA POG program updated
and ask your docs if they are connected with this program or have access to it ?

Sending best wishes and posi-Vibes your way my friend
keep fighting the good fight !

CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

JJ2212

Postby JJ2212 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks Maia and CRguy. I'll look at those links before my next appointments.

I'm mss. My onc recommended I try FOLFIRI since it is the usual 2nd line of treatment and often a required step before going down the clinical trial route. Is that trur, or just BS on his part?
T3N2M1 (1 lung met)
Lung met growth 11/14
1 cycle Folfiri

Maia

Postby Maia » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:36 pm

JJ2212 wrote: Is that trur, or just BS on his part?

It is not BS because, yes, many trials (specially, those that are for chemotherapies) ask you to exhaust standard of care options first. BUT it is not true!! MANY (immunotherapy) trials are for people just diagnosed (I'll post one in a minute), others are for Stage I, II or III patients (who, obviously, had only on line of chemo) AND many clinical trials for stage IV admits patients who just had maybe 1 line of standard of care and consent on the trial. In fact, for immunotherapy to work, you NEED to have some remaining immune system, preferably some liver good function --all that is gone for many who had all chemo lines.

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:36 pm

I'm so sorry!*hugs* I hope your new treatment will help!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Lydia666

Re: My Stivarga streak has endedThelu

Postby Lydia666 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:45 pm

Janie, if you want to grab a drink with me, i am here.
Are you sure you can't go to hawaii? It's not that much of a delay.
All the best dear friend!
Oct 2012- thyroid cancer
June 19, 2015 Dx@39 yrs- CRC-T3N1M0
No vascular, no perineural invasion
Aug-Sept 2015- 28 rad/5FU
Oct 28, 2015- LAR- temp ileo, neg. nodes- 0/11
March 2016- 6 rounds Xeloda/positive CHEK2 mutation
August 2016- DCIS and decided post prophylactic double mastectomy
May 2018 - clean CT
Sept 2018-clean scope
Devastation, total shock- oct 2018, invasion of peri mets
Dec 20 - 2 round of folfox
Mom to 4 & 7 yrs kids - at least i brought them to this level of independence.

KElizabeth
Facebook Username: KElizabeth

Postby KElizabeth » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:47 pm

You may have a good response on Folfiri and maybe the devil you know could be no worse than the devil you don't.
Folfiri isn't the worst. I have tolerated it well enough to be employed full time and still cart my kids everywhere. I've had no hair anywhere for 17 months and I'm quite used to it now. I don't have to do hair stuff in the morning and have had baby soft skin without shaving. The worst of it is the diarrhea but it's not much worse than I had with Folfox. I guess I'm trying to say that trying folfiri and loosing your hair for a bit is not worse than cancer taking over your lymph system.
BTW,I found a really cool hat maker on Etsy. Let me know if you ever need the link.
Do you know if you are KRAS mutated or wild type?
I've had Avastin each cycle with folfiri and it has kicked some serious behind! I think if you are wild type they will give you erbitux before Avastin, but I could be wrong. I think both are very good at what they do.
Female age 39- ,2 teens.
Colon Cancer - DX March 2013
Age 34 at DX - Stage III B
Resection surgery -May 2013
FOLFOX - June, 2013 to Sept, 2013
5FU plus leukavorin Sept, 2013 to Dec, 2013
METs liver and lungs discovered Sept, 2015
KRAS - MSS
FOLFIRI plus Avastin - Sept, 2015 - July 2017
Durvalumab and Cediranib Sept 2017 Dec 17
FOLFOX with desensitization protocol - current

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:36 am

...So, there you have it. I'm left wondering if this the beginning of a downward spiral, or just another bump in the road.

It often depends on what we do. Often standard medical "actions" are doing nothing - waiting and watching, unfruitful searching for a trial, or going home empty handed from the dr. We don't really believe in any form of doing nothing.

I'm not a fan of chemo vacations. whether witting, unwitting or an oncologist's "I've got nothing more". Prolonged vacations, even short ones can rapidly lose ground in mCRC. We've seen it many times here. Some people have had slow growing mCRCmets or slow rising markers, but many are pretty fast, like markers doubling in 1-5 weeks even without inflammatory distortions.

From my perspective you have 2 ready treatment choices:
1. Folfiri + whatever alternative add-ons that have some experience that you can develop some confidence with
2. EXACT (celebrex + metronomic xeloda) + " " ...alternative add-ons " " "

The other thing that you can do is target and monitor more markers than standard clinical medicine, more like researchers and some alternative doctors. I've listed more commonly available lab panels and marker add-ons that are useful to us for mCRC. There are other markers that are far more specialized, pricey and tedious to get, like cytokines. We've used a variant of the second option to get highly consistent lab readings without much inflammatory distortion.

The most basic blood marker add-ons are probably LDH, ESR (sed, sedimentation rate), hsCRP and CA19-9. The first three panels are very inexpensive for the lab to run. These three are included in many custom "Chem23" or "Chem26" packages that could replace the common CMP package (roughly a Chem20) for nominal costs in some labs. I'm not kidding, a lot of people are dying because they are missing $25 - $100 worth of information in their blood tests, plus the incremental treatment costs. Our "incremental treatment costs" actually save us a lot of money.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

Maia

Postby Maia » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:12 am

rp1954 wrote:From my perspective you have 2 ready treatment choices:
1. Folfiri + whatever alternative add-ons that have some experience that you can develop some confidence with
2. EXACT (celebrex + metronomic xeloda) + " " ...alternative add-ons " " "

I agree, rp1954, of course. I just got tired of pointing out to Xeloda + Celecoxib (ADAPT) --since it's not a magic bullet, with spectacular results, people get the feeling that 'it doesn't work' (but the same is not said about things with such a modest benefit like Stivarga (when any) or Lonsurf--. Not everyone responds, but I wonder how many would benefit with slower progression or even same stability from trying ADAPT/XCEL, instead of chemo breaks OR when no option is left.
The science for metronomic dosing is there too --it's quite proven that re-visiting agents, at lower and continued doses *resensitize* to the already used chemos-- why don't try that?
And you also can add a chronomodulated dosing of Xeloda --why don't try that, for less side effects and more effectiveness, if at the end of the day one is taking the same maximum tolerated dose? Literature is also there.

And of course you also can do all the careful extra-labs monitoring that you do for your loved one, rp1954, and all those careful arranged supplements and off-labels. But you have to agree that that takes a time and understanding of chemistry that it results difficult for most people : )

I prefer to point people to immunotherapy trials these days (well, since years... but now results are more usual and people start to "believe" the science), since it's something becoming standard of care, that at least some oncologists start to see *not* as last resource.
Sorry for the mini rant. A close friend got bad results and I'm kind of down and angry today.

You DO have many paths to follow, Janie. The fact that *you* responded so well to a drug for which usually there is so little benefit (and so bad effects) is very encouraging! Where are you treated? Can you travel, inside Canada?

JJ2212

Postby JJ2212 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:52 pm

So I had my first FOLFIRI treatment today. It wasn't as fun as I expected ;-)

I usually just slept through FOLFOX infusions, but no such luck today. I has a small allergic reaction and we had to stop the infusion to get some benadryl going. It's a few hours later and I feel like I have a really bad hangover, without the party that comes before it.

Oh well. One down, who knows how many to go...

Janie
T3N2M1 (1 lung met)
Lung met growth 11/14
1 cycle Folfiri

Achilles Torn

Postby Achilles Torn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:11 pm

Hey Janie,

I might have missed it in your posts but are you getting Avastin (Bevicuzimab)? Or if you are KRAS wild Erbitux ?

You probably are but if not ask your Oncologist

Cheers
AT
Diagnosed as 40 yo Male. BC Canada. Sigmoid Colectomy Dec. 2016
Pathology T3N2bM1 19 of 24 Nodes Positive + tumour deposits
PET scan - Para-Aortic and Iliac Lymph node spread. Stage VI.
Moderately differentiated. MSS. KRAS/BRAF Wild.
Mutations: TP53, ERBB4, MLL3, PDCD1LG2, PRKDC, SMAD3
FOLFOX + Bevacizumab Commenced Jan 9/2017 PET Scan July 2017 - on maintenance 5FU/Bev every 2 weeks.
Progression after Covid19 induced break June 2020. Resume Maintenance chemo of Capecitabine and Bev

Lydia666

Postby Lydia666 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:38 pm

Well done, Janie! I am glad one is out of the way. What's the frequency of treatments? How many are they aiming for?

Keep us posted on the results.
Oct 2012- thyroid cancer
June 19, 2015 Dx@39 yrs- CRC-T3N1M0
No vascular, no perineural invasion
Aug-Sept 2015- 28 rad/5FU
Oct 28, 2015- LAR- temp ileo, neg. nodes- 0/11
March 2016- 6 rounds Xeloda/positive CHEK2 mutation
August 2016- DCIS and decided post prophylactic double mastectomy
May 2018 - clean CT
Sept 2018-clean scope
Devastation, total shock- oct 2018, invasion of peri mets
Dec 20 - 2 round of folfox
Mom to 4 & 7 yrs kids - at least i brought them to this level of independence.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”