Folfox-6 plus Avastin

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
MRVMAN
Facebook Username: Mrvman

Folfox-6 plus Avastin

Postby MRVMAN » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Greetings, everyone.
I'm new to the forum, new to the chemo treatment that will start this Valentine's Day.

I turned 50 this January, and thanks to a kidney stone passing the first week I was found to be anemic, which in turn led to colonoscopy which resulted in the discovery of a malignant tumor in the Cecum - the start of the large intestine, ascending, right before the small intestine joins it.
Adenocarcinoma with potential lymph nodes near its perimeter.
It's stage IVa due to a couple of defined spots found also on my liver. Helluva a birthday gift, right!

I've been reading up on side effects to anticipate, and [hopefully] learn of any potential ways to mitigate some of the effects like hand-foot cold syndrome. I read in another article that ingesting calcium and magnesium prior to the infusions might help.

I would appreciate your candid comments and suggestions as I, like all of you, take my first steps in combatting this cancer.
Last edited by MRVMAN on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnnClare

Re: Folfox-6 plus Avastin

Postby AnnClare » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Gosh, I'm sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us.

You'll find LOTS of great support and advice here. I'll toss my tips / experience into the ring, as I remember what it was like in the 'early days,' gobbling up any and all info I could.

- Drink LOTS of water. Staying hydrated before, during, and after infusions is important. I used to bring a HUGE Smart Water with me to infusion. Coconut water is also good, as are something called Nuun's Tabs (electrolyte tablets that fizz and dissolve in water. I ordered mine from iherb.com, but amazon carries them too).

- For cold sensitivity, I would ask my husband to grab cold stuff from the fridge & freezer, but sometimes I just said, "eff it", grabbed it myself and powered through. This will depend on exactly HOW sensitive to cold you are, as everyone is different.

- I don't know if nausea is concern for you (I HATE and REFUSE to be nauseous.) I let my onc know this and he had me on 5 anti-emetics (4 pre-infusion plus a Sancuso patch). They worked. I wasn't queasy at all.

- Rest when you need to. Don't feel that you have to do it all.

- Allow family & friends to help with anything that they offer to do. It's hard to swallow your pride, but understand that people WANT to do SOMETHING to help. Let them.

- Ask your onc about 'magic mouthwash.' I developed HORRIBLE mucositis after my final two treatments. If I'd had this, I might not have suffered so horribly. Baking soda & sea salt mixed in water is also good to use.

I"m sure others will chime in as well. Please know you are NOT alone - we're here to help get you through this unexpected time in your life.
You can do this!!!
42 yr. old female
Rectal cancer Stage 3C T3 N1 M0 - Sept 2015
28 rounds radiation w/Xeloda - Nov - Dec 2015
2/17/16 - Surgery to remove rectal tumor, lymph nodes (2/20+), ovaries & fallopian tubes, temp. ileostomy
3/28/16 - 9/26/16 -12 rounds FOLFOX w/full oxi
Ileo reversal 10/27/16; Port removed 12/1/16
Lung mets confirmed 2/6/17
March-May 2017 - brain mets; brain rad. 5/9-5/29/17

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:54 pm

Well, my wife received a very similar birthday present in June 2013. She had Mets to her liver and spleen, and she also did Folfox plus Avastin. We tried the Magnesium via oral capsules, I can't remember exactly how much off hand. I think it was twice the normal dose on the bottle twice a day. It may have helped but we can't be sure. Her oncologist, was part of a study where they gave it via IV, and they found it didn't really make much difference except to keep you in the infusion center longer. She ended up with some neuropathy but not really all that bad. Also her other side effects were pretty mild, very little nausea. This treatment resulted in her spleen Mets disappearing, and her liver Mets calsifying, they are still stable since then, and she did maintenance chemo with 5-FU, Leucovorin, and Avastin for about 18 months I think it is. Unfortunately some new Mets have shown up in her Abdomen. Irinotecan, Avastin and Erbitux together kept things stable for a while, but unfortunately of late they started to grow again. The liver and spleen are still unchanged, but we have run out of options for the abdominal Mets now. We are looking for a clinical trial. She is almost 4 years out now from diagnosis.

The thing is, get a handle on nausea right a way. There is a mental component to it, and if you think you are going to get sick from something, you definitely will. Make sure your nurse at the infusion center knows if you are starting to feel ill so they can make you more comfortable. You may find that you will get through this pretty well, and hopefully not develop further Mets.

Regards,

GrouseMan
Last edited by GrouseMan on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

MRVMAN
Facebook Username: Mrvman

Postby MRVMAN » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:25 am

Today's one week after my first infusion. I wore a pump for 2 days after that.
I noticed cold sensitivity a day after the infusion - my description to my wife was that it felt like eating 20 strong peppermint candies then drinking ice water. And the sensation went all the way down into my stomach.
My hands also felt a similar sensation when I unthinkingly washed then in cool water.
About 24 to 36 hours after the pump was removed I discovered the sensitivity diminished to nothing, and I've been alright thus far.

I hope this is a precursor of the [lower] intensity of this side effect in the coming infusions.

I'll continue posting updates on progress; my next chemo session will be March 6th.
Age 50 / male
DX: ColoRectal Cancer
Tumor Location: Cecum (ascending)
Tumor type: Adenocarcinoma
Tumor size: 4cm
Stage IVa
Positive lymph nodes: potential around perimeter of tumor.
Mets: 3 to 4 well defined spots on liver.
Radiation therapy (if any): Chemo
Chemotherapy (if any): Folfox-6 plus Avastin
Beginning: February 14, 2017
Anticipated last infusion: July 2017

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”