After rectal cancer, liver mets and local recurrence now 1 lung met - advice very welcome

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Ratepo

After rectal cancer, liver mets and local recurrence now 1 lung met - advice very welcome

Postby Ratepo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:28 pm

Well my father had liver mets, recurrence at rectum but now also has the one he didn't had yet: lung met.

Situation in short: September '16 ct-scan showed 5mm lung thing, however too small to state if it's a met. 5 months later new scan, cea rise (from 18 to 34, his cea is very sensitive) and it's now 'only' 11mm, but can't be anything else than a met.

They gonna perform a pet-scan to be sure it's the only active thing at the moment. He still has something in his lower pelvis which couldn't be removed at his operation October 2015, but that remains silent. At the moment his cancer doesn't seem too aggressive considering he has it for 4,5 years now although almost never been ned. He didn't have active therapy since operation, wait and see approach until things turn wrong. He feels good considering the circumstances and both colostomy and urostomy.

It seems the met is not in a very nice position (inner side of left lobe), however that's according to the onc who doesn't know as much about it as the radiologist or surgeon. After the pet-scan his situation will be discussed in the board and we'll have a new appointment.

I said rfa would perhaps be an option, but she said that wouldn't be. However I read now afterwards a lot of succesfull stories about rfa at lung mets. Other options being radiation, cyberknife and surgery or does anyone know other possibilities? Of course there are several chemo regimes he can try but we like to keep that on the shelf as long as possible. In my opinion I would prefer rfa or otherwise radiation (cyberknife a sort of radiation).

Any advice is highly appreciated!
Father dx 10/12 rectal 4a
11/12 3 liver mets resected
01/13 colostomy
07/13 scan: 1 liver met, op. failed: multiple discovered, start xelox
12/13 mets shrink (kras mut.)
01/14 liver op new hospital: 2 mets removed others disappeared
05/14 & 09/14 NED
01/15 CEA rise to 5
05/15 local reccurence - rad + Xeloda
10/15 op. failed unremovable mets lower pelvis

Maia

Re: After rectal cancer, liver mets and local recurrence now 1 lung met - advice very welcome

Postby Maia » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:22 pm

So sorry, Ratepo. You're dad is such a trooper. Are you in Neatherlands yet? Do you know the MS status of your dad --MSS or MSI?

Ratepo

Re: After rectal cancer, liver mets and local recurrence now 1 lung met - advice very welcome

Postby Ratepo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:08 am

It's MSS and he's also kras mutant, so actually shouldn't be the nicer tumour cells devastating his body....though his survival proves that doesn't say all!
Yes, from the Netherlands indeed.
Father dx 10/12 rectal 4a
11/12 3 liver mets resected
01/13 colostomy
07/13 scan: 1 liver met, op. failed: multiple discovered, start xelox
12/13 mets shrink (kras mut.)
01/14 liver op new hospital: 2 mets removed others disappeared
05/14 & 09/14 NED
01/15 CEA rise to 5
05/15 local reccurence - rad + Xeloda
10/15 op. failed unremovable mets lower pelvis

Maia

Postby Maia » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:45 am

What about something systemic but not chemo: immunotherapy, to try and take care of the pelvic situation too (or to add to RFA. Also, if in need some day, you have laser assisted lung surgery in Germany (search in this forum "Rolle" and "Ladas").
If you put Netherlands in the finder in my signature, you'll get 7 hits. The 1st, 2nd and 5th might be worth exploring.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”