Anti Colon Cancer diet is there such a thing?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
tisme1

Anti Colon Cancer diet is there such a thing?

Postby tisme1 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:32 pm

I have not been advised to eat certain foods. I don't tick all the boxes in order to get Colon cancer. I am being referred to a geneticists. In the mean time there are all these don't eats etc. I don't drink red wine hardly drink alcohol or eat red meat , don't smoke which are apparently all the triggers. Is there any special diet out there advised I wonder.

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Re: Anti Colon Cancer diet is there such a thing?

Postby dianetavegia » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:53 pm

http://www.mhbroughton.com/new_med_plan.htm

This is what I've tried to do for the last 8 years. I've not had any red meat (unless someone put it in some casserole at church and I didn't realize it).

Diane
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:45 pm

I guess it depends on what your goal is? You don't have a stoma so you are not so restricted in the foods you eat, and you are stage 3, so my guess is that you are (naturally) worried about a recurrence and are perhaps looking to diet to see if that can assist you. If I am wrong then I apologize in advance.
I think Diane's diet is a general one, that is not entirely focused specifically on cc, but on general good health, and this also happens to provide benefits for cc.
When I first got cc I adopted pretty much the same diet and called myself a pescatarian for a while.

The point is, as long as you are off chemo, to adopt a diet broad with as much colour (in vegetables and fruit) as you can to gain a large range of phytonutrients and antioxidants. Antioxidants are great, as they help stop dna damage and oxidation of your cells, which is where the start of mutation and cancer comes from. The phytonutrients are good as they provide a lot of beneficial compounds that are known to help reduce ones risk for cancer.

Exercise has been proven to increase your chances of reducing a recurrence, especially at the stage 3 level. Run a search on exercise and you will find a large number of discussions on this topic.
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

Green Tea

Postby Green Tea » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:50 pm

tisme1 wrote:,,,Is there any special diet out there advised I wonder.

Please take the advice of kiwiinoz and dianetavegia. A good diet matters. And so does a good exercise plan. Both of these should become part of your overall survivorship plan. They will make a big difference.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”