To Do Surgery or Not to Do Surgery?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
TrojanGirlie
Facebook Username: Emily Ochoa

To Do Surgery or Not to Do Surgery?

Postby TrojanGirlie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:53 pm

Hi,

My husband was diagnosed with Stage 3 rectal cancer last May. He began Xeloda and radiation and was planning to have surgery until they discovered it had spread to his liver, making it Stage 4 in September. Then he began FOLFIRI, Erbitux, and Irinotecan in October. He recently had an MRI done on his liver that showed the amount of tumors has decreased by 50%. Our oncologist encouraged us to reach out to the surgeon to see if surgery would now be an option. We were referred to the surgeon at Kaiser Permanente in North Hollywood and he told us that the right side of the liver was still completely covered in tumor, but the left side had a minor amount of tumors located all around the edge of the liver. He suggested complete removal of the right side of the liver and taking away the small tumors on the left side of the liver leaving a small amount. He said while the surgery can technically be completed, it would be extremely high risk, however there is a small possibility it might be curative. He also mentioned that we could continue more chemo and re-evaluate the situation at a later time. My husband is concerned that while he continues chemotherapy, even though he is showing a good response to FOLFIRI, the cancer might spread to the lungs and surgery would be completely ruled out as an option. We are seeking advice from anyone who has been in a similar experience. How likely is it that the cancer would spread elsewhere while doing the chemotherapy? Has anyone else had liver surgery? What is the recovery like? All advice is appreciated. Thank you
31 year old Husband DX Stage 3 rectal cancer - 5/16
Xeloda and Radiation (6 weeks) - 8/16
mets to liver, Stage 4 - 10/16
5FU-Erbitux-Irinotecan - 10/16-4/17
Keytruda and XELOX- 5/17-11/17
Keytruda and Xeloda- 11/17-now
Lynch Syndrome positive and MSI-high

Notyouravgbro

Re: To Do Surgery or Not to Do Surgery?

Postby Notyouravgbro » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:27 am

Have you looked into doing it in 2 stages? I have a similar situation and am in the middle of that now. I had a wedge resection and some ablations to the left side on 1/12 and we plan to remove the entire right lobe after 8 weeks (in mid March) it is 2 pretty tough surgeries back to back, but takes the high risk of liver failure down.
DX stage 4 Colon Cancer 7/15. Numerous liver mets.
FOLFOX 8/15-current
HAI pump scheduled for Jan 2016

stu

Postby stu » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:28 am

Hi,
My mother had 73%of her liver removed in 2010 and it has remained clear ever since. It was the biggest surgery to date . She was in hospital for two weeks . The hardest post op complication was fluid retention. After about a month she started making quicker progress . She was 69 at the time.
It was for her a window of opportunity she wanted to take . Five years later she had one small met in her lung which was quickly removed.
She was fully informed of the risks.
I wish him all the best with this difficult decision.
Kind regards
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

altermc

Postby altermc » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:30 am

Hi,
I am new to this forum. Today I had a colonoscopy and my doctor (GI) told me that I have a mass in the colon and it is cancerous. He took biopsies and the result of the biopsy would be known in 5-7 days. The biopsies may also spread the cancer to other organs thru blood (needle tracking). The doctor also ordered additional test like CT scan of the abdominal area (pancreas and others) and also CT scan of the chest. I m not very fond of CT scans. The radiation from the CT's also causes cancers.

I 'm in a shock mode and do not know what to do!!

Anyone in the forum has any experience with alternative treatment of colon and other type of cancers!!

Thank you and let us pray for one another.
:idea:

Green Tea

Postby Green Tea » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:21 am

altermc wrote:Hi,
I am new to this forum. Today I had a colonoscopy and my doctor (GI) told me that I have a mass in the colon and it is cancerous. He took biopsies and the result of the biopsy would be known in 5-7 days. The biopsies may also spread the cancer to other organs thru blood (needle tracking). The doctor also ordered additional test like CT scan of the abdominal area (pancreas and others) and also CT scan of the chest. I m not very fond of CT scans. The radiation from the CT's also causes cancers.

I 'm in a shock mode and do not know what to do!!

Anyone in the forum has any experience with alternative treatment of colon and other type of cancers!!

Thank you and let us pray for one another.

altermc - Welcome to the Forum. Since you are a newcomer here and might want to stay around to get feedback on your particular situation, there are two things I would suggest right now at the beginning:

1. Create a signature.
    You can create a signature block here that will give people the basic information on your situation. The information will appear at the bottom of every post that you make in the future and will be useful for people who are reading your post.

A link to the signature creation page is here

http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=signature

The kinds of things that you might want to put in your signature are listed in this post:

http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52681&p=421597#p421597

Once you create your signature you should update it each time you have additional, relevant information to add,

And here are some direct links to other Forum features that you might want to use in the future:

Forum features:
    http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50946&p=392504#p392504
  2. Post a NewTopic focused on your questions. You can put your own information and requests in a NewTopic so that everything that is posted in the topic thread is about you and not about others. To create a NewTopic that belongs only to you, click on the link below, put your introductory information there and Submit it after you have reviewed it for errors.

Direct link to NewTopic page:
    http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/posting.php?mode=post&f=1

Another way to get to the NewTopic page is to click on the icon that is found at the very top-left of the display of the forum titles. When you first enter the Forum you will see a list of topics, with the pinned topics displayed at the very top and current topics listed just below that. The New Topic icon is found just above and to the left of the first pinned article, "A letter from The Colon Club's President."

Here is a direct link to the first page of the Forum's Table of Contents. You can see the New Topic link after you click on the link below. Please note that you cannot see the NewTopic button if you are inside any of the posted messages themselves. When you are viewing message content, the only button you can see at that point in time is the PostReply button, but that button is not the button you want to use if you want to start your own personal topic. The PostReply button is only for replying to someone else's topic, not for starting your own topic.

Direct link to the Forum's Table of Contents page
    http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewforum.php?f=1

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”