32 and pathology report has me worried

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sajetto

32 and pathology report has me worried

Postby sajetto » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:02 pm

Hello everyone. I've been lurking here for a few days, and I feel embarrassed to post this considering what all of you have been through. However, Dr. Google isn't really helping me and I feel like you guys can shoot things straight to me.

Last year, I got really sick. I was admitted to the hospital 4 times, had 5 CT scans, several ultrasounds, and a HIDA scan until one of my gastro docs had the gallbladder taken out.

I thought things were fine...until the first week of this month. Now for the past two weeks, I have been waking up from a dead sleep with searing pain in my stomach. It feels as if the muscle is being ripped in half. This is also accompanied with nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. One of the 4 gastro docs I have, scheduled a colonoscopy for me.

I have no family history that I am aware of that points to colon cancer, however, my mother has severe Chron's disease along with a connective tissue disorder. The colonoscopy was last Wednesday. When it was over, my Dr. came in with a concerned look and told me that it wasn't Chron's or UC, but polyps. He proceeded to ask if I had any siblings and if so, I needed to make them aware of the situation. Since this was not at all what I was expecting, I was in shock and didn't think of any questions to ask. Now, I have tons of questions, but won't see him for another 2 weeks.

I'm only 32 with a 4 and 7 year old and a husband that works all the time so this information has me in a tailspin. This is what my pathology report has broken down:

Two 6 to 7 mm sessile serrated adenomas/ Hepatic Flexure: removed piecemeal using cold biopsy forceps

One 10 mm tubular adenoma/ Sigmoid/ removed with a hot snare

Now that I've read about sessile serrated polyps, I'm even more worried.

The paperwork says that return for another colonoscopy in 3 years. Is that early enough?

Without any family history how in the world did I get these??? I'm wondering if all the radiation from all the CT scans last year is to blame.

Does having this kind of adenoma mean anything significant?

Thanks so much for reading my ramblings. I understand that this could be much worse, and I am so thankful that it was found, but I don't know what I should expect or do to advocate for my care in the future.

weisssoccermom

Re: 32 and pathology report has me worried

Postby weisssoccermom » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:28 pm

sajetto,
Welcome to our forum and kudos to you for getting checked out and getting the scope done. Too many people want to hide their heads in the sand and avoid getting a scope at all costs.
While yes, it is not 'normal' for someone so young to be having polyps, be happy knowing that you got them removed before they could possibly turn cancerous.
The radiation isn't to blame....your body just is a good 'host' for developing polyps. In addition, just because you've never heard of other family members who have had polyps doesn't mean that some of your relatives (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.) haven't had a scope that showed polyps and then had them removed. Too often, doctors only worry about family members that actually have CANCER and forget about the family history of polyps. Have you actually asked each and every family member if a scope ever showed a benign polyp? In addition, know that approximately 75% of patients that are eventually diagnosed with colorectal cancer have NO family history....in other words, it's just bad luck!

Had any of your polyps been anything other than benign, the report would have stated it...so rest assured that there were no cancer cells detected and the pathologists would have done a very thorough job when they examined them. To answer your question about follow up time, yes....three years is considered perfectly normal for someone who had BENIGN polyps that were removed. You will likely find that because you have a history of polyps (even if you never have another one) that you will probably never go more than FIVE years between scopes. If, however, your next scope reveals one or more benign polyps, you will likely stay on a THREE year surveillance plan.

Just be vigilant and report any unusual symptoms to your doctor. You may find that your body never grows another polyp or you may find that on subsequent scopes your doctor will find more. One thing to consider is to get an appointment with your GP and have your Vitamin D level checked. There is a very real correlation between low vitamin D levels and polyp growth. Although 'normal' levels are anywhere between 20 - 60, most doctors who are aware of the connection (make it known to your GP that 3 polyps were found) want to see their patients have a level in the mid 40's at the very least. PLEASE don't just go out and start mega dosing on Vitamin D (yes, it's readily available and inexpensive) without having your level tested first. Taking too much vitamin D that isn't necessary can have some serious consequences on one's kidneys. Find out your level and start taking supplements under the care of your doctor. It may take some time and tweaking to get your level up to an optimal level so just be patient.
Take a breath....you did the right thing....and as you said, you are lucky that you caught this early. Try to stop stressing about it and enjoy the life you have with your family. You did the right thing....now just be proactive about your health.

PS....consider this as well. Your doctor may very well not want to perform another scope in less than three years AND it is likely that your insurance would not approve it sooner than that (without any other symptoms being present).
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:00 pm

I would probably want a colonoscopy in less than three years.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

sajetto

Postby sajetto » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:29 pm

weisssoccermom wrote:sajetto,
Had any of your polyps been anything other than benign, the report would have stated it...so rest assured that there were no cancer cells detected and the pathologists would have done a very thorough job when they examined them. To answer your question about follow up time, yes....three years is considered perfectly normal for someone who had BENIGN polyps that were removed. You will likely find that because you have a history of polyps (even if you never have another one) that you will probably never go more than FIVE years between scopes. If, however, your next scope reveals one or more benign polyps, you will likely stay on a THREE year surveillance plan.
).

Weisssoccermom,

Thank you so much for responding to me! I've been sick with worry for days. This just shows how little I know of these things, but when the nurse read the report to me over the phone, she said that there was one benign polyp and two precancerous. The sessile serrated and tubular being the precancerous growths. What kind of risk category does precancerous mean? Does that change the frequency in which I need to be scoped?

Thank you again for all the help! I'll definitely get my Vitamin D levels checked!

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:13 pm

Precancerous polyps simply mean that the polyps had started to show some irregular (precancerous) cells instead of just totally benign cells. HOWEVER, remember that PRE-CANCEROUS means just that....BEFORE they turned cancerous.
IF you copied the pathology report exactly as it was written, then it doesn't say that the polyps were precancerous. Do you actually have the pathology report? If not, I would highly suggest that you get a hard copy of it and keep it. After dealing with this disease for over ten years, I've long ago learned (from my experience as well as others) that too often you don't necessarily get the full report from the doctor/nurse when they just read it to you. GET the actual hard copy and if the doc's office doesn't want to get you a copy of it, then go to the facility that did the scope and DEMAND a copy. If they still give you a difficult time, tell the facility to send a copy to your GP and then get it from him/her.

AS for precancerous polyps, yes the 'standard of care' again is follow up in THREE YEARS so the GI is giving you the right timeframe. I know that it's scary and one immediately wants to be scoped every year or so but honestly, the normal is to be followed up in the cases of precancerous and/or benign polyps every THREE years. You need to see the report....look at things like high grade vs low grade dysplasia (just means that they are more like but NOT cancer cells) and go from there. Rest assured that your doctor doesn't want you to over extend the timing of your scope IF it was needed to be repeated earlier than every three years. Remember that colorectal cancer is one of two where routine screening can actually save a patient's life and detect problems BEFORE they turn cancerous. You did the right thing and got the scope and while you need to be cognizant of the fact that your body may very well be a good 'host' for polyps, it DOES NOT mean that you have cancer now OR that you will have it in the future. You may find that subsequent scopes are totally clean OR you may find that the next scope has 1 or more polyps. Just be vigilant and keep those follow up appointments.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

sajetto

Postby sajetto » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:57 pm

Thanks again! I don't have the hard copy of the report in hand, I copied everything down that the nurse was saying. I will definitely go back to the GI office and tell them I want the actual copy to read closely myself. In healthcare, I really don't understand why hard copy results aren't given to everyone after any kind of test. It's mine, I paid for it, why the reluctance to hand it over?

You have really calmed my nerves and I am truly grateful :)

Jillybean78
Facebook Username: Jill Cooper

Postby Jillybean78 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:02 pm

I'm probably not much help, but I am 39 and had a sessile serrated polyp/adenoma removed two weeks ago during a colonoscopy. The GI said it was benign, but all sessile serrated polyps are considered precancerous. I'm still trying to figure all this out myself as I had no risk factors and no family history of colon cancer or polyps.
39 years old. 15mm "benign" sessile adenoma/polyp resected from ascending colon during exploratory colonoscopy, injected, dyed and clipped. Due to type of polyp it was considered precancerous even though benign. I'm being tested for Lynch and "other" genetic conditions. Another colonoscopy in one year. I'm very anxious because I have 4 year old twins and the GI said she didn't "like" this type and size of polyp.

ains2508

Postby ains2508 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:35 am

Hi, sorry to hijack but I couldn't figure out how to start a new thread. Firstly my thoughts are with all those who are waiting on results or who are dealing with those already received. I had a gastroscopy and colonoscopy they other day merely out of perseverance of not being satisfied that my severe stomach cramps and vomiting are due to abdominal migraines. though I was surprised that they found something and so was the doctors. I have at least 6 sessile polyps in as many areas of the colon. my question is at my age (32) is this unusual and is sessile the same as sessile serrated polyps as i'm finding it hard to differentiate between the two. I don't get my pathology back for another week

ains2508

Postby ains2508 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:43 am

hi is sessile the same sessile serrated? I had several sessile polyps removed. i'm awaiting the pathology but the only information I can find is about sessile serrated polyps

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”