Kras/Braf mutations & radiotherapy response

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Alessandria

Kras/Braf mutations & radiotherapy response

Postby Alessandria » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:05 pm

I've recently completed chemo, followed by chemo-rad. I was told there's no known link between chemo-rad response & crc mutations, but I'm curious to hear if any of you out there with kras/braf mutation have had a very good/complete response to chemo-rad (hoping so!)

Thanks!

Ajane

Re: Kras/Braf mutations & radiotherapy response

Postby Ajane » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:29 am

Alexandria, My "journey" is different than most, but I thought I would let you know that I'm KRAS wild with BRAF2 mutation. I achieved a complete pathological response after an initial six weeks of Xeloda-Rad for an ultra-low tumor some 42 months ago. Although I've since had two distant recurrences, I've remained cancer free locally. Diagnosed as stage 1 initially, I had the less-invasive transanal endoscopic surgery post chemorad instead of the APR surgery. In hindsight, had I chosen the much aggressive surgery, its possible I might have been able to avoid distant recurrences.
Wishing you the best possible results, Jane
7/13, T2, G3, Ultra-low. CEA 5.7 KRAS Wild, MSS
8-9/13 6 wks Xeloda/radiation
12/13 TEM pCR NED
5/15 CEA 4.6 PET 1.5 cm met, UL Lobectomy
6-10/15: Rounds 1-2 Xelox+Avastin; 3-8 Folfox+Avastin
10/15-4/16: 12 rounds Avastin
9/2016 CEA 4.2, 12 mm AP node
11/2016 CEA 4.3. PET/CT. 16mm AP nodal met removed
4 wks chemorad
2/2017 NED CEA 2.4
Carafate to tx esophageal ulcers caused by rad
Avastin maintenance postponed

2 Corinthians 12:9

Alessandria

Re: Kras/Braf mutations & radiotherapy response

Postby Alessandria » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:14 pm

Thanks for your reply Jane. Sorry to hear about your recurrences, though your complete response to chemo-rad first time round must give you good hope for the effectiveness of your current chemo-rad treatment. My chemo-rad was on a nodal area and I'm obviously hoping that it's wiped out whatever was left of the cancer after chemo completely. My last few pet scans have been clear, though I've only had once since radio finished.

Out of interest, when you say Braf2, do you mean the usual Braf mutation, or is it different? Also, if you were initally stage 1, presuably there was no lymph involvement or emvi, so how do you think the cancer managed to spread? How would different surgery have made a difference?

Thanks again

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”