Wanted to share my husband's neuropathy med -it works!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CRguy

Re: Wanted to share my husband's neuropathy med -it works!

Postby CRguy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Hey homie !!!
hope hubby is doing well after the recent Sx
sending best wishes to your family

I agree, not all folks who read will reply
and sometimes when they find a solution they move along with their lives and don't re-post.

BUTT that is not to stop those of us who wish to be here to continue to dialogue and help where we can

You are author of 2 epic topics here :
1. pain cream
2. daily enema regimen

keep On keepin' on my friend

Cheers and Harmony
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:52 pm

I suffer from terrible neuropathy. When I saw your initial post, I made sure to print out all of the notes on what was in this cream. I brought it to my next oncology appointment, but they said I would need to take it to my GP as their pharmacy did not do compound creams like this.

Fast forward to the fact that 3 out of 4 of my doctors all left their practice to go somewhere else between Feb and Mar, and you land with me at a new GP in April. I pulled out my paper, and said, "I need THIS." He tried to sell me on Cymbalta instead, which I firmly negated. He wrote me a script for the cream. Fortunately for me, a pharmacy less than a mile from my house is one of only 3 in the greater area that makes this type of mixed compound. I just got it last week, and have been EAGER to get on and find this thread and post my results. :)

SO - the cream is indeed a GODSEND. My particular mix varies a little from the original mix noted, but still contains the main components. I don't have my copy of the script in front of me (I made a copy to be sure I could tell you all the exact mix), but I know they said it has 4 different controlled substances in it. The ketamine, of course, a muscle relaxer, an anti-inflammatory and a numbing agent. The pharmacist told me that when she is mixing the powders, if she gets it on her gloves and inadvertently rubs her chin or lip, she feels as if she's been to the dentist. I thought it was a great way to describe the level of impact / action.

I agree that it eases the pain, and in addition it has a prolonged effect for me in that if I apply it regularly it seems to prevent my feet from getting as sore to start with. Plus (and this was a TRUE gift for me), it has all but eliminated the severe foot and leg cramps I have been getting all night long over the last few months. That alone makes this worth it to me.

I have noticed one sort-of negative, which is that when my feet do get painful I notice it more, but I think this is due to the fact that I had become so used to being in pain all the time that I'd forgotten what it felt like to *not* have pain. Now that I have moments where my feet feel pretty good, the pain seems even more apparent when it comes - but the good news is that this only happens when I'm not consistent with applying the cream, or when I do a really unusual amount of walking or standing on hard surfaces, or do something stupid like going barefoot.

So in a nutshell and to quote my pharmacist: "This is the holy grail of neuropathy treatments."

Hallelujah! Thank you SO much for starting this thread!!!
--Tracy
DX 3/4/2016 Colon Cancer; age 46 Mom of then 4-yr-old
Stage IIIB: T3N1M0
3/31/16 Surgery
4 to 10/2016: Xeloda Monotherapy
CEA: 10/16 0.56, 1/17 0.54
CT CLEAR: 3/6/17; 4/17/18; 4/16/19
NED 3 years
“If I can help somebody as I walk along, then my living shall not be in vain.”

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:24 pm

Interesting so far that none of the peripheral neuropathy reported is chemo induced.
So glad this cream is helping :)

BS
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:32 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

mtipte
Facebook Username: mario tipte

Postby mtipte » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:42 pm

Just a question. My mum will probably have neuropathy from xelox as she's about to start this treatment tomorrow. So will this help her in some way? Can I apply it before this happens? I mean as a means of prevention? Any help?

Thanks. :)
Dear Mum 60 y/o
dx 09/16 RC III CEA 9
Chemo/rad 28 from 10/16 till 12/16
Xeloda
multiple lymph nodes
Adenocarcinoma low grade invasive
Now 2000 mg Xeloda for 2 weeks as maint. before surg.
24/01/17 CEA 4,9
APR surgery permanent colostomy :( 24/03/17
3/26 nodes involved -LVI - clean margins
Staged after surgery: T3N1Mx
Infection due to bladder problems. Slow recovery.
CEA 1.7 :)
Adj. Chemo Xelox 6 rounds 29/04/17
After round 3 CT Scans Clear 15/07

God is faithful. Only Jesus.

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:10 am

Hi there...I am not a doctor so I can't say if this has preventative abilities, but there is always the possibility that your mom won't need it!! Not everyone ends up with this issue, and for many people it happens later, not from minute one. Keep this thread in mind, but for now, my thoughts are to not borrow trouble; meaning don't worry about this side effect until it actually happens, and hopefully it NEVER will!!

And by the way, thanks for being a great daughter/care giver. You obviously are making sure you learn as much as you can for your mom's care :) It can be an overwhelming journey for everyone involved. Good luck to your mom!!!
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

Maia

Postby Maia » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:56 am

Tammy, I shared the recipe you shared in other forum --ColonTown, in Facebook--, pointing people here with the link, of course, so they can read for themselves and hopefully report, if they try this.
A question I got --for you and others here-- is if this cream helps with the feeling of numbness, not only with the pain, or if it in fact doesn't contribute to the numbness --as a mechanism to 'mask' the pain.
Hope I transmitted that well --I only can imagine, fellows, how this feels. Wishing you all the best.

mtipte

Postby mtipte » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:35 pm

tammylayne wrote:Hi there...I am not a doctor so I can't say if this has preventative abilities, but there is always the possibility that your mom won't need it!! Not everyone ends up with this issue, and for many people it happens later, not from minute one. Keep this thread in mind, but for now, my thoughts are to not borrow trouble; meaning don't worry about this side effect until it actually happens, and hopefully it NEVER will!!

And by the way, thanks for being a great daughter/care giver. You obviously are making sure you learn as much as you can for your mom's care :) It can be an overwhelming journey for everyone involved. Good luck to your mom!!!

Thanks, I'm her son though hehe.

:)
Dear Mum 60 y/o
dx 09/16 RC III CEA 9
Xeloda
multiple lymph nodes
24/01/17 CEA 4,9

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:53 pm

Maia wrote:Tammy, I shared the recipe you shared in other forum --ColonTown, in Facebook--, pointing people here with the link, of course, so they can read for themselves and hopefully report, if they try this.
A question I got --for you and others here-- is if this cream helps with the feeling of numbness, not only with the pain, or if it in fact doesn't contribute to the numbness --as a mechanism to 'mask' the pain.
Hope I transmitted that well --I only can imagine, fellows, how this feels. Wishing you all the best.

Great question, Maia (hopefully I'm interpreting what you're asking correctly). For me, the neuropathy presents as both numbness and pain. It's like the external is very numb, yet inside and around things like toenails it's very painful. The only comparison I can give people is that if you were to stamp barefoot on wet cement for about half an hour, your feet might feel like this.

The cream does not, in my experience, lessen or address the numbness. In fact, there is a numbing agent in it. My understanding is that it's meant to help mitigate the pain. This is reinforced by the painkiller, the anti-inflammatory, the muscle relaxer and the numbing agent that are part of the ingredients. However, the pharmacist did say it is supposed to help increase blood flow to the area it's being applied to, so perhaps if the nerve damage is actually in the feet, this might help. Nerve damage stemming from the spine is not actually in the foot, just presenting in the nerves there, so probably not much curative aspect to treatment even when applied directly to the foot. Does that make sense? Hope it helps, and of course, this is just my personal experience and speculation. I'm not doctor or chemist by any means.

--Tracy
3/31/16 Surgery
NED 3 years

mtipte

Postby mtipte » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:57 pm

WriterGirl1969 wrote:
Maia wrote:Tammy, I shared the recipe you shared in other forum --ColonTown, in Facebook--, pointing people here with the link, of course, so they can read for themselves and hopefully report, if they try this.

Great question, Maia (hopefully I'm interpreting what you're asking correctly). For me, the neuropathy presents as both numbness and pain. It's like the external is very numb, yet inside and around things like toenails it's very painful. The only comparison I can give people is that if you were to stamp barefoot on wet cement for about half an hour, your feet might feel like this.

The cream does not, in my experience, lessen or address the numbness. In fact, there is a numbing agent in it. My understanding is that it's meant to help mitigate the pain. This is reinforced by the painkiller, the anti-inflammatory, the muscle relaxer and the numbing agent that are part of the ingredients. However, the pharmacist did say it is supposed to help increase blood flow to the area it's being applied to, so perhaps if the nerve damage is actually in the feet, this might help. Nerve damage stemming from the spine is not actually in the foot, just presenting in the nerves there, so probably not much curative aspect to treatment even when applied directly to the foot. Does that make sense? Hope it helps, and of course, this is just my personal experience and speculation. I'm not doctor or chemist by any means.

--Tracy

Hi Writergirl,

I'm just curious but I wonder how you developed neuropathy if you had only Xeloda monotherapy.

Cheers.
Dear Mum 60 y/o
dx 09/16 RC III CEA 9
Xeloda
multiple lymph nodes
24/01/17 CEA 4,9

Maia

Postby Maia » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi, Tracy --you, great WriterGirl
Thank you so much for your reply --I feel you understood what I meant and I do understand your answer. I do know how difficult it is, to describe this kind of sensations.
I'll report to the other forum soon. Hoping to hear also from more users! : )

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:14 pm

mtipte wrote: Hi Writergirl,
I'm just curious but I wonder how you developed neuropathy if you had only Xeloda monotherapy.
Cheers.

Hey there. Was just writing to you on your other thread. :)
I developed neuropathy (both feet) after a botched epidural when I had my son. He just turned 6 this week, so that's how long I've had it. Started at the base of my toes, sort-of between them, and gradually increased over the years.

Hugs and Prayers,
Tracy
3/31/16 Surgery
NED 3 years

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:16 pm

Maia wrote:Hi, Tracy --you, great WriterGirl

LOL - Hi Maia. :D

Maia wrote:Thank you so much for your reply --I feel you understood what I meant and I do understand your answer. I do know how difficult it is, to describe this kind of sensations.
I'll report to the other forum soon. Hoping to hear also from more users! : )

Excellent. Glad to hear word is spreading. And you're right, it's such an odd combination, very hard to describe. Then I get X-Rays of my feet and nothing is actually wrong with them there... just weird. They feel like they should look like hooked little claws, yet there they sit, normal-looking as can be. Devilish little things. ;-)
3/31/16 Surgery
NED 3 years

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:42 pm

I was wondering about the numbness too & the fact it had a numbing agent. Glad to hear a reply.
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:33 pm

My husband's response is that for him it takes away the pain, the feeing of frost bite...the intense pins and needles. He can wear socks and shoes...without it...these things are almost impossible.
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”