Again ... How Do We Go On?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
MDK

Again ... How Do We Go On?

Postby MDK » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Somewhere in my past posts I asked how do you go on? It was right after my oncologist told me that I was currently incurable! This would have been last September when - after my surgery, they found no lymph nodes that contained cancer cells and all was wonderful - but then then my oncologist did my first set of baselines scans and found a spot on my liver and suspicious, small nodes in my lungs (jury is still out on exactly what those nodes are).

Responding well to my new Xeloda/Avastin treatment - liver tumor shrank, lung nodes stable. This from my first CT scan in early December after treatment began.

Since Christmas I have been very depressed. I will be 58 this year, that is not young yet I still can't believe I am coming to the end. I know I have some time - my faith seems to have failed me.

Any words of encouragement? I sure could use them.

Marianne
Diagnosed 11/9/2015
Stage III Rectal Cancer
Began Chemoradiation 01/04/2016
Completed Chemoradiation 2/17/16
Local Excision
Developed Rectovaginal Fistula
06/24/16 APR / Flap Repair Fistula
Permanent Colostomy
09/20/2016 Liver Mets, possible Lung Mets
9/16 - 11/17 Xeloda and Avastin to progression
12/17 - 01/18 Folfox 6 sessions liver tumor shrank considerably - severe allergic reaction
01/18 - 04/18 Xeloda and Avastin - Progression
06/18 Avastin and Irinotecan

Philippians 4:6-7

TXLiz

Re: Again ... How Do We Go On?

Postby TXLiz » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:40 pm

I am sorry to hear you are in such a difficult spot. I don't know how helpful I will be, but I just wanted you to know I read your post and recognize the despair and pain you are feeling. Hugs and prayers to you. If your faith is Christian, know He will never leave you. It feels like He does, but He is always there for us. If you aren't Christian and I have assumed wrong, please disregard the last part and accept my apologies. I lean heavily on the Lord and His promises of Eternal Life daily. The tricky part is letting go of this life with grace and dignity, for me. We don't know the future, though. Anything is possible for any of us. Things can change positively for you again, or at least become stable. One day at a time, my friend.
Vomiting and blockage 9/19/16 46 y F
R hemi colectomy 9/20/16
Stage 3 B CRC, located in cecum
3 out of 16 lymph nodes positive
perineural invasion/lymphovascular invasion
infiltrating, mod differentiated adenocarcinoma with a mucinous component
separate tumor nodules present in pericolonic adipose tissue
MSI-high
Baseline PET scan clear 9/16 CEA 0.5
FOLFOX 10/16- 3/17
April 16th, CT scan clear. CEA 1.1
Lynch "inconclusive"
Colonoscopy 10/5/2017 clear

teri3

Postby teri3 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi Marianne. I too will be 58 next year but I don't feel old and in no way am I ready to give up the fight. Sounds like this round is working for you....don't lose the faith maintain the fight. There are other treatments if this doesn't work and there are constantly new treatments coming up. Lots of trials with good responses.
Hugs
Teri
58 yrs old female
MSS KRAS mutation G12V
adenocarcinoma sigmoid colon dx 11-14
sigmoidectomy 11-14
Stage 3A
3 out of 20 lymph nodes involved
started FolFox 1-27-15
11 rounds FOLFOX last one 6-30-2015
7-29-2015 PET clear
5-14-2016 CT 2 nodules one in each lung
Confirmed pulmonary metastasis stage 4
FOLFIRi + Avistin started 8-16 11 rounds complete 12-16
CT 12-16 nodules shrunk chemo break wait and see :?
CT growth
VATS l lung 4 10 17
VATS r lung 4 24 17
CT 2 nodules r up and l low :(

recruiter
Facebook Username: Bill Wilson

Postby recruiter » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:05 pm

I understand how you feel.

I am treading water, with a rectal tumor that has responded nicely to treatment - but not nicely enough to allow removal with the margins necessary to make a recurrence anything less than a certainty. Meanwhile, I have lung mets that are shrinking or stable because I let the cancer get away from me - the reason is in the next paragraph.

I am 56 years old, and for the last 20 years of my life I was the caregiver for my Mom, the most significant person in my life. My diagnosis, last Jan. 29, started her on a health spiral - she took the news of my cancer MUCH worse than her strokes and heart issues - that ended with her passing on May 13, so I feel to a degree like my tumor cost me both my best friend and my health. Many have the times been since those initial dark days that I've been fine with the end being at hand, if that's His will.

But then I remember Mom - how desperately she wanted me to push this fight as far as it will go. And I remember the one thing in my life I hated more than anything else - to disappoint her. Everything that's good in me is her; the bad is me. I have no regrets about choosing Mom's care over my own. I would do it the same.

So, I owe her the fight. I press on. Xeloda and Avastin. I am still in good enough shape to work, although some days it wears me out, which is great because I'm blessed with wonderful health insurance.

That's what I promised Mom, before I lost her. And that's what I will deliver, until I hold her hand again.
DX Stage 4 2/16 with lung mets
4/16 CT, PET show "marked improvement" in size and number of lung mets, rectal tumor.
8/16 "Great report" from scans, lung mets continue to shrink in size and number, CEA 1.6, cancer "in remission" but surgeon believes tumor remains too large.
10/16 Xrays for constipation problems reveal tumor occupies 25 percent of rectal canal: Occupied 80 percent upon diagnosis 2/16
12/16 Back on Avastin; tumor can be removed, but need better margins.

jortego128

Postby jortego128 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:31 pm

But then I remember Mom - how desperately she wanted me to push this fight as far as it will go. And I remember the one thing in my life I hated more than anything else - to disappoint her. Everything that's good in me is her; the bad is me. I have no regrets about choosing Mom's care over my own. I would do it the same.

So, I owe her the fight. I press on. Xeloda and Avastin. I am still in good enough shape to work, although some days it wears me out, which is great because I'm blessed with wonderful health insurance.

That's what I promised Mom, before I lost her. And that's what I will deliver, until I hold her hand again.

Thats beautiful man. I lost my mom this year after a brief, 10 month battle with colon cancer. She had just turned 58 a month before she left us. Despite the fact that I have a wife and two precious children, understand that I would have traded places in an instant if I could have. That is how much I loved my mom. News of her dx and prognosis hit me like a speeding train, and the following 10 months were akin to me being caught underneath and dragged, desperately trying to to grab and cling to anything in order to save her. Her passing for me was like finally falling out behind the rear of the train, still alive but completely broken and feeling as if I was dead.

Im sorry for your loss and what you are going through, but I know for certain your mom wants you to fight for yourself as much as you did for her. Do it for her, and for everyone else who loves you.
DM 57 yrs old dx 6/8/15 T:4a N:1b M:1
KRAS G12D and TP53 C242fs mutations
Poorly Differentiated, Prominent Signet Ring Component(~50%)
Microsatellite Stable, 3 of (13)lymph nodes positive
15 Liver mets, largest 3.2 cm
Prim. Resection, Right Hemicolectomy 6/21/15
Start Chemo 7/20/15
2 rounds FOLFOX, 1 round FOLFOX +Avastin
CT 8/28/15, met growth, largest 4.5cm
4 rounds FOLFOX+Avastin
CT 11/06/15 mets stable, lungs clear
Begin FOLFIRI+Avastin 11/17/15, Stop chemo 1/26/16
Entered Paradise 3/11/2016

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:46 pm

I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time!*hugs* I hope things get better soon!
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:05 pm

I am so sorry you find yourself in this mindset as well. I wish there was an easy answer. All I can really say is one day at a time.

Close your eyes and feel the hands of all of us supporting you through your tough times.

As always please feel free to PM me, and if you need more immediate contact I have no problem setting something up.

Keeping you in my prayers.
Beans
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Surgery 1 - 11/2015 LAR and colostomy
Surgery 2 - 11/2015 wound vac
Surgery 3 - 12/2015 revise resection, move colostomy
Mets to liver - tumor inoperable - one add'l met destroyed
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Primary tumor 9 cm x 7.5 cm x 2 cm
Beginning Folfox 1/2016 - Failed
Beginning Folfiri and vectibix 8/2016 — Failed
Beginning Folfirinox + Avastin 11/2016 - Failed
Beginning Keytruda 1/2017
CEA drop from 345 to 7.3 after starting immunotherapy
Lynch positive 3/2016

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:53 am

I was 48 when dxed with an aggressive stage 3 tumour into six of 13 nodes. My surgeon was an old and experienced veteran of many cancer surgeries. He predicted that I had no more than three years and to get out and do the things I wanted to do whilst I could. Of course I totally ignored him and went back to work about a quarter of the way through chemo. The twenty second of this month I reach the end of year 19 of survival and start year 20. I turn 67 this year and I am still working. Life does not always turn out the way we envision it. Ron.
dx 1/98
st 3 c 6 nodes
48 sessions 5Fu/levamisole
no recurrence cea <.5
numerous l/t side effects of chemo

recruiter
Facebook Username: Bill Wilson

Postby recruiter » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:39 am

jortego128 wrote:

Thats beautiful man. I lost my mom this year after a brief, 10 month battle with colon cancer. She had just turned 58 a month before she left us. Despite the fact that I have a wife and two precious children, understand that I would have traded places in an instant if I could have. That is how much I loved my mom. News of her dx and prognosis hit me like a speeding train, and the following 10 months were akin to me being caught underneath and dragged, desperately trying to to grab and cling to anything in order to save her. Her passing for me was like finally falling out behind the rear of the train, still alive but completely broken and feeling as if I was dead.

Im sorry for your loss and what you are going through, but I know for certain your mom wants you to fight for yourself as much as you did for her. Do it for her, and for everyone else who loves you.

I am sorry for your loss as well. The train analogy is a good one, as I spent the last six months of last year feeling like life was just hurtling by, with decisions to make and no time to contemplate them, with the worst moment deciding to put Mom in hospice. As a dear friend told me at my Mom's funeral, "The problem we both face is that we were raised by the best mothers God could bless this Earth with."

So the only thing to do is fight. I refuse to stop planning for the future, because Mom would want it that way and Ron is right above. We don't know how our story ends, and neither do the doctors, from the positive ones to the dour ones. Only God does. I had bought us a new home to renovate - for accessibility issues - before she died and I'm moving into it this month without her.

I guess in a nutshell, I go on because it's the right thing to do. Doesn't mean it is easy.
DX Stage 4 2/16 with lung mets
4/16 CT, PET show "marked improvement" in size and number of lung mets, rectal tumor.
8/16 "Great report" from scans, lung mets continue to shrink in size and number, CEA 1.6, cancer "in remission" but surgeon believes tumor remains too large.
10/16 Xrays for constipation problems reveal tumor occupies 25 percent of rectal canal: Occupied 80 percent upon diagnosis 2/16
12/16 Back on Avastin; tumor can be removed, but need better margins.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”