Question for chemo for lifers...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BeansMama

Question for chemo for lifers...

Postby BeansMama » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:44 pm

How do you do it? How do you make it through all these infusions?

I have infusion #22 on Tuesday and I just don't want to. I know I will, because I have to, I pray this demon of a cocktail they have me on shrinks this tumor so I can get to surgery. It makes me so sick, I get maybe 2 days of feeling ok before I have another treatment.

On the other hand I just want a damn break. I'm tired of feeling sick and tired if that makes any sense. I know I can't stop chemo, I still have an active tumor that grew on the last chemo cocktail. If I stopped my liver tumor would grow. Probably faster than normal CRC (normal CRC? does that even make sense?) since I am Lynch positive and from what I have read it makes it grow faster (hoping I read that incorrectly. Really really hoping)

Sorry about the whinefest. I just needed to get it out, I could have talked with my husband but he just doesn't understand. He would encourage me to push on (which I am going to do anyway) but he doesn't fully understand how I feel. I needed to vent it somewhere people understand what it is like to have received chemo and how it really makes you feel.
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Surgery 1 - 11/2015 LAR and colostomy
Surgery 2 - 11/2015 wound vac
Surgery 3 - 12/2015 revise resection, move colostomy
Mets to liver - tumor inoperable - one add'l met destroyed
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Primary tumor 9 cm x 7.5 cm x 2 cm
Beginning Folfox 1/2016 - Failed
Beginning Folfiri and vectibix 8/2016 — Failed
Beginning Folfirinox + Avastin 11/2016 - Failed
Beginning Keytruda 1/2017
CEA drop from 345 to 7.3 after starting immunotherapy
Lynch positive 3/2016

KElizabeth
Facebook Username: KElizabeth

Re: Question for chemo for lifers...

Postby KElizabeth » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:14 pm

You are on the most difficult Chemo cocktails there is Mama. It's okay to whine or feel sorry for yourself every once in awhile. You have come this far and are one tough cookie.
Have you talked to your oncologist about local treatment to the liver? Maybe therasphere, RFA or cryoablation? I forget if you have mentioned this before.
Female age 39- ,2 teens.
Colon Cancer - DX March 2013
Age 34 at DX - Stage III B
Resection surgery -May 2013
FOLFOX - June, 2013 to Sept, 2013
5FU plus leukavorin Sept, 2013 to Dec, 2013
METs liver and lungs discovered Sept, 2015
KRAS - MSS
FOLFIRI plus Avastin - Sept, 2015 - July 2017
Durvalumab and Cediranib Sept 2017 Dec 17
FOLFOX with desensitization protocol - current

Maddielolo

Postby Maddielolo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:42 pm

since your lynch, have you investigated immunotherapy for MSI-high?

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:21 am

KElizabeth wrote:You are on the most difficult Chemo cocktails there is Mama. It's okay to whine or feel sorry for yourself every once in awhile. You have come this far and are one tough cookie.
Have you talked to your oncologist about local treatment to the liver? Maybe therasphere, RFA or cryoablation? I forget if you have mentioned this before.

We have discussed liver targeted radiation and chemo. Basically they inject little spheres containing either into my hepatic vein to hit the liver. Not sure of the technical name for it. The thing they are worried about is damaging the good portion of my liver. The goal is to preserve that as much as we can because we are still aiming for resection. From what I gather from my oncologist we will only do it once resection is off the table.

I'm just so tired of not knowing. I read all these posts where everything has gone so easily and I wonder why hasn't mine been like that? I know every path is different when fighting this disease but why did mine have to be Mount Everest???
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Lynch positive 3/2016

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:25 am

Maddielolo wrote:since your lynch, have you investigated immunotherapy for MSI-high?

I have approval from my insurance for Opdivo. My oncologist wants to see if this chemo cocktail fails first. According to my oncologist the Opdivo will most likely only keep me stable. I will still have side effects, but they won't be as bad.
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Lynch positive 3/2016

Maia

Postby Maia » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:54 am

BeansMama wrote: [chemo] I am Lynch positive and from what I have read it makes it grow faster

Yes.
BeansMama wrote:I have approval from my insurance for Opdivo.

SO happy to hear, so glad!

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:55 am

Maia wrote:
BeansMama wrote: [chemo] I am Lynch positive and from what I have read it makes it grow faster

Yes.
BeansMama wrote:I have approval from my insurance for Opdivo.

SO happy to hear, so glad!

Thanks Maia
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Lynch positive 3/2016

Maia

Postby Maia » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:06 am

BeansMama, the following is some information that you might want to share with your oncologist for his/her consideration --or not, but I have to say it! : )

The following is about a drug similar to Opdivo (an anti PD-1/L1) *but* that is has a little wider action --so much, that some MSS colon cancer patients go for it. So, being Lynch / MSI-Low, you would be even in a better position that those MSS.
The nearest location for you would be on Huntersville, at the Carolina BioOncology Institute, with Dr John D. Powderly (one of the best since years ago for immunotherapy for CRC). Maybe it's not near you, despite being in the same state, BUT... this is the first ORAL immunotherapy in trials. It's a pill. So no infusions; not other hospital visits than for tests / follow ups.
This is the trial: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02812875
I was going to post for all on the board, so I'll make a separate post with more data.

edited to add: http://carolinabiooncology.org/ http://carolinabiooncology.org/dr-powderly/
Last edited by Maia on Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:13 am

Maia wrote:BeansMama, the following is some information that you might want to share with your oncologist for his/her consideration --or not, but I have to say it! : )

The following is about a drug similar to Opdivo (an anti PD-1/L1) *but* that is has a little wider action --so much, that some MSS colon cancer patients go for it. So, being Lynch / MSI-Low, you would be even in a better position that those MSS.
The nearest location for you would be on Huntersville, at the Carolina BioOncology Institute, with Dr John D. Powderly (one of the best since years ago for immunotherapy for CRC). Maybe it's not near you, despite being in the same state, BUT... this is the first ORAL immunotherapy in trials. It's a pill. So no infusions; not other hospital visits than for tests / follow ups.
This is the trial: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02812875
I was going to post for all on the board, so I'll make a separate post with more data.

Thank you Maia! I will bring this up with my oncologist. Huntersville is actually pretty close to where I am as it is another suburb of Charlotte. No infusions sounds wonderful!
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Lynch positive 3/2016

Maia

Postby Maia » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:25 am

There, I posted in a separate thread for you and everyone else:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56821
and I posted the links to Carolina BioOncology Institute and Dr Powderly in the previous post.

BeansMama, I hear your pain with chemo each time that I read your post, since months ago. Maybe this trial (or taking Opdivo) might get you to liver resection! And if it's not, maybe it give you a rest, just keeping you stable --which is not bad, since your immune system is taking a toll, and you need a good immune system to keep the NED forever after a resection! If Opdivo or a trial don't work well, chemo will be there for you to revisit.
I so wish you a lot of good things in this 2017!

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:40 am

BeansMama wrote:
I'm just so tired of not knowing. I read all these posts where everything has gone so easily and I wonder why hasn't mine been like that? I know every path is different when fighting this disease but why did mine have to be Mount Everest???

I feel the same way about my husband's.

:(
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

Steph20021

Postby Steph20021 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:19 am

Beans mama I'm a chemo for lifer too and I just had another infusion on Friday so as today is Monday I'm only starting to get over it now. I have the same feelings. I want to stop but I know I can't, I know I won't. I'll keep pushing on because I want to live but this is a hell of a way of going about it. I was so sick this time. I think because my dose was lowered the last time due to low WBC that it made this one feel even worse than usual. I'm sick of the rollarcoaster too and I wanted to share in that with you. We are in this crap together. All I keep hoping for is that a cure or nicer alternative will come sooner so we can get off this stuff in the near future. <3
DX 1/31/14 @ 33- SPS-T4a(invades visceral peri), N2a(6/106 LN), M1a(ovary) (Stage 4a) MSS; BRAF V600E
2/1/14-subtotal col, lost R ovary, temp ileo
3/14-9/14- folfox; sepsis
11/14-CT/PET: L ovary met, pelvic met, (?)ghost liver met(?)
12/14-folfiri -13 rds kept me stable from 3/15-6/15
8/15-HIPEC, NED
09/15- cea 0.9
05/16- recurrence in abdo wall and lymph nodes
01/17- pulmonary embolism
02/17- 1 wk radiation to abdo wall
08/16- on folfiri
01/18-folfox
11/18- Beacon trial-encorafenib & cetuximab

KElizabeth
Facebook Username: KElizabeth

Postby KElizabeth » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:56 am

BeansMama wrote:
We have discussed liver targeted radiation and chemo. Basically they inject little spheres containing either into my hepatic vein to hit the liver. Not sure of the technical name for it. The thing they are worried about is damaging the good portion of my liver. The goal is to preserve that as much as we can because we are still aiming for resection. From what I gather from my oncologist we will only do it once resection is off the table.

Would it be difficult to schedule a consultation with an investigational radiologist on your own then pitch the ideas to the oncologist after you know the option? Do you live near any large metropolitan areas where there is likely to be a couple doctors like this?
If you can't schedule a consultation yourself maybe the oncologist could be persuaded to recommended you to one. My doctor told me he could do RFA or cryoablation several times and still not rule out other procedures in the future such as resection or Therasphere.
It doesn't hurt to ask anyway.
Female age 39- ,2 teens.
Colon Cancer - DX March 2013
Age 34 at DX - Stage III B
Resection surgery -May 2013
FOLFOX - June, 2013 to Sept, 2013
5FU plus leukavorin Sept, 2013 to Dec, 2013
METs liver and lungs discovered Sept, 2015
KRAS - MSS
FOLFIRI plus Avastin - Sept, 2015 - July 2017
Durvalumab and Cediranib Sept 2017 Dec 17
FOLFOX with desensitization protocol - current

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:23 am

I don't really have any advice. You have been given some good advice. Getting other opinions may not be a bad idea.

When do you get scanned next? Am I correct to assume that is when they will consider you a candidate for surgery (ie there is tumor shrinkage).

Thinking of you,(((BeansMama)))

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

jortego128

Postby jortego128 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:39 pm

BeansMama wrote:

The technical term for it is call SIRT - Selective Internal Radiation Therapy. It uses the radioactive isotope ytrium-90, infused into microscopic glass or resin spheres. The spheres are mixed into a solution and injected into the femoral artery after pinching off certain arteries to direct the spheres into certain portions of the liver, where they become lodged into the capillary structures of the tumors. They release cell killing radiation for a few days before decaying into non-lethal levels.

There are two brands of SIRT - Therasphere (glass) and SIR-Spheres (resin). Both have been shown to be equally effective. I was going to have this for my mom, but she was too weak and we made the choice to call it off, it was a good call as she died a couple weeks later. Had I known about the procedure at the beginning, I would have pushed for it at the start.

SIRT is no magic bullet, but statistically it can increase chances of resection over systemic chemo. I forget the exact numbers, but if systemic chemo is 5%, SIRT maybe 15 to 20% or so.
DM 57 yrs old dx 6/8/15 T:4a N:1b M:1
KRAS G12D and TP53 C242fs mutations
Poorly Differentiated, Prominent Signet Ring Component(~50%)
Microsatellite Stable, 3 of (13)lymph nodes positive
15 Liver mets, largest 3.2 cm
Prim. Resection, Right Hemicolectomy 6/21/15
Start Chemo 7/20/15
2 rounds FOLFOX, 1 round FOLFOX +Avastin
CT 8/28/15, met growth, largest 4.5cm
4 rounds FOLFOX+Avastin
CT 11/06/15 mets stable, lungs clear
Begin FOLFIRI+Avastin 11/17/15, Stop chemo 1/26/16
Entered Paradise 3/11/2016

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”