To all, old and new

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Nik Colon

To all, old and new

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:31 am

All I know (or remember) is that I have always cared for all and tried to help. I know I have not been perfect, said things I shouldn't, gotten angry, etc. That is life, that is love. I care deeply, but have hurt many I love the deepest. I have been hurt also. I was taught to forgive, and stick to that. I don't hold onto hate. Life is too short to. I know there are people here who like me and others who don't (who, I'm not sure). I used to have friends in high places, now not so much (again, not sure why). There was a time when we could joke and laugh, disagree, etc. (Again, not so much now). Things change, sadly most of the time to a more PC thing, nor more jokes, no more just being human. I came here 2 yrs ago and i5s already changed so much. I hate to see the PC, non humor, serious future.

Say what you will (I know who will defend), but you know it's true.

I will see th8s forum go down like many others I have seen in the past.

Why, cuz no one is willing to say shit, besides me and a few others (you know how you are, my friends, even maybe some not).

So, say something or let this forum become just another PC place where we have to be propper.

Hell, I probablywon't be alive in a few yrs, so I'm saying for future people who need this forum

Good luck

Green Tea

Re: To all, old and new

Postby Green Tea » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:31 am

Nik Colon wrote:(...) I came here 2 yrs ago and its already changed so much (...) I will see this forum go down like many others I have seen in the past...

Nik:

I've noticed more-or-less the same thing. Now, it seems like there are not as many persons here to welcome newcomers as there were two years ago. Recently, you have been one of the main forces for welcoming newcomers and for disseminating true information. As someone has already said, you are the "welcome wagon" of this board.

Hang in there, and take whatever rest you need right now. I know it's below freezing there where you are at 2:30 am, but we appreciate your involvement in this forum, and we'll be sure to keep the lights on for you. Take care...
Last edited by Green Tea on Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

stu

Postby stu » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:14 am

I have been here for seven years and I am deeply grateful for the people who have stayed even enduring difficult situations themselves to help be the solution to someone else's difficult day .
This year people were so good to my family helping me and my mum from their first hand experience . Sharing knowledge and experience, reducing fear for my mum. That to me is priceless.
I don't know what it is to have friends in high places on an Internet forum. It was five years before I even got a private message. But I know what it is to have been helped.
It's not right for everyone and it's only sensible then to find something that suits you better if you identify that this is not . But taking my mum's example in life of finding the good or letting others enjoy what they can seems appropriate on the last day of 2016 .
I wish you the best in2017
Love Stu
Ps with Maggie Nel around it will never be pc :D
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:09 am

Well, it's 10.06pm New Year's Eve where I am and there is bugger all on the telly
and That's. All. I. Have. To. Say. About. That.
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

stu

Postby stu » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:11 am

Let me wish you HAPPY NEW year Maggie. Hope it's a good one.
Anyone know how to add a photo??
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

Swirdfish

Postby Swirdfish » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:13 am

A lot of people come on here to just read because it's a good resource. Do they need to post. Not really as all the information is within the search. Just MO.
06/2016 Went in for colonoscopy came out with a tumor. Age 35
12cm from verge at junction. Rectal cancer.
Clinical stage T3 NO MO
Temp illestomy
Completed 5FU and Radiation
LAR surgery planned 13 Oct 2016
Completed ULAR surgery 11-10-2016.
0/22 nodes
pT3 N0 M0 R1
Stage 2A

Pathology reviewed and changed
ypT3 N0 M0 R0

Started folfox 21-11-2016
5-4-17 NED
Reversal 12-4-17

ChiMama

Postby ChiMama » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi Nik

I just want to give you a virtual hug! I don't know all that has gone on, since I can't read all the posts...

but when I first started researching colon cancer after my diagnosis, and found this board, you were one of the people I noticed first. Your openness, vulnerability, and most of all your consistent presence. You respond to almost everyone, and that means a lot.

I've been a discussion board participant for over 23 years, and have been a moderator on many - including a health chat on the old AOL, and I've seen it all - the good, the bad, the ugly, and the WTF. As you say, times change, boards evolve (or devolve), personalities clash, words are misread, misunderstood, disagreements arise, feelings get hurt, and people come and go for a variety of reasons.

But, with all that said, I certainly hope and believe that all are welcome here - even though there may be differences or disagreements. There is something here for everyone - information, resources, connection, and most of all, hope. As a newer member, I think all points of view are valuable, and I would hope that the bigger picture of why we're all here would take precedence over personality or communication style issues. It's people like you, who offer a word here and there, hope for some, challenge for others, information, direction, compassion, hope, who are the backbone of places like this. Your consistent presence has made a difference for me and I'm sure many others.

This is a difficult time of year for many people, a difficult situation most of us are dealing with, and a difficult world we're in right now. We don't have to agree with everyone and everything here, but I think it's important to have compassion for others, as well as for ourselves. Know that you are appreciated for the contribution you've made to me, and others who may read but don't yet participate.

Let's make it a happy new year!
4/21/16 First Colonoscopy @59
DX high grade dysplasia
Fibroid uterus, liver cysts, lung nodules
6/17/16 Open surgery: hysterectomy, X 12.5cm sigmoid, 29 LN
T2N0M0 Stage 1 Mod diff adeno 5.2cm x 4.1. Gyne benign, Lynch neg
CT 7/27/16 Ground Glass & spiculated lung nodules, thyroid nods, watching.
2017/18/19 Scopes: polyps. Scans stable
2019 Endo: hiatal hernia. 2 breast biopsies, benign
5/20 GGN 1.1cm. Biopsy: adenocarcinoma/primary lung cancer. Robotic VATS upper left lobe. 1A
Mama to a rescue Chihuahua

KElizabeth
Facebook Username: KElizabeth

Postby KElizabeth » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:55 pm

Here's to a better new year and may cancer go straight to Hell.
Stay here and kick up some shit now and then so we can remember we're all going through rough times and deserve a place to vent now and then.
~Elizabeth.
Female age 39- ,2 teens.
Colon Cancer - DX March 2013
Age 34 at DX - Stage III B
Resection surgery -May 2013
FOLFOX - June, 2013 to Sept, 2013
5FU plus leukavorin Sept, 2013 to Dec, 2013
METs liver and lungs discovered Sept, 2015
KRAS - MSS
FOLFIRI plus Avastin - Sept, 2015 - July 2017
Durvalumab and Cediranib Sept 2017 Dec 17
FOLFOX with desensitization protocol - current

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:10 pm

KElizabeth wrote:Here's to a better new year and may cancer go straight to Hell.
Stay here and kick up some shit now and then so we can remember we're all going through rough times and deserve a place to vent now and then.
~Elizabeth.

Could not have said it better.

Everyone, be safe out there this weekend.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:13 pm

Nik,

Not sure what happened, did not read the posts. I do know you have always been nice and helpful toward me.

I can say I have felt the sting of what I felt was a snarky remark made toward me by a fellow member over some wording I had used. My first instinct was to shoot off an equally snarky response. I typed up several, and deleted every single one. That practice helped me get it out and not cause issues with others. I know it doesn't work for everyone but just an idea I thought I would throw out there.

Hugs to you Nik, sending prayers your way
Beans.
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Surgery 1 - 11/2015 LAR and colostomy
Surgery 2 - 11/2015 wound vac
Surgery 3 - 12/2015 revise resection, move colostomy
Mets to liver - tumor inoperable - one add'l met destroyed
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Primary tumor 9 cm x 7.5 cm x 2 cm
Beginning Folfox 1/2016 - Failed
Beginning Folfiri and vectibix 8/2016 — Failed
Beginning Folfirinox + Avastin 11/2016 - Failed
Beginning Keytruda 1/2017
CEA drop from 345 to 7.3 after starting immunotherapy
Lynch positive 3/2016

Kick'nAssCancer'sAss

Postby Kick'nAssCancer'sAss » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:00 pm

This is a cancer chat board/forum so put your big boy/girl pants on.
If you want sugar coating, head down the cereal aisle.
Last edited by Kick'nAssCancer'sAss on Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
53M Dx RC Halloween 2013
CT & BONE scan
MRI/T3N0M0 1 suspicious LN
5 wks chemo/rad
LAR open TME Feb 26/14
temp bag
0/24 nodes pCR/pathological
Folfox (8) Mar 28-Jul 4 /14
Aug/14 clear CT scan
Aug 27/14 reversal
Feb/15 clear scope
July/15 Feb/16 Feb/17 Feb/18 clear CT scans
Feb/18 clear scope
Sept 19 clear CT scan & DISCHARGED :P
Mar/23 clear scope
CEA 1.6 @ dx
1.6,1.4,1.7,2.4,2.9, 2.7 2.3 2.5 2.2 2.1 2.5 2.6 2.7
2.7 Sept 19
0-4 normal
https://kickingasscancersass.blogspot.com/

MDK

Postby MDK » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:26 pm

I read the board a lot but rarely post.

Most of us, I would guess, live a life that, in the larger scheme of things, very few can relate to. Our days are not "normal". We have a cloud hanging over our heads very few understand. My thoughts daily run the gambit and end with the thought, I DON"T WANT TO DIE!

I think we can cut each other a little slack. We all ride an emotional rollercoaster, some of our cars go faster, some go slower.

I thank everyone here for every piece of information they have shared.

Cancer is horrible torture to those stricken and their family and friends.

Lets hope 2017 gives all of us some peace.
Diagnosed 11/9/2015
Stage III Rectal Cancer
Began Chemoradiation 01/04/2016
Completed Chemoradiation 2/17/16
Local Excision
Developed Rectovaginal Fistula
06/24/16 APR / Flap Repair Fistula
Permanent Colostomy
09/20/2016 Liver Mets, possible Lung Mets
9/16 - 11/17 Xeloda and Avastin to progression
12/17 - 01/18 Folfox 6 sessions liver tumor shrank considerably - severe allergic reaction
01/18 - 04/18 Xeloda and Avastin - Progression
06/18 Avastin and Irinotecan

Philippians 4:6-7

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:37 pm

MDK wrote:I read the board a lot but rarely post.

Most of us, I would guess, live a life that, in the larger scheme of things, very few can relate to. Our days are not "normal". We have a cloud hanging over our heads very few understand. My thoughts daily run the gambit and end with the thought, I DON"T WANT TO DIE!

I think we can cut each other a little slack. We all ride an emotional rollercoaster, some of our cars go faster, some go slower.

I thank everyone here for every piece of information they have shared.

Cancer is horrible torture to those stricken and their family and friends.

Lets hope 2017 gives all of us some peace.

MDK,

You are so right “I DON'T WANT TO DIE!!" goes through my mind many many times a day. This battle is tiring, and it affects your mood. Add in other factors such as money, support from family, the quality of care one has available to them. It is going to make a difference, those factors are different for everyone.

No one person has traveled the exact same path as anyone else through this. None of us have the same quality of life as someone else. Maybe taking a step back and asking ourselves what is going on in their life that could be affecting them this way would be helpful.

Granted some people are naturally jerks, but there isn't anything that can be done about that.

I know from now on when I see a post where someone seems upset I will make sure to offer a helping hand either through pm or right in the thread. After all, isn't that what this board is for?
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Surgery 1 - 11/2015 LAR and colostomy
Surgery 2 - 11/2015 wound vac
Surgery 3 - 12/2015 revise resection, move colostomy
Mets to liver - tumor inoperable - one add'l met destroyed
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Primary tumor 9 cm x 7.5 cm x 2 cm
Beginning Folfox 1/2016 - Failed
Beginning Folfiri and vectibix 8/2016 — Failed
Beginning Folfirinox + Avastin 11/2016 - Failed
Beginning Keytruda 1/2017
CEA drop from 345 to 7.3 after starting immunotherapy
Lynch positive 3/2016

Buckeye

Postby Buckeye » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:56 pm

Nik, I have been on here for 1 year now and I don't give a rats ass about being PC correct. I like you for telling it like it is. We all have one thing in common on this forum and that is colon cancer! We all try to help each other in any way we can. I was fortunate enough to have caught mine in the early stage and still visit this board once or twice a week. I can't answer questions about chemo or radiation, but I chime in when I feel I am of some help. Keep the faith and may all of you kick the shit out of this disease and have a cancer free 2017 Happy New Years!!!!
Dx 10/20/15 stage 1 T1N0M0 1.3cmx1.1cmx1cm low grade ( well to moderately differentiated) Rectal cancer age 47
Loving Husband and father of two girls age 19 & 15 Sole income provider
CEA <0.5
CT, MRI and PET show no metastatic spread
LAR Laparoscopic TME 11/30/15 with Illo
Pathology clean no lymph node or vascular involvement. Confirmed Stage1
No chemo/rad cancer free now and forever.
Illo reversal 01/26/16

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:16 pm

There are so many other cancer resources online between all the private pages on FB, CSN etc. I think if you find this forum doesn't suit your personality or meet your needs it would mean it's time to move on. I've been on here for many years now and I can honestly say it is the most supportive, honest place I visit on the internet. It has been a lifesaver more than once.

I hope you find peace in 2017.

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”